how do i get a nice flat stomach without flab?

Options
NewMeAB2015
NewMeAB2015 Posts: 24 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Im 5'2 n weigh 185. I would like to know what i could do or eat to not just lose weight but end up with a nice flat toned stomach. Any suggestions? :)

Replies

• hhemayed
    hhemayed Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hmm..
    I recommend a program that includes running and Pilates.
    I've tried it. Completely guaranteed. :smiley:
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Swimming and walking did a decent job for me. Going from 185 though you should be prepared for a bit of uneven fat distribution for a while. I went from 218 to down to 118 (and then back to 123 with some muscles) and I had a decent little muffin top going between 185 and 130 ish. It takes time for your body to start absorbing that midsection. Even now more than 2yrs into maintenance I still have some small pockets of uneven on the belly (only noticeable by me and only when naked).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I recommend a caloric restriction, because that's what does it.
  • MikeSanchez2323
    MikeSanchez2323 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    abs are made in the kitchen, so work on your diet first and then focus on strengthening your core. If your diet is not in check then your abs will never make an appearance.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Limit your calories to lose the weight, exercise to not lose all the muscle while losing the fat. If you are hoping for a magic exercise that will help lose fat or excess skin from belly only, it does not exist :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    No exercise program will help you unless you lose the fat through a calorie deficit.

QFT
  • NewMeAB2015
    Options
    Thank u all very much for ur suggestions i hope to accomplish a flat stomach lol
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Hie thee to the General Weight Loss forum and read the "So you want a nice stomach" sticky. Good advice is plentiful.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Hie thee to the General Weight Loss forum and read the "So you want a nice stomach" sticky. Good advice is plentiful.

And here's a link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

But you should definitely check out all of the stickies. They're a great resource.

• oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    No exercise program will help you unless you lose the fat through a calorie deficit.

This ^^ - you wont show them abs till any fat that surrounds it are still there to block it. Work on losing
  • NewMeAB2015
    Options
    Is eating healthy the only way to get a flat stomach or can i eat whatever up to 1200 and workout and do weights n end up having a flat stomach or no?
  • yolo9752
    yolo9752 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Whatever it takes to reduce fat/increase muscle mass. Eating healthy will help since it will help your body do that. Keep lifting!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Is eating healthy the only way to get a flat stomach or can i eat whatever up to 1200 and workout and do weights n end up having a flat stomach or no?

what do you think?
  • NeedMoreJava
    NeedMoreJava Posts: 11 Member
    Options

This mentality won't keep the flat stomach you desire. You have to make lifestyle changes that are permanent.
  • AwesomeSauceTN
    AwesomeSauceTN Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try fitness hooping! It burns crazy calories and really tightens your stomach. I've been doing it since the New Year and have lost 1" off my waist and 1" off my hips. The best part is its so much fun. I bought my hoop 40" 100 psi 3/4" tubing and have been watching videos like Hoopnotica's instructional Level 1 video. I just put on some tunes and dance with my hoop. Doesn't feel like exercise at all! I will be ready for summer (:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Yes and no.

1. 1200 calories is probably not an appropriate calorie goal for you. Go in and change your settings from lose 2 pounds a week to lose 1 pound a week.
    2. You need adequate protein for tissue repair, adequate fat for metabolism and adequate carbs for energy.
    3. If you ate no fruits or vegetables or protein you could lose weight, but you wouldn't give your body the micronutrients it needs and your health would suffer.
    4. If you don't fuel your body appropriately you'll end up using lean mass, meaning you have to lose even more weight to have a flat stomach.

Flat stomach comes from low body fat and adequate lean mass. Fuel your body well, fit in treats, hit your macros and do some sort of resistance training. Also check out the stomach fat thread, I wrote it and it's pretty good.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Might want to do a little more research there.

As for your question. Think about what you asked. What do you think?
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    1,200 a day is probably fine as long as her net stays above 1100 calories. I had tremendous success losing weight by keeping my net calories between 1k and 1,200 calories. Net is the amount of calories you eat minus the exercise calories (in other words, eat back some but not all of your exercise calories)
  • dbmata
    Options
    yeah but Robb, you've been educated better than that and hopefully disabused of the silly notion of the route you were on.
  • NewMeAB2015
    Options
    @dbmata and @Capt_Apollo‌, i know obviously eating unhealthy will not get you nowhere with a flat stomach but i was just looking for tips. About 3 years ago i went from 160 to 118 but ended up with a little flab and no matter what i did it did not go away. So now that im at my heaviest i need a guide to not just lose weight but flatten and tone the stomach. I really appreciate everyones advice and suggestions :)