Strength Training

Options
So I seem to be getting into a good eating and cardio routine. Have been walking on the treadmill about an hour a day and recently started up the C25K running program. I want to add in some strength training and seems like the Stronglifts is a good starting routine.

My dilemma is that I'm not comfortable starting this routine in a gym. I think I'd be more likely to stick to it in my own home as well as not feel any pressure to lift a given amount. Can I do this routine with a bench and barbell? If not is there another routine I can do at home using a basic home weight bench set up?

Replies

• erocks308
    Options
    Suck it up and go to the gym.

The people that are watching are watching people lifting more weight than them - not less. The vast majority don't give a rip what anybody else is doing.

You need to use the early stages to concentrate on your form and you're not going to be able to do that as well using equipment that isn't designed for the job. You need to get accustomed to a squat rack or power rack so you can lift heavier weight safely.

You can do it.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Stronglifts so I do't know what is needed but I do understand being intimidated by the gym and the weight area in particular. I do believe it's true that no one else is paying attention to you and you have to get that in your head and just do what you need to do. But to alleviate that your first few times can you go at non crowded hours or do you have any friends familiar with lifting that could go with you. It's really not uncommon to see people with notebooks. I use a log and I refer to my phone for video references on some of the things my BF has me doing when I'm still new to the exercise. And you should never feel pressure about lifting a certain amount based on what other people think.
  • jessicaf86
    jessicaf86 Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Why hold yourself back? Like erocks and vegas said, most people are not paying attention to you. And if it makes you feel any better, when I look around my gym, the vast majority of people are doing their exercises incorrectly, so most people probably won't even know whether you were doing it right or not haha!

It was very intimidating for me to step foot in the free weight section of the gym, especially as a female. But my results took off once I got over it. Work yourself up to the courage and you won't regret it.

Good luck, I hope you make it to the gym :)
  • c5carguy
    Options
    Why doesnt the fitness app count any calories for strength training? While I do want to improve my overall fitness, weight loss is my primary goal. When the app rewards your cardio time with calories burned but not strength, it makes you feel like you're not using gym time to the best advantage for reaching goals....discouraging.
    I do feel a bit of intimidation in the gym but its mostly because I dont like what I see in the mirror. Others in fit or near fit condition seem so much more comfortable in the environment, but its my guess they worked pretty hard to get that way. Unless you've been going a long time you have no way of knowing where they started. Who knows, it may have been farther out of shape than you are now. I try to stay in my own world in the gym, and I've noticed many others doing the same. Stick with it and your feelings of "out of place" will fade with time and effort.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have not been at this for all that long, and when I first started I had a lot of the same anxieties about doing my strength training at the gym. However, I agree that form is so important especially in the beginning, and I think that finding a friend that is possibly a little more experienced to go to the gym with is a great idea. You can ease your anxieties some, as well as have someone give you advice on different exercises and form until you are comfortable doing it all on your own.
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the positive advice. I have a new Blink Fitness nearby that I was considering. Is it possible to do a version of Stronglifts on machines?
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    MikeDee_ny wrote: »
    Thanks for the positive advice. I have a new Blink Fitness nearby that I was considering. Is it possible to do a version of Stronglifts on machines?

No, it's not advised to do that. Stronglifts specifically is designed for barbell workouts because free weights work your body out differently.

There are other beginner routines that will use dumbbells and machines, and you could always start there.

I am a noobie at lifting and finishing up my third week of Stronglifts, and definitely feel a major difference from when I was using the machines.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You can do strong lifts at home but you need the proper equipment. a barbell, bench and squat rack. The squat rack needs to be one with safety bars to catch the bar if you need to drop it.

I would also suggest a mirror placed where you can see your form or having someone watch and critique it.

If those aren't options you can record it with your phone and post for MFPers to critique. Start at a low weight until you get the form down.

If you want to go to the gym and that's your best fit do it but don't feel like you HAVE to to do this.
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I just ordered an Olympic weight bench and barbell. I'm going to try the routines with no weight to get the proper form.