Foot pain

I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in September. I have orthotics from the podiatrist, but my foot hurts so bad in the arch area during exercise that causes me to be miserable. I take alphastep and remixed classes at the YMCA, walk on treadmill and use to elliptical. Any advice is greatly appreciated. (Last night, I was told, by friends, to try Asics Nimbus sneakers.)

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    There are some devices you can wear at night to help stretch your foot out while you sleep. I saw a guy selling one at a running expo a few weeks ago. You might do some web searching and see if you find one you like.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    You gotta rest it. PF can take a horrifying long time to go away. The most important thing to do is not do what hurts.

Inserts help; I wear them. Wear shoes with inserts/orthotics ALL the time, even when walking around at home.

Stretch your calves. Strengthen and stretch your hips.

Roll a lacrosse or tennis ball under your foot.

Roll a frozen water bottle under your foot.

Sit in a chair with your uninjured foot resting on the ground normally. Sit "cross-legged" style with your other leg so your foot is resting on your good leg's thigh. Pull back on your toes to create a gentle stretch and massage the arch of your foot.

Practice towel grabs--picking up and setting down a towel with the toes of your injured foot. You can do this with the lacrosse ball, too.

A night splint or Strassburg sock helps some people.

But mostly you gotta rest it.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    Stop putting weight on that foot. Seriously. It will NEVER go away if you don't treat it. I triggered mine in June after a 12 year silence, and I am just now starting to run once a week. Putting weight on it for anything (just walking around to get through your day) will aggravate it. Do some research online. There are loads of things you can do to make it feel better, but don't be fooled by "better." "Better" and "all better" are two different things. I stopped all weight bearing fitness (took up water aerobics and lap swimming, and I'm a crappy swimmer) and it's still in the back of my mind all the time.

Some things I did that helped:
    *Buy Crocs. Yes, you'll be wearing plastic shoes and they're ugly as sin, but your feet will thank you. Choose carefully. Not all Crocs are created equal.
    *Do NOT for any reason at all, go barefoot or wear flip flops.
    *Freeze a bottle of water to roll your foot over. Do this 3x a day.
    *Roll your foot (arch) over a tennis ball.
    *Roll your foot over a golf ball.
    *Invest in a boot for sleeping. Pay for a good one. You'll want it even when your foot is better because it's a great way to set up your foot the night before for a good day.
    *Flex and point before you even put feet on the floor in the morning.
    *Do calf raises on a step so that your heel goes lower than the step. Work up to 12 every other day. A tight calf leads to a tight fascia.
    *Find fitness activities that don't put ANY impact on your foot. I haven't been to my fitness class since June. I'm returning tonight for 1x a week. I'm still swimming, as crappy as it looks... ;)

There is lots of information out there. Just know that if you ignore it, or work through the pain, you're only prolonging it. It can take 6-12 months to go away. I finally got fed up in November when the improvement stalled. I had been doing everything I could to baby this thing and help it recover. I finally went and got the cortisone shot. Then I stayed off it for another THREE FULL WEEKS, even though it felt so much better. I cannot believe how many people I talk to who have it, and have had it for years. Because they never stopped doing things that aggravate it. Just getting through your day is going to aggravate it enough. Don't make it worse by exercising. In the long run, it's worth it to just change course for 6 months or a year. If you don't, guess what you'll be dealing with in a year anyway?...

Good luck,
    ~Curly
  • kennagif
    kennagif Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks so much for the great information! I greatly appreciate it and your time! I am freezing a bottle of water and getting a tennis ball :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »
    There are some devices you can wear at night to help stretch your foot out while you sleep. I saw a guy selling one at a running expo a few weeks ago. You might do some web searching and see if you find one you like.

Here is a good website to find some of those things: footsmart.com/

I got rid of my PF by ditching the orthotics and doing exercises instead. The one that worked for me was to stand on a step facing upstairs. Move back so that you are only holding on with your toes and a small amount of the ball of the foot. SLOWLY drop your heels as far as you can and hold the stretch for a count of ten. SLOWLY raise you heels so you are standing on your tippy toes and hold that stretch for a count of ten. Lower again. Do this for ten times, 3 times a day. I had no pain after about 3 weeks of doing this and the PF has not returned in the intervening 15 years.

To prevent it from happening again, wear a variety of heel heights for everyday wear and good quality athletic footwear.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Whatever you are doing - STOP!

Did your doctor send you to physical therapy? There are some exercise you can do using a stretch band and other non-loading bearing exercises. Other than that, you should rest the foot.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I got rid of my PF by ditching the orthotics and doing exercises instead. The one that worked for me was to stand on a step facing upstairs. Move back so that you are only holding on with your toes and a small amount of the ball of the foot. SLOWLY drop your heels as far as you can and hold the stretch for a count of ten. SLOWLY raise you heels so you are standing on your tippy toes and hold that stretch for a count of ten. Lower again. Do this for ten times, 3 times a day. I had no pain after about 3 weeks of doing this and the PF has not returned in the intervening 15 years.

THIS. There was an article in the New York Times about this. It will hurt, and you need to work up to 10-12, but if you do them every other day, consistently, it should help. My PF is gone, and I still do these.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    I ditched my custom orthotics. (They are the hard rigid plastic.) They were making the pain even worse. I bought a new pain of New Balance Motion Control Shoes and Physical therapy has help me wonders. I did four weeks of leg stretching and strengthening along with foot massage and iontophresis. Now I've worked my way up to running on the antigravity treadmill (It reduces your body weight taking a lot of the pain and pressure off.)
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    My husband had a bad case of PF in both feet 16 years ago. Orthotics didn't do anything for him. A new doctor suggested rolling a frozen water bottle under each foot 15 minutes 3x a day for a month. He hasn't had any problems with his feet since. When my daughter started having problems with her feet, she did the same thing, and she hasn't had any more problems either.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Ok - I wore these on both feet at night. Worked wonders. I don't know how long I used them... I also used them during the day if I was sitting and watching TV or any time that I would be sitting for at least an hour. You can't walk in them....if you have to get up for something you have to take the splints off.
    -
    - Plantar Fasciitis Night Splint

I also started wearing crocs (rubber) clogs allllll the time. They were the only shoes I could wear for a long time (even sneakers). I know they are ugly. I really didn't care what they looked like; I was so happy to be able to walk again without pain. I wore the crocs, and only crocs, for a couple years. I can now wear sneakers and certain dress shoes - but I stick with crocs brands more than any other shoe.....

Now years later I only have occasional pain if I'm on my feet for a long long period of time or am wearing bad shoes.
  • kennagif
    Thanks so much everyone!
  • kennagif
    Well, I did the stair exercises twice and used the ice bottle for 10 minutes. It feels better! Is that even possible?!?