Stressed about logging

Options
I am finding it very stressful to log everything. It takes me longer to log the ingredients than to make the meal! Any tips on staying on track? I do find that when I don't log I eat more than I should........ugh it's frustrating.

BTW please feel free to add me. I need some accountability :/

Replies

• Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Well, one thing about eating healthy is you'll often find yourself eating the same foods on a regular basis (which can get boring but is really quite helpful when trying to stay on track) So you can just look up your 'frequently used' foods, check all the boxes that apply and you're done. You may need to make small adjustments for weight/portion size but otherwise its pretty much automatic.
  • Christinebean824
    Options
    You can also add recipes you make often to speed things up as well! Feel free to add me. I have an open diary to help with accountability.
  • afreshglow
    Options
    I agree that eating the same thing is helpful (especially in the beginning) to keep me on track. I'm on day 2 of a lifelong pursuit! Please add my so I can be accountable too!
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Try typing. Exact name brand. Typically. This App. Is very intuit on many reasturants. Also food from many.
    Grocery. Retailers. When you cook pomade there is also that choice. Scroll through all option on food you can usually find what you're searching. for. After a while the app will know your habit and choices in food. It will be easy after that.So good luck with the App. It will get to know.you. Personally I love it....

• tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Cook Homemade. Meals That choice is available. Scroll through. All choices. It is there in most cases...
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Be very very VERY careful of using "home made" entries because often the info is incomplete at best and way off at worst...you have no way of verifying what it is... I'm using a "home made" one for chili now because I did not keep track of what I put into it while making it, and I am being very cautious with my caloric intake elsewhere, lol.- but normally if you make your own you need to log each item in the recipe individually then divide the total nutrition info by the number of servings. There are a number of recipe tools that will do this for you including this one on My Fitness Pal. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator

It is tedious when you are getting started. As others have said if you get into a rhythm of eating similar foods (I usually have the same of 3 different meals for breakfast, for instance) it is easy to just select stuff you've already eaten. :)
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the recipe calculator! It's a lifesaver, and so is my "frequently used" list, especially as I've been logging 30+ days! :)
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    i've been logging 363 days, use the frequent list and the recipe builder. These days my logging take about 5 mins tops
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I find logging a tedious pain in the rear, but there is no need to stress. It's just data. No-one is going to grade you, and even if they try, you can whack 'em with a rolling pin!

I am going to chime in with the recipe builder, except for one thing. I never make anything exactly the same every time, so I will have to adjust ingredient weights each time I make something. Still, it's better than starting from scratch.

And let me leave you with some words of wisdom from Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency:

Do not worry yourself about logging, do not let it alarm or discomfit you. Do not, I beg you, let it become a source of anxiety to you. Just grit your teeth and log it.
  • FitnessGrudge
    FitnessGrudge Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »
    Well, one thing about eating healthy is you'll often find yourself eating the same foods on a regular basis (which can get boring but is really quite helpful when trying to stay on track) So you can just look up your 'frequently used' foods, check all the boxes that apply and you're done. You may need to make small adjustments for weight/portion size but otherwise its pretty much automatic.

I totally agree. I've found that I eat similar foods now. I recently selected a meal based on how easy it would be to log, but I don't do that everyday.
  • stainlessneil
    stainlessneil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    During the working week I eat the same thing for breakfast and for my 2 meal breaks at work everyday. Once you've entered all the components in once, then you can click 'save meal' and save it as whatever name you want. For instance, I have a meal called "breakfast and morning coffee" which consists of 180g muesli, 300ml milk and a 300ml latte. Then all you have to do is just add that one meal each day. I have a similar thing with my lunch meals and my post workout shakes. Then the only thing I have to add manually each day is dinner, because that always varies.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I'm considering this a six-week program. So I'm basically eating the same foods all the time. 8 oz of low-sodium V-8 juice and Dannon Greek yogurt in the morning, a protein shake with mashed banana and granola for lunch, and who knows what for dinner. I cook, freeze, and plan in advance, which makes it easier to log. Once in a while I wander, but it's very easy to add. I don't mind eating the same stuff all the time as long as I like it. And it definitely makes it easier to log.
  • LookAWalrus
    LookAWalrus Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    With the recipe calculator, can you adjust it the next time you make something? That would save me so much time in the future. I hate writing everything by hand, doing the math, over and over and over and over again.

The good thing is that when I make something it lasts and I can eat it for lunch/dinner for a few days.
  • FitnessGrudge
    FitnessGrudge Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    During the working week I eat the same thing for breakfast and for my 2 meal breaks at work everyday. Once you've entered all the components in once, then you can click 'save meal' and save it as whatever name you want. For instance, I have a meal called "breakfast and morning coffee" which consists of 180g muesli, 300ml milk and a 300ml latte. Then all you have to do is just add that one meal each day. I have a similar thing with my lunch meals and my post workout shakes. Then the only thing I have to add manually each day is dinner, because that always varies.
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't used the 'save meal' option yet, but I also eat the same breakfast during the work week.
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't used the 'save meal' option yet, but I also eat the same breakfast during the work week.

This, I use it all the time! Save meal is a fave in my house lol
  • nicol150
    nicol150 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love logging =) In the beginning I do start out with similar things every day. A salad, chicken, protein bars and protein shakes, fruit ect. After a few weeks my recent foods are all there and I just have to click on them=)
  • marge1946
    marge1946 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the recipe calculator! It's a lifesaver, and so is my "frequently used" list, especially as I've been logging 30+ days! :)

• marge1946
    marge1946 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use the bar code scanner a lot tells me portions and automatically logs on my diary
  • CRMDaveUK
    Options
    I kinda did a meal plan and looked up everything before my week starts. Sometimes I look at what's there and use a default as to add everything individually would take to long. Works for me. Good luck with your goals and feel free to add me if you wish :)
  • bencze1
    bencze1 Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I simply don't care for the recipes. I calculate the calories for what I make / eat and add it with quick add. It's just a tool to track the amount. I try to eat 'right', I do like to eat everything so I don't keep track of everything. The whole log's purpose, to me, is simply to track the amount - if I eat what and how much feels right it would be double the amount. :) Quick add works for me.