Want to try Insanity, but...

Options
I am very unfit. I can only do about 5 girly push-ups, if that, and generally, my fitness levels are very poor (although I'm not severely overweight - 5 ft 7 and 154 pounds).

I glanced through the videos and got a bit tired just looking at them. I would love to try it but there is no way I will be able to complete a set of exercises, nor do it with proper form. Can I go ahead and try it anyway or might I cause some problems for myself if I manage to survive the workouts? Should I focus on building some basic level of fitness and endurance before attempting it?

I have tried going to the gym, but it's just not for me, I'd much rather do something alone at home (or outside).

Replies

• Stephanie14mfp
    Stephanie14mfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been doing insanity and I myself are similar height weight and not exactly fit, but I have enjoyed the workouts yes they are hard but do it and try and enjoy them. Have a towel ready cos you will sweat have water lots of it ready and don't be scared embrace it lol.
    It's easier then it looks and I don't have perfect form but over time that will get better try it out there is. I better time like the present :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Start with the fit test, log what you can do. When you go back in six weeks or whatever it is, you will see how much progress you have made! It's fun, super hard, and you can modify as much as needed to your level. C'mon, y'all! Let's GOOOOOOOOO! Love Shawn T!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Give it a shot. Even if you don't get to the end you'll get farther each time. You can rest when you need and jump back in.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    The first time I did Insanity I stopped after 5 minutes. By the end of two months I was able to complete the work out. It's tough but don't judge yourself. Just do what you can. If you can't do the whole thing right away, who cares? You are trying. Sean T is dreamy BTW. Worth watching lol.
  • TheDoughnutTheif
    TheDoughnutTheif Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    The best thing about Insanity or any of Shaun T's workouts are you do what you can. If you give it your all in just two weeks you will surprise your self with what you are able to accomplish. I started using Insanity when I was 210lbs and very out of shape I am 5'8". If you are worried you can always start with T25 then move up to Insanity.
  • pgorham1014
    Options
    I just started insanity for my 2nd time. I am 5'2" and was totally out of shape when j started.. its tough (I took like a million breaks), but if you stay with it, it is amazing! After the first month I had a ton of energy and began running along with the month 2 insanity. Not to mention I lost over 50 inches from my body and 40 pounds.

Do it! It works! Its awesome! :)
  • slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I started with Insanity and it took alot of pauses to get thru it the first time. By the time I was done with round one, I was ready to do it again and skipped the modifiers and the pauses! There are other options, but I personally prefer Shaun T to the other trainers.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I read your profile and was thinking, why not start with some basic forms of cardio such as walking more, and walking those stairs. Maybe walk one or two flights for a week or two and then build up (add a fight) and when you're walking, start running between telephone poles or any sort of marker or even for 5 - 10 seconds and again build up, adding more and more. Once you feel stronger, maybe jump into Insanity. I had actually purchased it a couple of weeks ago, but didn't open it (I was floundering). I've heard great things, but just decided, I'd rather put the money into something I know I'd do for sure. I decided to purchase a bike instead and I'm glad I did. I love being outside too, not cooped up indoors.
  • Foxgym
    Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I prefer the new P90 it's the on switch to fitness is the claim, and it does just what it says on the tin :smile: BUT whatever you do find something you enjoy, or even grow to love. have you looked at 'Zumba' or perhaps 'Pyo' they look fun.

Good luck on your journey :)
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Give it a try. If you need to take a break (or 10 or 50) take them! You will notice even the people in the video have to take breaks. Do what you can, and the next workout try to do a little more. Do the pushups on your knees until you feel strong enough to try some on your toes.

The point of it is to improve YOUR numbers. So it doesn't matter if at the beginning you can only do 5 modified pushups (I hate calling them girl pushups lol). If you stick with it, it is guaranteed you will be able to do more than that by the end.
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Start with the fit test, log what you can do. When you go back in six weeks or whatever it is, you will see how much progress you have made! It's fun, super hard, and you can modify as much as needed to your level. C'mon, y'all! Let's GOOOOOOOOO! Love Shawn T!

That fit test by itself is enough of a workout for the rest of my life. whew.

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Modify the moves as you need to. I never do the switch kicks (with the jump) b/c they're too hard for my knees, so I just kick my legs as high as I can without the jump. It makes me go slower than they do, but I'm keeping myself from injury.

Maybe give Insanity Max 30 a try, it comes with a built in modifier and it's just as hard as Insanity (IMO).
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I would recommend a strength training program instead, coupled with diet so you will keep your muscle as you lose weight. I did Insanity twice, and I wish I would have lifted weights instead...I didn't learn about weights until after the fact. MUCH MUCH easier and easier on your body with great results!!

I bought a used barbell set off Craigslist and work out at home...I agree with you, I prefer this to the gym.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    When I did Insanity, I started by doing the moves with good form and took breaks as I needed. Even if it meant that I was going at half the speed of the instructors, I was making sure my form was good to avoid injury.
    After one week, I notice that I was able to go longer without a break, and my speed was beginning to increase.
    Even today, with my fitness being much better, I still can't keep the same pace as the instructors, but I can go at the pace I am comfortable with only taking breaks when the instructors do.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The thing with Insanity is, if you need a break, take a break. Don't pause the video, just get back in when you can. You'll get better over time.

When I first started a year ago I couldn't finish the warmup. I've done two rounds all the way through and now I do the workouts a couple times a week. I can get all the way to the 2nd circuit with only the breaks they give you. Just last week I was able to keep up with the cast through the level 3 drills for the first time (16 pushups, 16 mountain climbers, twice through in 45 seconds).

The progress will come. Just focus on form and landing softly on the jumps.
  • crimsonpaw
    crimsonpaw Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    At least 50% of the failure in these programs is mental. Once you get over the "I can't do it" hump, half the battle will be over. I'm about 25lbs overweigh and am on my 3rd week of P90X - let me tell you, just getting through a workout without stopping was a goal I set. My first few days, the 60 minute workout probably took 80 minutes since I was also working on not dying!

Now I get through the workouts without a pause; granted I may finish a little earlier than those on the video, but I stick with it which is where you'll see the results. There's still a ton of work a head of me, but (and you'll get to this place too) I no longer look at the workouts as "can I do this", but more of "can I do this better than last time". There are still certain days that I dread, but nothing worth having is ever easy :wink: Good luck, the first step is one of the toughest.
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just finished the fit test. The results were pretty pathetic but at least I had fun :smiley:
    Can't wait for tomorrow!
  • Stephanie14mfp
    Stephanie14mfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yay! Happy to hear you did the fit test and are now starting your journey to an insane body!! Get on it I started mine again today as well you inspired me to get back on the insanity journey keep us updated on progress and measure those stats legs waist hips arms etc so you see the difference 60 days make
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have a real love/hate relationship with Insanity. When I started, I couldn't even make it through the warm-up without being out of breath and taking my first water break. I could only do about 20% of the workouts. It's tough and it beats you up pretty good. After day 3, I could barely walk because my muscles were so sore. My fit test was also really pathetic.

Now, I'm on week 3. I can make it all the way through the warm-ups without any problem and I can do 80-90% of the reps on all of the other exercises. It's amazing how fast my fitness level has improved in such a short period of time, and I'm down 10.4 lbs.

Listen to Shaun T. Push yourself to your limits, but only if you're able to do the exercises with proper form. If you're pushing through the exercises but not doing them right, then you'll risk injury. It's better to do one or two Level 1 Drills with correct form than to do twenty with poor form. The proper form will train your body the right way and before you know it, you'll almost be able to keep up with the incredibly fit people on the video.

Even being over half-way through week 3 and seeing results, I sometimes dread the workout and my mind starts wandering to other things I could be doing. I have done really well about keeping myself motivated, but I have to talk myself into doing the workout every day. Even though I dread it before I start, I feel so accomplished when it's over that it makes the whole thing worthwhile and I love it! It helps keep me motivated how good I feel when I complete one of the videos.

Congratulations on starting Insanity! It's a great video to start with in my opinion. It helps boost your cardio and teaches you some really good habits that you can use if you move on to other videos. Once I complete Insanity, I think I'm going to give P90x a shot.

Keep us posted on your progress and if you need any help with motivation, feel free to reach out to us. This community is amazing about helping others with motivation and support!
  • chrissysue
    chrissysue Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Don't be intimidated!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Modify when you need to. Insanity is an awesome program! I keep telling myself I am going to restart on Monday...... Monday never seems to get here.