Walnuts good or bad for you???

Options
I love walnuts but they are high in calories for such a small amount not to mention the bad fat so to eat or not to eat is the question?!

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Eat them, log them, love them.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    There is no "bad fat" in walnuts. Count the calories, and enjoy them.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Almost any food can be good in moderation and bad in excess.

Practice portion control. Work the calories into your day. Enjoy.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The only thing bad about walnuts is the calories, so eat them, but in moderation.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Very good for you, but measure them, the calories add up quickly. I toast them and put on the top of my steel cut oatmeal. Pretty much all nuts are high calorie, so all things in moderation, and enjoy!
  • nessiea2006
    Options
    Have some before a workout. They are a great snack packed with the good fats! Moderation is always the key!
  • DGavriel
    Options
    My main concern is the polyunsaturated fat myfitnesspal says my daily goal is 0 but if I have walnuts I can't stay at zero???
  • Laurend224
    Options
    DGavriel wrote: »
    My main concern is the polyunsaturated fat myfitnesspal says my daily goal is 0 but if I have walnuts I can't stay at zero???

Am I wrong in thinking that there is no max for poly unsaturated fats, and that's why it's zero?
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I love nuts as a snack. Yes, they have fat, but a little bit of fat can go a long way toward helping you feel satisfied and keeping you from wanting to snack on other things.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and omega 3 fats are "healthy" fats that have been shown in studies to lower "bad" cholesterol levels and reduce risk of heart disease. More of those -- within reason -- is better.

The reason MFP's goal for these fats is 0 is simple: Most food labels don't contain this information. Since the database is largely user-generated, most users can't add the info if they don't have it.

As long as you're under your overall calorie and fat goals, more of these fats is better. The ones you want to watch out for are the "bad" fats, namely, keeping your saturated fat levels down, and trying to keep trans fats as close as possible to zero.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Am I wrong in thinking that there is no max for poly unsaturated fats, and that's why it's zero?

Not so much that there's no max, but that there is only an RDA for total fat, trans fat, and saturated fat - the remainder should be broken down between mono-unsaturated and poly-unsaturated (obviously), but there's no official recommendation of how much should be of which, so MFP shows "0" as the recommendation. There's no need to consume less than 0 of it.

OP - walnuts have good fats. Make them fit your calorie and macro goals. Enjoy.
  • Sarahland
    Sarahland Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Walnuts contain fats that are essential for proper heart and brain function. Embrace fat. It is better for you that you have been led to believe.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I have to have my nuts every single day. I prefer cashews and macadamia nuts though. but they are good for you. Just watch the portion size.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Not so much that there's no max, but that there is only an RDA for total fat, trans fat, and saturated fat - the remainder should be broken down between mono-unsaturated and poly-unsaturated (obviously), but there's no official recommendation of how much should be of which, so MFP shows "0" as the recommendation. There's no need to consume less than 0 of it.

OP - walnuts have good fats. Make them fit your calorie and macro goals. Enjoy.

Aha! Thank you!
  • DGavriel
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Its my favorite ! and cashews - but I always have them on my oatmeal when I have breakfast or just snack on them. Yes they add up quickly so I make sure I only get about 7-8 pcs which is about 1/2 a serving and drink it down with water or taste lingers and would want to eat the whole bag :disagree:
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... walnuts!! They're not bad... not bad at all.

I could eat a lot of different types of nuts, but I freaking break out like a teenager still when I do!! Ugh... :grumble:
  • MolassesCoveredTurtle
    Options
    Absolutely LOVE the World's Healthiest Foods Website. Here is the link to walnuts:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=99

Best to you along your nutty journey!

~M.C. Turtle
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Everybody just needs to get over the whole "good food" / "bad food" thing.

It's getting tiresome.