Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Walking on sand burns 50% more calories ?

Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows the calories burned for walking on sand it doesnt seem to be in the exercise calorie counter. i have had a brief look online and some sites say it burns 50% more calories than walking on a flat surface. i dont want to add it too the calorie counter as yet till i know that ive got it right... any websites i can look at to count this for me... or does anyone have this allready?

Replies

• RachelReady2Run
    RachelReady2Run Posts: 40 Member
    I'm not sure about the math, but I know for me, walking/running on LOOSE sand is a lot more challenging. If I am on wet sand, it doesn't seem to be as challenging. Sooooo count me in, I'd like to know too :)
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Definitely has to be loose, dry sand to make a difference. Wet sand is just as good as walking on the front lawn.

I have no idea how many more calories it actually burns.. I hate to toss in the HRM towel, but that's the only way you're going to know for sure..

Jealous! I wish I lived close enough to the beach to utilize its benefits!
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    I ran at Waikiki Beach in Hawaii last year and I was wearing my heart rate monitor at the time. I had about a 25% increase in calories burned while beach running vs just running on pavement. It was on both loose sand and wet sand. Running on loose sand was a lot more difficult and that's where I was burning the most calories. Wet sand has a little more stability to it than the loose sand.