Uncommon tips

Options

Replies

• sw0312
    sw0312 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Meal prep for the week and pre-logging to hold myself accountable.

+1

If I dont I cheat for sure!
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I don't have just one thing...
    First of all, eat the right amount of calories every day to lose/maintain weight. Or get as close as possible without obsessing.
    Prelog, but adjust for real life. Don't deprive yourself.
    Get moving every day.
    I'll eat everything I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time.
    Try to eat only at meals.
    Aim to eat some fatty protein and vegetable at every meal.
    I eat only foods I like.
    I accept that I will be feeling hungry before meals and trust that it's normal.

I agree with most of these. But what's wrong with snacking? The "try to eat only at meals" is bad advice.

It's not bad advice if it helped the poster, and it probably did since she included it .....

The OP asked for tips. Not all tips are going to be good for all people. Some people find that not eating between meals helps train themselves, or helps them think less about food, or whatever. Some people like to eat three meals and three snacks, some people no snacks. There's no one right way.

• mochocki
    mochocki Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Accurately measuring the foods you eat, entering all the food you eat into MFP, and making sure you are getting the nutrients you need. If you can handle it, cheat meals once a week are great, but I always keep my cheat small as to not go over my daily calorie goal.

The thing that changed my mind completely about what and how I eat is this site: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/. I knew most of the info before, but the way it was put together really helped me get a new mindset. Now I'm losing weight like crazy, and will know how to actually keep it off this time.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    StacyMMo wrote: »
    I am sure this has been discussed a ton but I can't find one thread that has a bunch of tips. I just started on Jan 5 and am looking for tips for staying on track in losing weight. But I want tips that are beyond drinking more water and telling yourself that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. So what is the one thing that has helped you the most? For me, it is cutting my food up before I eat into really small pieces. It makes you feel like you are eating more. Thanks!

I can bake some cookies that taste a lot better than how skinny feels.

Really though, that's an awful mantra.

The things that helped me the most were pre-logging and meal prepping. Something else that will help--learn to say no to your friends, family, and coworkers.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    First of all, eat the right amount of calories every day to lose/maintain weight. Or get as close as possible without obsessing.
    Get moving every day.
    I eat only foods I like.

I agree with most of these. But what's wrong with snacking? The "try to eat only at meals" is bad advice.

"Try to eat 7 small meals" is equally bad advice. There's nothing wrong with snacking, or the lack of snacking, as long as you aren't having trouble meeting your calorie goals.

• halsteadg196
    halsteadg196 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Know when you're weakest and plan for it. I can be great all day, but I turn into a human vacuum cleaner at dinner ... I just don't want to stop eating. I've finally started putting white strips on my teeth right after I'm done with my meal.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I always believed that I had to eat breakfast within one hour of waking up to rev my metabolism. After joining MFP, I learned I can eat any time of day that I want because it's all about calories in/calories out. That being said, I wait until 9:00 to eat my breakfast. That way, I don't need a mid-morning snack. Cutting out that snack between breakfast and lunch leaves more calories for the afternoon/evening, which is when I really enjoy them the most.

Also, I love using ice cream spoons. They make eating things (especially yummy things that I really enjoy) take longer, which is more satisfying to me.

I need at least one thing that really tastes good to me to look forward to at each meal. Having that anticipation is very motivating.
  • rstepka925
    Options
    Know when you're weakest and plan for it. I can be great all day, but I turn into a human vacuum cleaner at dinner ... I just don't want to stop eating. I've finally started putting white strips on my teeth right after I'm done with my meal.

This. Knowing and acknowledging your weak spots is key. For me, I know after dinner is the worst time for me, so I'll chew mint gum or brush my teeth as soon as I'm done with dinner. It helps to curb cravings for dessert that inevitably come up for me.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    davis978 wrote: »
    Get moving every day.
    I eat only foods I like.

It's not bad advice if it helped the poster, and it probably did since she included it .....

The OP asked for tips. Not all tips are going to be good for all people. Some people find that not eating between meals helps train themselves, or helps them think less about food, or whatever. Some people like to eat three meals and three snacks, some people no snacks. There's no one right way.

Exactly. Thank you for saying what I was going to say. Lots of people here think advice is "bad" if it isn't what they themselves do. Not the case at all.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options

There ya' go! There's a good "uncommon" tip that works for a lot of people. Or, instead of the strips you can just brush your teeth. I also keep a small bottle of mouthwash in my desk and find that sometimes during the day if I get bored I'll start thinking about a snack. That thought disappears once I swish a little mouthwash around. Kills the taste buds while the urge subsides.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Do not use the MFP method ... it is not that great. Although it may be fine for beginners. TDEE -x % is a better idea once you know your true numbers.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    -Meal prepping and planning out meals
    -Pre-logging everything
    -Not calling foods good or bad
    -Eating what I want in moderation (there is no reason to give up chocolate or pizza, I'm just smarter and don't eat a whole pizza by myself anymore)
    -If you want to exercise, find something you enjoy so you're more apt to do it.
    -Using smaller salad plates as my dinner plate
    -Weighing or measuring everything I eat (even now, I'm awful about being able to eyeball servings)
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Why do you need uncommon when common works better? The reason uncommon tips are "uncommon" is because they don't usually work. Stick with the basics like eat less, move more.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I log it on here daily. And then I check the reports so that I can SEE my progress. Whether it's up, down, or staying at the same number, the totality of the downward progression helps me stay on track. I also pre-log, especially if I know the day is going to be busy, or difficult, or I don't feel my best, or if I know there will be temptations that are hard for me to resist. One last thing, I'm American and yet I use metrics for weighing my food, **grams** not ounces. It's a much more accurate form and much simpler once you get the hang of it.
  • cort330
    cort330 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Meal prep for the week and pre-logging to hold myself accountable.

Me too! Me too!
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    One of the things that works the best for me is waiting 15 minutes to eat. I snack a lot, and I'm ok with that, I just make it work, but when I finish a huge salad for lunch and still feel hungry I make myself find something else to do. If I'm still thinking about food 15-30 minutes later than I have a piece of cheese or something. Most of the time i forget all about it.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    An uncommon tip? Eat yellow snow... it is very low calories and will make you too sick to eat anything else.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    I weigh myself daily. I log it on here daily. And then I check the reports so that I can SEE my progress. Whether it's up, down, or staying at the same number, the totality of the downward progression helps me stay on track. I also pre-log, especially if I know the day is going to be busy, or difficult, or I don't feel my best, or if I know there will be temptations that are hard for me to resist. One last thing, I'm American and yet I use metrics for weighing my food, **grams** not ounces. It's a much more accurate form and much simpler once you get the hang of it.

I do this too! It's really helpful in seeing the progress over 3 or 6 months, because there's a lot of up and down over the weeks, but you can really see the drops after 4-6 weeks. Weighing food is huge too! I never knew how much was in each serving until I started doing this.

I don't really pre-log though, because every time I pre-log, I change what I eat later :P
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    pre-logging

meal prepping

eating the healthy stuff before you have the unhealthy stuff

add more fruits and vegetables to your diet
    and i hate hate hate "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." seriously, it makes me rage.

Danny is spot on, as usual! :smiley:

The only thing I would add is to give yourself a goal to work towards. Motivation to workout will NOT last forever, but if you have a set goal (ie run/walk a 5K) with a deadline (sign up for that 5K) you'll be more likely to stick with it. There are sure as heck days when I don't WANT to go swim, or ride on the trainer, or run outside in frigid temps and snow...but I do it anyway, because I am doing the local Ironman 70.3 in June, and I know if I don't do it, I will fail miserably in the 70.3.