Lower tryglicerides through nutrition

Options
Can someone help me to configure this app for goals conducive to lowering triglycerides such as carb, protein, fat % and kinds of fat mono poly etc

Replies

• rsumner79
    Options
    This app allows you to set goals. I want to know how to break down percentages for monosaturated fats polynonsaturated fats, carbs etc to lower tryglicerides
  • quickcrx702
    quickcrx702 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    From what I understand you need a combination of limiting simple sugars, alcohol, getting more healthy fats to increase HDL(aka fish oil, avocados, almonds), and losing weight. As far as tracking, just make sure that your carbs are not in the form of sugar(soda, beer, etc), and your fats aren't coming from fried foods or most animal fats. I actually consume about 20% of my calories from fat, but mostly healthy fat. Cutting all fat out of your diet is probably bad, but I'm not a doctor or nutritionist so I could be wrong.

My triglycerides were in the 400s at 195lbs, and about 20% body fat(I'm 6' tall). My doctor tried putting me on meds, but I refuse to take them. I'm just going to cut down to below 10% body fat and see where my blood lipids are. Some people have naturally high cholesterol and triglycerides, so if my levels are still high when I've got visible abs, I'm just not going to care.
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs way down will lower triglycerides.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear from someone that knows a lot more about this than I do, but to the best of my knowledge, losing weight is what is most important. Whether that occurs via a low fat diet, a low carb diet, or my favourite, a balanced diet (as MFP sets you up with automatically).