Hungry for more out of my calories. Seeking filling food suggestions.

Options
I can't be the only person who is starving 2 ish hours after a well balanced meal that was portioned correctly. I want more out of my calories. I'm pretty new at the 1200 cal limitation and I am not argue with the results. However, my screaming growler is constantly hinting that enough isn't actually enough. Arbitrary snacking is a slippery slope for me and with all the opportunities for failure surrounding my life, I want to avoid pushing the limits of my deep inner strength. Does anyone have a food suggestion that can truly stretch a meal with out stretching my cal allotment?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    First 1200 is too low a goal for most people. You should eat back your exercise calories.

Second, less 'empty' carbs (bread, cereal etc), more protein, fat, and veggies.
  • ranso1472
    Options
    Yes second that good carbs oats sweet pot etc veg and protein
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    That is a tough calorie goal. It doesn't allow for much packaged/processed food. You should do most of your shopping in the produce and meat sections as they give the most volume per calorie.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 to 1300 cals most days and I do find it takes quite a bit of care to stay in that range. One big meal or high calorie snack can derail the whole day. I'm not saying 1200 is right for you, I don't know your stats/needs/lifestyle and I'm not an expert, but here's some things I do to keep around 1200:

I focus on protein (low fat cottage cheese, beans, chicken breast are my favourites)
    I budget my calories like money, and preplan for most of my meals
    I drink zero calorie stevia sweetened beverages, and tea and coffee throughout the day
    Lots of water
    I don't shy away from fat but I do budget it carefully. I find full fat cheese and peanut butter very satisfying.

Cheers, good luck. :smile:

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    bethdaven1 wrote: »
    I can't be the only person who is starving 2 ish hours after a well balanced meal that was portioned correctly. I want more out of my calories. I'm pretty new at the 1200 cal limitation and I am not argue with the results. However, my screaming growler is constantly hinting that enough isn't actually enough. Arbitrary snacking is a slippery slope for me and with all the opportunities for failure surrounding my life, I want to avoid pushing the limits of my deep inner strength. Does anyone have a food suggestion that can truly stretch a meal with out stretching my cal allotment?

Beth I had to swap out all of my carb grams but 50 grams for saturated fats to keep from being hungry all of the time. This was very strange for me since all of these years I thought Carbs were required to prevent death. Now I know Protein and Fats are required for life but not Carbs.

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You probably legitimately need to eat more than 1200
  • bethdaven1
    Options
    Thanks sandybvtn! Your advice is great. I eat a good balance of vegetables and lean proteins; Chicken, fish, venison, etc. I've been using the fooducate app for about a year now. It has successfully helped work most of the junk out of my diet. Maybe I should work in more healthy fats.
  • trifitkitty13
    Options
    I had a really hard time losing weight for a while, until someone convinced me to start eating more calories. I know, it sounds crazy. But unless you are very much on the petite side and highly inactive chances are 1200 are much too low. Totally agree with upping the good quality fats (avocados, olives, wild caught fish) and watch out for the zero calorie sweeteners, they actually trick your body into thinking it's getting calories so they can trigger hunger!
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm petite and my goal is 1200 calories. I do add in 100 cal for breastfeeding, and then eat back my exercise calories. What helps me from being hungry all the time is planning to eat something every 2-3 hours, and eating enough protein/fat. I take snacks to work with me like nuts, granola bars, etc. I don't eat anything for a snack that doesn't have protein/fat, because otherwise I'll feel hungry soon after. Learning what kinds of foods really made me feel satisfied helped SO much with my overall success, because I stopped being hungry all the time.
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything with fiber or protein.
  • Gwilson939
    Gwilson939 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Protein and healthy fats will help you feel satisfied, much more than carbs. I'm trying to do less than 100 carbs per day and that helps. I'm doing Take Shape for Life and am doing well so far.
    I try to not eat LESS than 85 carbs but not more than 100. Some days I fail, but overall, I'm doing well. I eat every 2- 2 1/2 hours and have to set a timer to remind myself to eat or I'll forget because I'm not hungry. I ate 500 more calories than usual yesterday (but less carbs) and lost 1 1/2 lbs since yesterday.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Another vote to up your intake. I started at 1200 last year as, did most of my pals, and it wasn't too long till we upped our calorie goals. I moved mine to 1350. That little bit extra food makes a difference to your sanity.