Only been a week

Options
Its my second week of calorie counting and exercise. I've been burning at least 200 cals a day and then not eating these calories during the day. I lost 4 lbs in the first week and now those 4 pounds are back on the scales. Where am I going wrong? I drink at least two liters of water a day also is this just water weight I have put on and not fat?

Replies

• Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It could be anything....really. BM's, PMS, water retention from muscle growth/repair, the list goes on and on. Bodies fluctuate sometimes hourly. Keep doing what your doing and give it some time. You may just have taken in more sodium than intended....If 3 more weeks go by and nothing changes, then you might need to look more closely at you macors. Wishing you success (and patience)!
    Sherrie
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Cant see your diary so we can't tell how you're eating. MFP tends to overestimate the calories burned through exercise. I subtract 1/3 from the number and it seems more accurate. I would suggest upping your exercise to 400 cals per day and see if you start getting results. Be sure to eat enough though, dont want to starve. And yes, weight fluctuates a lot, I only weigh once a month to check the trend line.
  • princesschanteee
    princesschanteee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It could be anything....really. BM's, PMS, water retention from muscle growth/repair, the list goes on and on. Bodies fluctuate sometimes hourly. Keep doing what your doing and give it some time. You may just have taken in more sodium than intended....If 3 more weeks go by and nothing changes, then you might need to look more closely at you macors. Wishing you success (and patience)!
    Sherrie
    Thanks for your help I really hope it is just water but I'll keep at it.
  • princesschanteee
    Options
    Kevvboy wrote: »
    Cant see your diary so we can't tell how you're eating. MFP tends to overestimate the calories burned through exercise. I subtract 1/3 from the number and it seems more accurate. I would suggest upping your exercise to 400 cals per day and see if you start getting results. Be sure to eat enough though, dont want to starve. And yes, weight fluctuates a lot, I only weigh once a month to check the trend line.

The calories I burn are what are shown on my treadmill or cross trainer I am only eating between 1000-1300 cals per a day. And never eating the calories I burn each day.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    There is no way you gained 4 pounds of fat in a week with that routine. Likewise you may not have truly lost 4# of fat the week before - much of it was likely water weight. Just keep doing what you know is right, it will eventually even out. Also keep track of your weight every month in the day or so after your menses starts (after the water weight comes off and bowels tend to relieve the PMS bloating) - this will likely be your lowest weight. And you could try watching measurements instead of just the scale.
  • tarablyawsum
    tarablyawsum Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The one thing I have learned over time with achieving my weight loss goals is to rarely weigh myself and to mostly depend on measurements. I measure and weigh, once every 2-3 weeks. At the same time first thing in the morning after I go to the bathroom
  • princesschanteee
    Options
    Thanks for your help I'm going to measure myself as well many thanks
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Don't let those 4 pounds get you down (unless they stick around for longer than a few weeks). It could be from any number of things: not having a bowel movement, water retention, extra food/food waste in your body, PMS.

FWIW, in two days this past weekend I put on 5 pounds. (Weighed in Friday then again on Monday. Monday was 5 pounds heavier than Friday). Why? Because it was almost my TOM. Plus I had a bit more sodium over the weekend than normal. Now that I'm at Thursday, I'm actually down 1.2 pounds from last Friday.
  • princesschanteee
    Options
    It probably is due to my TOM coming any time now hopefully your all right and it won't stay on the scales for long. Thanks :)
  • gemmadoel
    gemmadoel Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    keep at it! will show eventually :)
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Kevvboy wrote: »

The calories I burn are what are shown on my treadmill or cross trainer I am only eating between 1000-1300 cals per a day. And never eating the calories I burn each day.

If you're only eating 1300 calories a day and then burning 200..you're forcing your body to live off of only 1100 calories a day...It may seem counter productive but...I would up your calories if you don't see results after another few weeks.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. You probably just weighed when your body was doing a weird thing. My advice is to weigh once a week, the same day each week, using the same scale in the same location, wearing the same thing (or nothing at all!), before eating or drinking anything, and after a morning poop (if you feel the need).

I used to weigh every day because I was obsessed with scale weight. I'm doing better this time around.
  • princesschanteee
    Options
    illyich wrote: »
    Don't worry. You probably just weighed when your body was doing a weird thing. My advice is to weigh once a week, the same day each week, using the same scale in the same location, wearing the same thing (or nothing at all!), before eating or drinking anything, and after a morning poop (if you feel the need).

I used to weigh every day because I was obsessed with scale weight. I'm doing better this time around.

Thanks for your help I'm going to stick to weighing every Monday morning :)