Has anyone had trouble with loose skin?

Options
My boyfriend and I are using this year to become the people we always dreamed of being. He's 6'1 and around 500, and I'm around 250 and 5'5. He's lost about 200lbs before but gained it back, and I lost about 60lbs and gained it back (plus a hell of a lot more) - for me that created extra flabby arms. I guess what I'm asking is how many people encounter saggy skin, to what degree, and how they countered it (if at all). Thanks!

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lose slowly, lift heavy, drink water.
  • KaishaDarling
    KaishaDarling Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym but I'm a little bit afraid of the weight section. Do you have any tips for what you mean by "lift heavy"? I don't know much about reps, sets, or routines
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've lost 126lbs. I have loads of loose skin which nothing seems to be helping. I had loads of stretch marks so I guess I stretched out my skin so much that only so much of it could be expected to go back. Once I reach my goal I'm going to try and see if a bulk will help it somewhat.
    Being more energised and healthy is worth the extra skin. Its still sucks though :(
  • randomtai
    Options
    I go to the gym but I'm a little bit afraid of the weight section. Do you have any tips for what you mean by "lift heavy"? I don't know much about reps, sets, or routines

Look up Stronglifts 5X5.... a great beginner program. Don't let a section of the gym intimidate you, you pay for your gym membership, you can use the whole gym.
  • KaishaDarling
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Look up Stronglifts 5X5.... a great beginner program. Don't let a section of the gym intimidate you, you pay for your gym membership, you can use the whole gym.

Thanks! That actually makes me feel a little bit better. And I'll definitely look up that program.
    lemur_lady wrote: »
    I've lost 126lbs. I have loads of loose skin which nothing seems to be helping. I had loads of stretch marks so I guess I stretched out my skin so much that only so much of it could be expected to go back. Once I reach my goal I'm going to try and see if a bulk will help it somewhat.
    Being more energised and healthy is worth the extra skin. Its still sucks though :(

Congratulations on your weight loss! How long did it take you to lose it, and how old are you? That's an incredible feat for anyone!

Has anyone had surgery to remove excess skin? Is that totally just superficial and vain?
  • lemur_lady
    Options

Look up Stronglifts 5X

Congratulations on your weight loss! How long did it take you to lose it, and how old are you? That's an incredible feat for anyone!

Has anyone had surgery to remove excess skin? Is that totally just superficial and vain?

It has taken me about 19months so far. I've still got about 30lbs or so to go. I'm only 24 so the loose skin sucks a lot more than I think it would do if I was older.

I'm not against getting surgery to fix it. Its just the cost :(
  • lemur_lady
    Options
    Arrgh can't quote to save my life lol
  • randomtai
    Options

Thanks! That actually makes me feel a little bit better. And I'll definitely look up that program.

Nothing wrong with surgery to get rid of skin, sometimes insurance might cover it if it is something that causes skin irritation or what have you.
  • KaishaDarling
    Options
    I'm turning 24 on Monday! I need to lose about 135 to reach my goal weight. I feel like I'm going to have a lot of skin leftover too. I guess I shouldn't focus on that aspect of it and instead appreciate all the new things I'll be able to do with my life. How much does surgery cost anyway?
  • lindanewland37
    lindanewland37 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've lost a little over 80 pounds and have probably another 100 to lose. I am pear shaped and I do have loose skin already, especially in my legs. I'm afraid I am going to look like a Shar Pei from the waist down before long - LOL. I'm turning 60 years old this year and have been extremely overweight for about 30 years - so that skin has been stretched out for a long time. I don't think it's vain to worry about the skin or consider skin surgery. I often watch that program on TLC called "My 600 Pound Life" and most of those folks end up with skin removal surgery just to help their mobility. Good luck with your weight loss journey.
  • KaishaDarling
    Options
    I've lost a little over 80 pounds and have probably another 100 to lose. I am pear shaped and I do have loose skin already, especially in my legs. I'm afraid I am going to look like a Shar Pei from the waist down before long - LOL. I'm turning 60 years old this year and have been extremely overweight for about 30 years - so that skin has been stretched out for a long time. I don't think it's vain to worry about the skin or consider skin surgery. I often watch that program on TLC called "My 600 Pound Life" and most of those folks end up with skin removal surgery just to help their mobility. Good luck with your weight loss journey.

Congratulations on your weight loss! That's amazing! Good luck to you too, you're an inspiration :smile:
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's superficial and vain to consider all your options when it comes to the possibility of loose skin. I'm gonna have hellish loose skin once I get to my goal (down 135 with about 70 left to go). When I first started losing weight and would talk about the possibilities of skin removal in the future...my family was part of the "totally superficial and vain" train of thought, but now that the weight is coming off and they can see the loose skin that's already there… they are coming around to the idea that it would probably be a good idea for me.

As to whether or not you'll have lots of loose skin to deal with… that almost seems to be a genetic roulette wheel. Some do… some don't. Deal with it when/if it comes. Good luck!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I have about 72 lbs to go before I hit goal, and my skin is already a mess from my 3 babies. I'm not really worried about loose skin, but if the 'mother's apron' doesn't go away, I'm totally looking into my insurance covering a panniculectomy. It's already starting to cause issues. :s