Why am I gaining while seeming slimmer!?

Options
Hello! Recently i have weighed myself and I am now a whopping 156 pounds after just two weeks ago being at 147. I have not changed my eating habits, but I have started doing more strength training. I feel my muscles but can it really make my weight go up that much? This is really worrying me. I am sadly a 'scale addict' and I weigh myself often and fluctuations (though I know they happen and I shouldnt freak out) bother me to no end. Advice and tips would be oh so helpful. Thank you!

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    The scale is unimportant.

The important question is : are you happy with how you look - was it a change for the better? A number on a scale will many times mislead.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Most likely you're retaining water from lifting, but nine pounds is quite a gain, especially when you have 12 pounds to go. Can you open your diary?
  • Hue_Hercle
    Hue_Hercle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary. It will be open for a little bit. I keep this diary as a back up one and I do have a written one but I usually eat the same every day. I have a feeling it could be from stress (which has been too much for the past while) and I do appreciate your help.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A couple pounds will be water retention, but the rest.... start logging, weighing your food and look at it again in two weeks.
  • malibu927
    Options
    You're eating more than you think, which is also probably contributing to your weight gain. There are missing days and no evidence of a food scale being used. When your goal is so small, you need to be as accurate as possible with your logging.
  • Hue_Hercle
    Options
    The days I did log are accurate... I weigh my food and also make sure I never go past 1200.... Plus my day is very busy so I do not eat much. But thank you so much for your helpful information and I will look over my eating habits to see where I went wrong
  • malibu927
    Options
    Everything? You have entries like "small banana" and "medium apple". What you consider medium could be large, and could give you more calories than you think.
  • Hue_Hercle
    Options
    Uhm I am 99% sure I wrote things down as accurate as I could get. I do get medium-small sizes of fruit and I write down I have the whole things when I can never finish it. I never seem to finish the foods that I eat but I always put down that I ate the whole because I always thought it was better or more accurate to write down that I had a little bit more then I really did.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Medium-small banana= not accurate at all. You need to buy a food scale and weight that banana as well as everything little things.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do this thing, you may as well do it meticulously as possible. Once you get all your foods listed up and checked, it only takes a second to weigh and log. It really is worth it. Especially if you plan on bulking and cutting to change your body composition in the future

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Exercise can make it easier to "suck it in," so how you look may not say much.
  • Hue_Hercle
    Options
    I actually do use a scale to weigh my foods so that is how I come to my conclusions. It was just a fluctuation and I am back down to where I was. Thanks though