To weigh or not to weigh

Options
I maintained a great weight for quite a long time, then I got tired of logging and tried to maintain without it. As a result of that and an exteme amount of stress in my life lately, I have gained a pretty good amount of weight. I'm starting back on MFP (and not planning to stop logging ever!!), but I'm really afraid to weigh myself. I'm afraid that it will seen overwhelming and discourage me. I'm thinking about starting back for a few weeks before I weigh. But on the other hand, I'm wondering if it would be better to "face the music." Has anyone else been here? What was best for you?

Replies

• SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I think you should do whatever is best for you! It sounds like you are super motivated and committed, either way. One of the bonuses of weighing yourself right at the beginning is that you might get to see that nice loss so many of us see in the first week. Personally, I like to know exactly what I weigh so I can be sure that what I'm doing is working.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I think it's best to just get it over with -- it sucks and it's deflating, but knowing where you started means you can really celebrate how far you go.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    For me I would get on the scale at the beginning so I could at least measure a loss. I think that if you wait a couple of weeks you might be disappointed if you are currently heavier than you think- you could get on it and see that it's not as low as you thought and then that would really be discouraging. Remember you did it before and you can do it again.
  • Scrambyvision
    Options
    You can't look at the scale as some dragon you are trying to slay. The scale is there to aid you. To show you what is working and what isn't. It's there to accompany you on your journey. You need to look at like a good friend. One who would rather tell you the truth, even if it hurts, than tell you what you want hear.
  • aprilwatkins96
    aprilwatkins96 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think weighing yourself now and seeing where you are is important. I know for me, when I stop paying attention to what I weigh, it is usually because I know I am gaining and I don't want to know how much. Continuing to not weigh ends up allowing some level of denial to persist but by weighing yourself you can see where you're really at and proceed from there.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Actually, looking at the scale as dragon to slay actually kinda motivates me as a D&D player. XD

But yeah, I would bit the bullet and go ahead and weigh yourself now. Can't start a journey if you don't have a starting point. Besides, I kinda like having the amount lost show up for me. Makes me feel like I've accomplished stuff. ^_^;
  • kbare85
    kbare85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just do it! This type of avoidance is pointless really. Your weight is just a measuring tool. Honesty is so vitally important in the weight loss process, and you're not helping yourself by avoiding and demonizing the scale.
  • jmoulder
    jmoulder Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I went through the same and did not weight myself. Reason is it makes me depressed, which makes me eat emotionally. I would do MFP for a month - then weight yourself once you have your confidence back. Works for me but just my opinion.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Ignoring the data won't make it less true. Arm yourself with as much information as possible. You got tired of logging and tried to maintain without logging. You also stopped weighing yourself. If you had weighed yourself before now, you may not have backslid as far.

My point is that, the longer you avoid the scale, the easier it is to live in denial. Weigh yourself. Put your weight on the chart (either MFP or whatever you use). Determine how far you have to go, make a plan to get there and stay there. Also, make a plan for how to regularly check in on your weight once you reach your goal.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Step on the scale and get started

Waiting is just prolonging your stress over it
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Step on the scale and get started

Waiting is just prolonging your stress over it

Yep, might as well know where you're at. Could be better than you think? Or, yes, it could be worse, but either way it is just a NUMBER to use as a gauge. It does not define you or your self worth. Also, use a cloth tape measure and take your measurements. Those #'s can be very helpful as well.
  • kitsilana
    kitsilana Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm more of the 'get it over with and face reality' type.
    Is rather know my challenge before I start.