Listen to your body? Or Is it a trick!??

Options
Sometimes, I just feel so hungry. I would eat my meal, but still feel empty. This especially happens after working out when I eat my post workout meal (which is usually lunch). I chug water like 4-5 glasses (2 before and 2 after the meal). But still feel empty. Then I sit there hungry waiting for the 3 hours to pass so I can have a snack X_X it's like waiting a life time sometimes.

Is this a sign that I'm still hungry and I should eat a little more and I should listen to my body? Or is this some kind of trick my mind is playing to excuse myself from eating more?

I should note that I don't have portion issues for any other meals.. Just any mealS (I stress plural because sometimes, not always, I feel empty after dinner too) after a workout. So breakfast and pre workout snacks, I feel fine with the portion I eat.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Are you getting lots of protein in your post workout meal?
  • YumiZoomi
    Options
    Yessss... I try to avg 25-30 grams of protein for every meal. I usually have a protein shake while I'm preparing my meal which also has protein (usually chicken breast related). I hear you should eat within 30mins after workout.. but I shower and all after gym and it takes time to prepare the meal so I try to get the protein shake in asap since its usually after the 30mins X_X. And my protein shake is not a meal replacement drink.. it's a 90cal shake if I just drink it with water.

And its really weird because after I workout I'm not hungry for over an hour sometimes.. and then when hunger strikes, I'm starving! (But I try to eat within the hour post workout).
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    What do your overall calories and macros look like?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    YumiZoomi wrote: »
    Yessss... I try to avg 25-30 grams of protein for every meal. I usually have a protein shake while I'm preparing my meal which also has protein (usually chicken breast related). I hear you should eat within 30mins after workout.. but I shower and all after gym and it takes time to prepare the meal so I try to get the protein shake in asap since its usually after the 30mins X_X. And my protein shake is not a meal replacement drink.. it's a 90cal shake if I just drink it with water.

And its really weird because after I workout I'm not hungry for over an hour sometimes.. and then when hunger strikes, I'm starving! (But I try to eat within the hour post workout).

There is no time frame you should eat before or after a workout, to the best of my knowledge. You just need to make sure you're hitting your goals.

Do you mind opening your diary?
  • YumiZoomi
    Options
    The settings say that my diary is open to public... So I'm not sure what you mean by opening my diary.. Is there something else I need to do?

JossFit - MFP set my calorie intake to be 1210.. I have my carbs at 40%, protein at 40% and fats at 20%. I work out a lot so I can eat more... so I intake roughly 1700-2000 calories in food and I burn 750-900 cals in exercise to hit my 1210 mark.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Your fat is really low, IMO. Fat affects satiety more than anything.

For the bigger question though, and maybe slightly off-topic: "Listen to your body? Or Is it a trick!??" - it's a trick. Our bodies are brats and full of crap and should not be taken seriously. That goes for "cravings - your body knows what it needs" - No, it doesn't.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    My body is a traitorous liar.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Your fat is really low, IMO. Fat affects satiety more than anything.

For the bigger question though, and maybe slightly off-topic: "Listen to your body? Or Is it a trick!??" - it's a trick. Our bodies are brats and full of crap and should not be taken seriously. That goes for "cravings - your body knows what it needs" - No, it doesn't.

Agreed.

Personally, I'd ditch the shake. They're not necessary and in my experience not satiating at all for the calories. And I'd make a bigger lunch, with a LOT of veggies. You don't seem to be eating a lot of veggies... It's the first thing I'd change (and veggies have protein too, you'd be better off eating 90 calories of veggies for 9g of protein than a 90 calorie shake that isn't filling at all).

Your diary looks pretty good but some entries are iffy... Make your own entries for homemade meals, and try to be more accurate with serving sizes (like that Skinnytaste tenderloin... her recipes don't always give the correct nutrition info for your ingredients and 'cup' servings don't really mean anything... Weigh your recipes).
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You may want to look at your pre-workout snack. Make sure you get enough carbs before you workout to fuel the workout. You may be starving after due to over depleted glycogen stores.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    My body is a traitorous liar.

Sorry, this made me laugh! Yes, yes the body does lie at times.

OP, after you tweak your diet as previous posters have mentioned remember that sometimes the feeling of "hunger" is either habit or disguised as a multitude of other feelings. You say you "sit and watch the clock" - maybe stop thinking about it so much. Dwelling on something makes it worse. Schedule your meals and snacks and then get busy and active in between those times. It's a learned behavior that can be changed.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    What kind of workout do you do?

I find that after steady-state aerobic/cardio (like a recovery/easy run), my appetite is normal. After speedwork/intervals or weightlifting, I am gonna eat my entire f%#ing house. I've never really arrived at a good solution, except to plan for it in the morning when I think about what my day is going to look like, and expect to eat a smaller dinner/very small evening snack.