Zero calories and zero carbs ..Energy drinks

Options
I have a question to everybody out there..
I was wondering if the pure zero energy drinks was bad for me ?
I am trying to lose body fat and counting calories ..which this has none.. but wonder whats in it to make it taste so good..

Replies

• HockeyGoalie35
    HockeyGoalie35 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I used to drink one called NOS. They have a zero version but fake sugar is not much better. I've been sticking to only coffee. Found myself starting to get over the caffeine addiction, and the healthier eating gives me a lot more energy.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I moved to just water and it is some cheaper and I am losing some body fat.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    detourkid wrote: »
    I am trying to lose body fat and counting calories ..which this has none.. but wonder whats in it to make it taste so good..

zero calories = zero carlories have at it.

Nothing wrong with artificial sweetners
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Hope not. Love my afternoon Monster Ultra Zero and I'm not giving it up!
  • rickloving
    rickloving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If it works for you to get you though rough spots go ahead. I quit drinking them and mainly drink water. I have read that the many of the sweeteners in low or zero calorie drinks cause blood sugar and insulin swings, which isn't good when you are trying to eat at specific calorie goal. I also would like to have my body "produce" its own energy and not rely on outside stimulants.

I would do a test where you wean off them and go a few weeks without and see how you feel...

Rick
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

I disagree with that statement. There are several arguments that say that Aspartame is really bad for you. I'm no scientist, but I'd stay away from artificial sweeteners if they are not from nature, like Stevia for instance.... Aspartame is definitely not from Nature
  • NWGymRat
    NWGymRat Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody.. great answers
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    rickloving wrote: »
    I have read that the many of the sweeteners in low or zero calorie drinks cause blood sugar and insulin swings

Rick

Nope. The vilified big three (Saccharin, Aspartame, and Sucralose) do not increase blood sugar levels.

http://www.mayo.edu/dotorg/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-answers/artificial-sweeteners/faq-20058038
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    rickloving wrote: »
    ... I have read that the many of the sweeteners in low or zero calorie drinks cause blood sugar and insulin swings, which isn't good when you are trying to eat at specific calorie goal. I also would like to have my body "produce" its own energy and not rely on outside stimulants.

I would do a test where you wean off them and go a few weeks without and see how you feel...

Rick

And that too....
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    ErikThaRed wrote: »

I disagree with that statement. There are several arguments that say that Aspartame is really bad for you. I'm no scientist, but I'd stay away from artificial sweeteners if they are not from nature, like Stevia for instance.... Aspartame is definitely not from Nature

You may have read that, but there is no science to back that up.

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

You can disagree with science all you want it doesn't care
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Erik and others here is a doctor that support your views about how Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners can increase blood glucose levels. That is more and more research supporting the downside to these man made sweeteners going to the press every year.

webmd.com/diet/news/20140917/artificial-sweeteners-blood-sugar

• NWGymRat
    NWGymRat Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody.. I have give up the zero and all energy drinks.. I now take Advocare spark that is all vitamins .. don't miss the energy drinks.. again thanks for all the great answers
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Nope. Just fear-mongering nonsense. There is nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners in moderation, like everything else in this life.

The argument that stevia is better is also ridiculous. Unless you're growing it on your windowsill, stevia products that you buy in the store (like Truvia) are more processed than sugar. The products extract the stevia sweetness and then add bonding agents, preservatives, and fillers to bring them up to the sweetness-per-gram of sugar.