proper amount of water

Options
Not sure if this has been covered here or not, but I'll say so anyway.

to get the proper amount of water take your weight and divide by 2 and that is how many ounces of water that you should be drinking. That was found in a fitness mag article written by a doctor... not sure what the mag was. But it does sound about right. That is going to be very hard to reach though. A lot of oz of water. That is to keep your body hydraded.

Replies

• Erica92627
    Options
    Not sure if this has been covered here or not, but I'll say so anyway.

to get the proper amount of water take your weight and divide by 2 and that is how many ounces of water that you should be drinking. That was found in a fitness mag article written by a doctor... not sure what the mag was. But it does sound about right. That is going to be very hard to reach though. A lot of oz of water. That is to keep your body hydraded.
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    That sounds kind of high to me...I wonder if that is just fluids in general and includes the water content of the food we eat too.
  • Erica92627
    Options
    i think it makes sense for those of a lower weight like maybe up to 140 pounds or so. but for individuals of a higher weight that might be a bit high. i think i'm sticking to the 8 8oz of water if possible.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    they just had this on the she "the doctors" they said 5-6 glasses a day. one said that they didn't know where the 8 glasses came from. you can get too much water and die from it. it messes up the sodium balance and swells the brain. they said drink when you are thirsty and you don't really need to make yourself drink. it's on their site. (thedoctorstv).
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    they just had this on the she "the doctors" they said 5-6 glasses a day. one said that they didn't know where the 8 glasses came from. you can get too much water and die from it. it messes up the sodium balance and swells the brain. they said drink when you are thirsty and you don't really need to make yourself drink. it's on their site. (thedoctorstv).

Yeah, I went to the doctors a week or so ago. Told him I'd been drinking a gallon of water on average per day for the last year, but all of a sudden, I couldn't quench my thirst. All the tests came back normal, but he told me to cut down to a half a gallon a day only. He said there was no need to drink that much, that you get a lot of water from foods as well.

I still can't cut down to half a gallon, I get thirsty... I do try to keep it about 3/4 of a gallon though.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    this formula is a basic one, but you have to account for all liquids and any fruit or vegetables you eat. So if you drink juice, milk, tea etc you should count that as part of the 1/2 your body weight. You can over do it!

People think of hydrating as just water, it is all liquids and you have to add to that if you live in a dry climate, a particularly high humidity climate and exercise.

A clear indicator that you are drinking enough or staying hydrated enough is the color of your urine, a clear or tinted yellow (no darker than lemonade) is what you should look for. Darker than that and you need to refill!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: