V.E. day 1939-1945

Options
karenjoy
karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
Today is V.E. (Victory in Europe) day, my Father and Father in law, my Uncles and other relatives all saw active service in Europe and/or the far east. My Mother in law also served as part of the Canadian Air force as an air traffic controller in Gander Newfoundland.

I know many others who served in the 1939-1945 war and I was also very privileged to know 3 men who served in the 1914-1918 war.

LEST WE FORGET

Replies

• Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    When you go home, tell them of us and say: 'For your tomorrow we gave our today :cry:

LEST WE FORGET.
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    Lest we forget.

Interesting tidbit. My mom (mentioned above) received overseas pay for serving in Newfoundland, as it was still a British colony and not a province of Canada.
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Today is V.E. (Victory in Europe) day, my Father and Father in law, my Uncles and other relatives all saw active service in Europe and/or the far east. My Mother in law also served as part of the Canadian Air force as an air traffic controller in Gander Newfoundland.

I know many others who served in the 1939-1945 war and I was also very privileged to know 3 men who served in the 1914-1918 war.

LEST WE FORGET
    one of my greatest privileges when I served in the usmc was being on the firing squad for veteran funerals. We served all veteran's not just Marines, but giving them that final salute always filled my heart with pride. I mention this because at these funerals i met a great many men who served alongside the men we laid to rest, most of whom were WWII vets they are truly Americas greatest generation. Also I had s grandfather who served in the European theater, we never talked about it and I lost my chance a few years back.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I used to live in a street that the first half of the houses were all bombed in one raid, the lady who lived next door but one to me lived there at the time and she told me of the terror of that night, 6 homes in our one little street all flattened and the people who lived there killed and injured. Also the surrounding streets and suffered in the same attack. There is no marking of this other than the new buildings that are so different at that end of the street to the other, all round here you see the same, a road of houses all built in Victorian times or maybe the twenties...and then two or three gaps with 50's buildings instead. No memorial for those that lost their lives, their homes, other than the change of architecture. I knew a man who sadly died last year who used to tell me how he stood and watched the Battle of Britain dog fights over head on the hills near here, all round the place are still pill boxes and the remains of gun emplacements. History in our midst.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    LEST WE FORGET and NEVER AGAIN