Carb Craver!! Help

Options
I start off great!! Then 5pm rolls around and I'm a carb craving maniac. Or any food at night ! I need friends and support ~ thank you

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Are the carbs throwing you over your calorie deficit? Are you eating enough satiating things throughout the day? I don't know what the problem I guess.
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a night snacker too. I have learned to eat more lightly in the day and save up some extra calories so I can have a good snack at night and not stop my calorie deficit. It doesnt really matter when you eat the calories (although right before bedtime is supposedly not a good idea) but if you know nighttime is your hungry time, just budget the calories for it. Also....I make a lot of lowfat soups, eat those before meals, it really cuts hunger. Good luck!
  • Tiffany9910
    Options
    Carbs are my main intake based on some of my meal tracking. Today it did put me over my recommended calorie intake. I "listen" to my body as far as when I am hungry so I'll eat smaller portion but frequently through the day but it seems when evening hits, I want to splurge and get that over full feeling to feel satisfied ! But i regret it after !
  • Tiffany9910
    Options
    Thank you Kev!
  • pscaravelli
    pscaravelli Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have you tried hypnosis? I downloaded this app and it's supposed to help subconsciously train your mind to not crave starchy foods and to eat healthier and lose weight effortlessly. You can download it for free and you have the option to upgrade to the full version, if you like the free stuff. I usually listen to it when I get in bed at night, as you don't have to actively listen to the words. Give it a try! It can't hurt and it might actually help you!
    What @arditarose‌ said is also valid, you gotta make sure you are fueling your body enough throughout the day, as those cravings could be a sign that you're lacking energy-rich foods. Try slow-releasing carbs (like sweet potatoes, oats and other whole grains) with breakfast and lunch and see how you get on.
    Good luck!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Carbs are my main intake based on some of my meal tracking. Today it did put me over my recommended calorie intake. I "listen" to my body as far as when I am hungry so I'll eat smaller portion but frequently through the day but it seems when evening hits, I want to splurge and get that over full feeling to feel satisfied ! But i regret it after !

Yeah that happens to me too. Only way I found to beat it is just by saying no right before I start eating an unlimited amount of food late at night...Just got to power through it.

People suggest leaving extra calories for late at night but they don't understand that once it starts, there is no stopping it...LOL
  • arditarose
    edited January 2015
    Options

Well there's nothing wrong with carbs. Mine are on the lower side mainly because they do not fill me up and I have a high protein goal. If they are something you enjoy perhaps you can eat higher protein, less calorie dense meals during the day and treat yourself to a higher carb dinner/dessert.
  • pscaravelli
    Options
    Btw, the name of the app is "lose weight". If you type "lose weight hypnosis" it'll pop right up!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    unless you have a medical condition there is no need to avoid carbs…

If your goal is primarily fat loss then maintaining your calorie deficit is all that matters…

• ndj1979
    Options
    Have you tried hypnosis? I downloaded this app and it's supposed to help subconsciously train your mind to not crave starchy foods and to eat healthier and lose weight effortlessly. You can download it for free and you have the option to upgrade to the full version, if you like the free stuff. I usually listen to it when I get in bed at night, as you don't have to actively listen to the words. Give it a try! It can't hurt and it might actually help you!
    What @arditarose‌ said is also valid, you gotta make sure you are fueling your body enough throughout the day, as those cravings could be a sign that you're lacking energy-rich foods. Try slow-releasing carbs (like sweet potatoes, oats and other whole grains) with breakfast and lunch and see how you get on.
    Good luck!

well I have heard it all now…

wow…

hypnotize yourself to avoid a whole food group, really??????????
  • arditarose
    Options
    Good luck!

Mmm...what?
  • Tiffany9910
    Options
    Thank you all for the tips :-) and yes uconn, there's no stoppin once I bite into a donut! Lol ... Mind over matter most nights. I think I'll invest in oats , try that out
  • pscaravelli
    Options
    It's nice to see that people will be judgmental regardless of their situation. *sarcasm*
    I bet the two who were quick to jump the gun and badmouth the hypnosis app have not even listened to its contents. If they had, they would know that the first part is all about relaxation and breathing exercises and then it goes into visualization of your ideal body and respecting what you put into it. For people who tend to be nervous eaters (which I don't know if it's yous case, @Tiffany9910‌ ) it could be more helpful than any "eat this, not that" kind of approach. It's not, like 'someone' said, about avoiding a whole food group, I would never condone that, and I don't do that myself. This is not Dukan or Atkins, it's about balance. But if you find yourself binging on carbs, maybe it's not your body that's asking for it because it needs the fuel, maybe you're just in an anxious state and need the comfort. It happens to a lot of people, and it's happened to me. So if you are able to learn something that can channel that anxiety and re-focus that into something relaxing and positive and stay on track, then why the hell not!?
    Just a little insight might come in handy every once in a while, folks...
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same, I can't help but want carby goodness in the evenings/late at night. If I feel one of these cravings coming on I will first try eating a couple of small apples or something, in case I'm not really craving carbs, I'm just hungry in general. If this doesn't work and I find that it is carbs I want, you can buy mini pitta breads for with about 50/60 calories in each; a couple of these toasted with some low-fat, flavoured humus usually sorts me out and doesn't break the bank calorie wise :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Tiffany you are not alone in this issue. After I finally realized I was a 'carb' addict I replaced them for the most part with fats and the craving went dormant and has been that way for the past four months unless I wake it up with a sugar/carb load.

Like any addiction it works to convince the brain that it needs what it needs (carbs in this case) to stay healthy. It was only after I learned medically carbs are not required for health was I able to giving them up but for the first two weeks that I cold turkey left them it was hellish for me. Now I realize it was not as bad as the addiction was telling my brain at the time. :)

Now I think people like I once thought that say there is no such thing as sugar/carb addiction either are not addicted to sugar/carbs or are in denial perhaps.
  • mustloseweight2015
    mustloseweight2015 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I have the exact problem. Here are a few things that helped. I know people say that eating smaller meals throughout the day is better, but that didn't work for me. I was in the eating mode all day long that way. So now I have 4 meals - breakfast, lunch, snack around 4:30 pm after work, and dinner. I plan my meal and log my breakfast, lunch and dinner on MFP the night before. That way I know how many calories I have for the late afternoon/early evening snack. Then, I will plan to eat a combination of something filling (i.e., banana, milk) and some carbs I may crave (i.e., crackers - usually with cheese or hummus - or one toast). I let the carbs of this snack be the "bad" kind (no whole wheat). That way, it really satisfies my taste-buds and carb craving. Pairing it with something filling helps me stop at the allotted amount. Sometimes when I am craving something high in calorie (like cookies or brownie), I accordingly make my breakfast, lunch and dinner slightly smaller to accommodate the extra calories. Of course, at times I go over the deficit, but you can't have a perfect day everyday. I shoot for a near-perfect day most days. I try to do this for the snack meal (as opposed to lunch/dinner) because I have noticed that right when I get home from work is when I crave carbs the most and am most likely to splurge. So pre-planning has helped me a lot. Pre-planning my snack also makes me feel like it's a reward of sorts. I take my "bad carbs: snack on a plate or bowl and sit and eat it, as opposed to eating quickly out of the box in the pantry. I enjoy the snack more (than mindless snacking) and feel content. Also, having fewer, but bigger meals keeps me fuller than smaller frequent meals (like 6 meals)....but that's just my personal preference.

Good luck!
  • pscaravelli
    Options

I have the exact problem. Here are a few things that helped. I know people say that eating smaller meals throughout the day is better, but that didn't work for me. I was in the eating mode all day long that way. So now I have 4 meals - breakfast, lunch, snack around 4:30 pm after work, and dinner. I plan my meal and log my breakfast, lunch and dinner on MFP the night before. That way I know how many calories I have for the late afternoon/early evening snack. Then, I will plan to eat a combination of something filling (i.e., banana, milk) and some carbs I may crave (i.e., crackers - usually with cheese or hummus - or one toast). I let the carbs of this snack be the "bad" kind (no whole wheat). That way, it really satisfies my taste-buds and carb craving. Pairing it with something filling helps me stop at the allotted amount. Sometimes when I am craving something high in calorie (like cookies or brownie), I accordingly make my breakfast, lunch and dinner slightly smaller to accommodate the extra calories. Of course, at times I go over the deficit, but you can't have a perfect day everyday. I shoot for a near-perfect day most days. I try to do this for the snack meal (as opposed to lunch/dinner) because I have noticed that right when I get home from work is when I crave carbs the most and am most likely to splurge. So pre-planning has helped me a lot. Pre-planning my snack also makes me feel like it's a reward of sorts. I take my "bad carbs: snack on a plate or bowl and sit and eat it, as opposed to eating quickly out of the box in the pantry. I enjoy the snack more (than mindless snacking) and feel content. Also, having fewer, but bigger meals keeps me fuller than smaller frequent meals (like 6 meals)....but that's just my personal preference.

Good luck!

That is a nice strategy right there! ^
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see that people will be judgmental regardless of their situation. *sarcasm*
    I bet the two who were quick to jump the gun and badmouth the hypnosis app have not even listened to its contents. If they had, they would know that the first part is all about relaxation and breathing exercises and then it goes into visualization of your ideal body and respecting what you put into it. For people who tend to be nervous eaters (which I don't know if it's yous case, @Tiffany9910‌ ) it could be more helpful than any "eat this, not that" kind of approach. It's not, like 'someone' said, about avoiding a whole food group, I would never condone that, and I don't do that myself. This is not Dukan or Atkins, it's about balance. But if you find yourself binging on carbs, maybe it's not your body that's asking for it because it needs the fuel, maybe you're just in an anxious state and need the comfort. It happens to a lot of people, and it's happened to me. So if you are able to learn something that can channel that anxiety and re-focus that into something relaxing and positive and stay on track, then why the hell not!?
    Just a little insight might come in handy every once in a while, folks...

You know hypnosis isn't really a thing, right? Placebo at best. Like the binaural beats stuff.
  • NurseSassy76
    NurseSassy76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try adding more protein through out the day...helps keep you full longer
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Tiffany you are not alone in this issue. After I finally realized I was a 'carb' addict I replaced them for the most part with fats and the craving went dormant and has been that way for the past four months unless I wake it up with a sugar/carb load.

Like any addiction it works to convince the brain that it needs what it needs (carbs in this case) to stay healthy. It was only after I learned medically carbs are not required for health was I able to giving them up but for the first two weeks that I cold turkey left them it was hellish for me. Now I realize it was not as bad as the addiction was telling my brain at the time. :)

Now I think people like I once thought that say there is no such thing as sugar/carb addiction either are not addicted to sugar/carbs or are in denial perhaps.

and the fake profile has once again chimed in ….