Kashi Cereal..

Options
Soo..I've been eating Go Lean Crunch Kashi cereal every morning. It's extremely filling and helps keep me on track, however the sugar is so high in it, it's hard to stay under for the day. Is it as bad as it seems? I've lost a few pounds already and haven't been really giving it my all for too long so I guess I can't complain, haha..but just thought I'd ask everyone's opinion. Maybe you guys know of a better cereal out there with about the same amount of fiber & protein but not such a huge amount of sugar?

Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• alacarte
    alacarte Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You might want to try oatmeal. You have the option to choose steel cut oats (probably the best for you) they cook in 45 mins, or rolled oats that cook in 5mins or quick oats that take 1 min. This gives you the option of adding fruit, cinnamon, raisins or whatever you like. My personal favorite is the 5 minute variety with 2 tbsp of raisins, 1 tsp of smart balance, and a dash of unsweetened almond milk.

Enjoy experimenting!!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    When I'm in the mood for cereal I reach for Kashi. I can't eat it very often because I can't digest milk very well and milk subsitutes aren't appealing to me. I have the almond/flaxseed one. It never hindered my weightloss when I was eating it on the regular.

I wish I liked oatmeal....well I haven't tried it for years. Maybe I should give it a try and add my own fruit.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal with 1/4 tsp of vanilla, a sprinkling of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of brown sugar. I find it pretty tasty. It's even better made with a little milk. Some people find they like oatmeal with Peanut Butter or even onions and soy sauce and a fried egg.

But back to the OP- I don't think it's too awful. If you like it and it keeps you full, have at it. If your other sugars are coming from fruit, natural dairy or other "natural" sources, going over won't be the end of the world. How much sugar is in it?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If it's working for you and you like it, why change? Kashi products are so high in fiber you don't have to worry about a glucose spike due to the sugar.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Kashi!! I don't eat the go lean crunch as a bowl of cereal, I use it as a granola for my yogurt. I got hooked on the honey sunshine which to me takes like a less sugary honeycomb. I believe it's 6 grams of sugar per serving. Also think the Berry blossom is delicious!!! Fruity pebbles with....you guessed it less sugar lol!. Also try multi grain cheerios they make my tummy smile. Hope this helps! :wink:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I wish I liked oatmeal....well I haven't tried it for years. Maybe I should give it a try and add my own fruit.

I've never liked oatmeal. I just can't stand the texture of it. But I've found that I really love oats mixed with peanut butter and just a touch of pure maple syrup. Uncooked. It's very chewy and thick, but absolutely delicious.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

I've never liked oatmeal. I just can't stand the texture of it. But I've found that I really love oats mixed with peanut butter and just a touch of pure maple syrup. Uncooked. It's very chewy and thick, but absolutely delicious.

I will give that a try. I'm a fiend for peanut butter.
  • jeannas
    jeannas Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Ever try mixing a 1/2 cup of Go Lean Crunch with a 1/2 cup of other low sugar cereal? I have used Cheerios, Total (lots of vitamins).

Good luck! You are doing great!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I REALLY like the toasted berry crunch by Kashi...The calories are pretty dense, but if I eat a whole cup of it with a whole cup of milk, I'm full for a while...I usually save this for my breakfast on the weekends since I often have a harder time getting calories in on the weekend ..
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I love the GoLean Crunch with almond/flax as well but lately I've started eating Special K Protein Plus.
  • whiskyzee
    whiskyzee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love the Kashi cereal, but I was concerned about the sugar content too. After some research and experimentation, I've stopped tracking my sugar intake. I very rarely eat processed sugar, and all the unprocessed sugar (raw honey, things sweetened with beet/cane juice) and fruit I eat was sending my tracker through the roof, which made me feel guilty, although I was energetic and losing weight. Instead, if I eat a "sweet" food regularly, I test my body's reaction to it. After a bowl of cereal, how do you feel? Alert and active, or sluggish? Full or bloated? Do you crash in an hour? Are you ravenously hungry 20 minutes later (this is my body's reation to chemical seeteners--it took me a week to figure out that my sugar-free yogurt was making me eat like an adolescent boy)? If you're concerned, then you can mix it, but I prefer to focus on my body's reaction to particular foods instead of on a generic number.

Another tip: cinnamon can help regulate your blood sugar. If you track your blood sugar, try adding it to sweet things (like cereal) before you test.

If you're highly active/an athlete, this NY Times article might interest you:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/04/how-sugar-affects-the-body-in-motion/?ref=health
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Try Kashi Go Lean. IMO, the Crunch is great, but has too much sugar in it. You can keep the crunch on hand to add to some greek yogurt on occasion. Otherwise, oatmeal or eggs would be a great start to your day! More protein, less sugar. :D
  • jmessgirl
    jmessgirl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much for your ideas!! GREATLY appreciated!! :heart: :flowerforyou: