Just how important is breakfast?

Options
OK, so I know that we're supposed to eat breakfast because it gets the metabolism going, etc. But I'm finding that because I am a bigger night-time eater (I stay up 'til about midnight usually), I'm a bit short on calories because I'm eating breakfast now. I could eat a smaller breakfast, I suppose, but I'm wondering how small I can actually go? For example, could the creamer in my coffee suffice for the breakfast calories?

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. It's total calories. So skip breakfast if it works for you. I typically don't eat "Breakfast" until noon. I find it keeps my hunger under control and like you, I enjoy eating a majority of my calories at night. :)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nope.

Forget what you think you know about breakfast.

Definitely time to unlearn your Metabolism Myths.

Breakfast matters no more, no less than any other meal or snack.

I skipped breakfast AND lunch for 27+ years with no ill effects.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Food is food, no matter what time of day you eat it. Eat when you like not because someone thought that timing makes any difference and got someone else to put the information out on the internet.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast at for at least half the week. Often a cup of coffee does it for me. Sometimes I wake up hungry, sometimes I don't. OP you are right though, it sure does save room for more calories later in the day :smile:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is important to me (and those around me) because otherwise I'm hungry and cranky. But for everyone else? Do what works for you.
  • FeelinTheLove
    Options
    Thank you, all, so much for that support and for your feedback! I feel much relieved that I can have my cup of coffee with creamer and save those calories for when my body (and mind) really want them. :):):)
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten breakfast on a regular basis since about the 3rd grade and I'm 56. I just can't look at food first thing in the morning. I have to be up about 2 hours before I can even think about food. Monday to Friday I don't eat breakfast but I eat lunch. Saturday and Sunday I have a little something to eat about 2-2 1/2 hours after I get up, but I don't eat lunch. I've pretty much always been a two meal a day person.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Many people do great by skipping breakfast. For me if I don't eat a filling breakfast... I will go nuts at lunch. It has nothing to do with my metabolism... it has to do with psychology for me. I eat fast. If I am super hungry I can eat way over my breakfast and lunch allotment and I need to save a little for evening snacking.

But don't eat breakfast to "fire up" your metabolism.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I eat because I'm hungry. That means I might have breakfast at 7am or 1pm.

If your not hungry or light headed etc I would just not eat if you don't want to
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I personally like the routin of getting up, having a cup of yogurt and a banana to get my day started. I also find myself less likely to fill up on lunch if I have had something to start my day.

I workout in the mornings fairly frequently, and I can't do that on an empty stomach. I guess it's whatever fits for you!
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Depends on you, personally. If you prefer saving more calories for night, do so. I find that I usually like at least 200 calories for breakfast, but you may like skipping it. Experiment to see what's right for you! :)
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've always had coffee or milk for breakfast ever since Kindergarten. I find eating too early makes me feel ill. Worked for me when I was a twig with no ill effects.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, she droned. ;-) I am ravenous when I get up. If I don't eat breakfast I am a dud the rest of the day.
  • joshnewton1976
    joshnewton1976 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Breakfast.......break fast.....you are breaking the fast between your last meal of the previous day and now...whenever that may be. If you eat at midnight, you really shouldn't have anything to eat before 11 or 12 the next day. Intermittent fasting is a good way to cut calories and expend your metabolism. If you go to bed at midnight and get up at 9 (for example), and you don't like breakfast, try not eating at all until one or two o'clock, then eating healthy the rest of the day. You'll probably lose more weight that way, if that's what you are looking to do.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    It's as important as your needs for it are. <---Horrible sentence. You catch my drift.
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Not at all except for personal preference.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Personally I have to eat breakfast. I have a physically active job and if I didn't eat at 8am I wouldn't make it to lunch at 1pm without feeling light headed and out of energy. Like many others though I can't eat at 6am when I get up but have to wait a couple of hours. In short (after blabbering on a whole bunch), do what works for you.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have a super active job that requires me to be on my feet and moving. A cup of cottage cheese works really well just to keep me from not falling over. I really HATE huge breakfasts.

Not truly necessary, but yummy :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The breakfast is the most important meal of the day studies were funded by the big cereal companies, particularly Kellogs ;)