What to pack for lunch on a day out?

Options
essbe
essbe Posts: 65 Member
When you head on a day out with the family and you know everyone will end up eating fast food for lunch &/or dinner on the go, what do you take with you to eat?

Do you make sandwiches etc and actually pack a lunch/dinner in a lunchbox like for kids school lunches? Or have a preferred take away place for the family to go which has a 'lite' option you can have? Or take an apple to help you hold out until you can get home and make something decent? Or...????

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I eat with the fam and work the calories into my day. The world will not come to an end if you eat out once in a blue moon. I've said it before, this is about changing your lifestyle, but not turning that lifestyle into torture. Enjoy the day out and about, try to make a sensible choice, work out later if you can, and don't sweat it if you are a few calories over for one day....
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Double post... Sorry
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I researched what I can eat at the fast food places (gotta love the food database) so that my family doesn't feel like they're being denied because of my new eating habits. Most of them offer salads now, so it is possible to eat out. I've actually noticed my kids and husband ordering healthier options along with me, which is a plus!

The other thing I do is take Slimfast shakes and fruit for a "picnic lunch" if we're going to the lake, hiking, etc. They are more filling than I expected -- I actually take them to work for lunch most days, too.
  • scrappymel
    scrappymel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i eat with the fam. just pick something sensible.
  • mexiana
    mexiana Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I eat with the fam and work the calories into my day. The world will not come to an end if you eat out once in a blue moon. I've said it before, this is about changing your lifestyle, but not turning that lifestyle into torture. Enjoy the day out and about, try to make a sensible choice, work out later if you can, and don't sweat it if you are a few calories over for one day....

This is what I do as well, and usually I do stay within calories, but remember, if you didn't cook it you probably will gain water weight for a couple days due to sodium!
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I loved what TNGirlGirl said.. because of her choices, her family is making better choices too! Nice! :flowerforyou:
  • makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options
    make your own sandwhiches, or suggest subway or pita pit somewhere where you can get a healthier option. or when in doubt go for a salad if they dont agree to the place you want you can stay totally healthy by asking them if its a nice restaurant to make it with WAY LESS FATS
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I pack A peanut butter and banana wrap.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I pack snacks and water if I know we're going to be out all day (unfortunately I usually don't know, we just wind up being gone). If we are going somewhere like the zoo, I pack lunches in a cooler. But this has more to do with frugality, than managing my eating plan. When we go out, I try to make careful choices and fold them into my plan. Sometimes that means I have a workout when we get home. Sometimes that means I am more conservative with my calories over the next few days. But usually it just means that I blow out my sodium goal, because it's much easier for me to manage my calories than to manage sodium when we eat out (today being a prime example).
  • ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Depends what I am doing and where I am going- if I know the options are going to be limited, I'll pack something. If it's somewhere I know I can get something reasonable, I go with that- my family aren't into fast food so we would usually end up at a diner or deli or something. My go-to is always a turkey sandwich on wholewheat, loaded with lettuce/tomato and mustard!

Often, I will throw something in my purse like those no-drain pouches of tuna and some fruit. Then I know that wherever I go, I can order just a plain salad or a plain baked potato and turn it into more of a meal.
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    this was my meal plan for yesterday (excluding dinner + snack which i had at home)

Breakfast: banana cinnamon oats

Pre-packed: vegies, nuts, apple, yoghurt

To do: scoop avocado, make sandwich [ham + cheese]

Dinner: salmon, vegies, beans, tofu

Dessert: milk + dark chocolate square

cooler bags, ice packs, thermoses are your friend.
  • jcl1981
    jcl1981 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    usually i find that knowing where i am going to eat helps alot. If you are going to a fast food place, like mcdonalds for expample, they have salads just watch the dressing, subway (no brainer), olive garden (they have a lower calorie menu just ask, point is you can eat anywhere and still eat healthy even a 4pc mcnugget and small fries with diet soda is not so bad, about 400 calories. The point of being on a healthy eating plan is finding a way to integrate into your real world life.
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    I usually find out where they are planning to eat and make sure I order something sensible that will fit into my day.

If it is somewhere that I don't like eating at (gag KFC or somewhere quick and gross), I will pack usually a luna bar and a hard boiled egg, or an apple with string cheese just to take the edge off until I get home.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

yep same.

If i know where we will probably be eating, ill peruse the menu online earlier, and look for something reasonably healthy looking, but if you cant even enjoy a meal with your family anymore its gone too far