Newlywed Desperate for Motivation

AlissaGoergen
AlissaGoergen Posts: 5
edited September 27 in Introduce Yourself
My name is Alissa and I am new to this site :) My new sister-in-law invited me to join after a recent visit to see her in Florida. You see, I am 26 years old, and a newlywed (as of last September) that has already gained 10 lbs since the wedding! My sister-in-law is a gorgeous mother of 2 children, both under the age of 4, that works a full-time corporate job and still maintains a healthy lifestyle. Needless to say, sitting around the pool with her was not fun as I was ashamed of my appearance, and she looks amazing. What was my excuse, you ask? NOTHING! No full time job (yet), no kids, not even a nice couch that keeps me stuck on my rear end! So, I joined this website with the hopes of making a change. I used to be active in high school, as I'm sure most people can claim, and all too quickly I've let myself go. I hate running, but force myself on occasion to get moving in some way. I'm looking for new, healthy, and more exciting ways to get back on track so as not to lose myself when the time comes for me to settle into a career and a full-fledged family. Oh, and if I could give my husband whiplash like I did when we first met then I'd say that's a pretty good bonus, too. :happy:

I am very much looking forward to this website and all it has to offer. I am amazed at how quickly keeping myself accountable for my own nutrition has already taken affect...I'm down 3 lbs. from my most recent weight (not including daily water-weight fluctuations) just from watching my portion sizes and typing in every single morsel that I eat. It's incredible what self-guilt can do for you when you see that you've been overdoing it! I'm learning not to deprive myself of the foods that I love most. My husband is a phenomenal cook, and we love our meals to be savory and satisfying. With a little portion control, and lots of cardio or other fun heart-pumping activiites, we are starting to make some positive changes in our lives as a couple. I will soon begin my work out regimen, once this cough and cold I am getting over with subsides. My in-laws have suggested pilates and yoga in the meantime and I am enjoying re-teaching my body what it's like to be active and on the road to fit!

Thanks for the amazing site...can't wait to post good news in the coming months about my progress!
Alissa Goergen

Replies

• bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    I believe you can reach your goals and feel and look as healthy as you want to! Good luck to you! you may add me as a friend if you'd like :)
  • Welcome to MFP! It sounds like you are off to a great start! It is always helpful when you can see some results quickly.

Friend me if you like, I love giving and receiving encouragement.
    Remember: When you want to cheat and think you "deserve" to eat whatever you crave, what you REALLY DESERVE is to feel good in your own skin and feeling confident around others!

Prayer is always helpful too!

Best Regards,
    Rharvey
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
  • KristaMM
    KristaMM Posts: 8
    I can completely relate! Nothing motivates me more (but also makes me depressed!) than sitting around a pool feeling bad about my body compared to the person beside me. I was a a dancer growing up and have since put on about 20 pounds. I'm half way to reaching my goal but the more weight I lose, the slower I lose it.

Not sure if this works for anyone else, but one thing that motivates me is pictures of celebs with healthy, strong bodies that have a similar body type to me. I have them on my iPhone so whenever I'm tempted to eat something bad or skip the gym, I'm easily reminded of my goals. I'm only 5ft tall so Hayden Panettiere or Britney Spears (in her prime lol) would be a couple of examples.

Good luck with your progress! Just remember that "nothing tastes better than being thin feels."
  • I used to be a dancer, too! Maintaining a healthy, and attractive, weight was so easy when I was dancing every day. Not to mention, it wasn't a chore to "work out" because I was always doing something I loved! Dancing is not exactly something you can go to the gym or the park and "pick up" like playing basketball or something. I know exactly how you feel...thank you for your response. I'm already feeling the MFP love and I feel better already!
  • KristaMM
    KristaMM Posts: 8
    So true about dancing not being a chore like the gym is!

Glad you feel better already! You can do it :-)
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    I have the same concerns as all of you. I lost about 16 pounds for my June 18th wedding, but in the last two months I feel like I've gained it back and then some. Although I try to cook healthy, my husband complains that lowfat foods simply don't taste as good. He also is a picky eater and rarely ever eats vegetables. I feel bad when I cook him a meal that he doesn't like or just refuses to eat. He is also complaining about his growing waistline, although I love him no matter what!:-) Additional advice to couples like me would be fantastic!

Shannon
  • Feel free to add me !! I am relatively a newlywed myself (almost 1 year anniversary time!)
    I am in the same boat as you!!
    Welcome & best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.