Can I work out twice in one day?

Options
I was thinking about doing intense cardio (Insanity workout DVDs) in the early morning and then doing weights in the late morning or early afternoon. My body is already used to intense workouts, I just want to know if it's okay or would I just be 'damaging' my muscles and body for working out too much?

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You'll need to very carefully monitor your nutrition, but sure. Still keep at least a couple of rest days a week and make sure you have a mobility regiment going too.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    An intense workout (like Insanity as the name implies), causes a great deal of stress on your body. Stress creates cortisol, which in response to a good workout is ok. But add another one on top (cortisol on top of cortisol) and you’ll eventually end up with adrenal fatigue (aka over-training). You may be able to handle this in the short run, but Insanity is a program that has daily workouts and precise periods of active rest.

My advice is to find a way to add progressive increases in intensity. And growth happens during rest, not during work.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hmm, I would have said absolutely do it. I plan on running at lunch and hitting weights or swimm after work.

There was a mention in one of the latest runners world magazines that took the position that there was absolutely nothing wrong with splitting up your runs. I can't see how this is any different. Obviously if you over do it, you'll adjust it. So I personally say try it out. And perhaps check out the RW article. How would this bee any different than say a cardio instructor that has am and pm class? Just be smart about it. (Google reputable information)
    http://m.runnersworld.com/running-tips/pros-and-cons-running-twice-day?page=single

I ran twice today for the first time. I really loved it.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you don't already, might try an amino acid supplement. They are great for muscle recovery. I use monster amino and its just 10 calories. So awesome to negate some of the soreness.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Granted I have been at this a while but I have been known to put in three a day on occasion (usually on a weekend day). It's fairly common that I get in two good sessions a day during the week.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about doing intense cardio (Insanity workout DVDs) in the early morning and then doing weights in the late morning or early afternoon. My body is already used to intense workouts, I just want to know if it's okay or would I just be 'damaging' my muscles and body for working out too much?

If you are used to working out twice a day and can handle doing it then I think it is perfectly fine to do both. Although I would recommend lifting weights first if you can followed by Insanity. I'm currently in week 4 of Insanity Max 30 and have been lifting heavy weights at the gym 3 times a week as well as doing Insanity Max 30. I do weightlifting first followed by Insanity Max 30 after I've had a short rest and something to eat. If you plan on doing both just make sure you are eating enough during the day to power you through both workouts. There were one or two days that I did weightlifting and Max 30 and didn't eat enough so it was very difficult to get through the Max 30 workout. Good luck with Insanity. It is an awesome program.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat and sleep enough. Wouldn't do it everyday.

Also, I'd mix up the types of cardio. HIIT will significantly impact your recovery a lot more than LISS or MISS cardio.

Eat plenty of carbs between training sessions as this is one time when glcyogen replenishment post workout matters.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be lifting daily, unless you're doing a split. Otherwise, listen to your body. If you feel too tired/sore/fatigued/whatever, take a rest. Make sure you're fueling for both workouts.
  • eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I heard that there should be an 8 hour window between cardio and weights. I do weights daily but I do legs one day and then arms. And rotate. I always start with some planks and crunches though, daily. My goal is to do a brisk walk in the morning before work. Weights at lunch. And walk in the evening. That isnt really an 8 hour gap, but its not very intense and I want to get moving more.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I exercise twice a day, and have been fine. I do a morning workout (elliptical), and then gym it at lunch with weights and/or a run (about 5 hours later). I have even been known to take a dance class once a week, and have a 3rd activity for the day. You know your limits, see what works for you.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason not to, as long as you go about it the right way. Don't work the same muscle groups every day. Legs one day, upper body the next. Muscles need recovery time to build. You'll need to build in one or two rest days each week, as well.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Insanity is a very intense workout (not sure if you've done it before). I did it a couple of years ago and like you my intent was to do a double workout: insanity as my cardio and then my weight lifting every day. That did not end up happening. I was pretty exhausted after my insanity and the thought of going to the gym to do another workout wasn't very appealing.

You can try it for a few weeks and see if it sticks but for me it didn't work out the way I had planned.

It isn't a bad thing to do two workouts. Right now I do that: I lift in the mornings and in the afternoon I do my DDP yoga. In a few months I'll be adding cardio when I start training for a duathlon that takes place in May.
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    2 a days never hurt the 16 year old football team. Just a joke. Even they only do it for a short definite period of time for a specific reason. I would not make it my routine but to get something going sure.