loose 30lbs in 1month think it's possible?

Options
The thing that sucks is muscle weighs more then fat, but I feel like muscle takes up more space in losing fat u gain muscle that takes it's place... It sucks.

Replies

• aubrey_11_baker
    aubrey_11_baker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Any way you look at it, losing 30 lbs in one month is not healthy. You risk further health complications than any benefit you get from losing the weight.
  • stan_amyolson
    Options
    Depends on where you start! If you have a lot to loose it may be possible. What's most important is what you are feeding your body and that you are feeding yourself enough nutrient dense foods to repair and fuel your body! By eating the best quality and right type of fruits, veggies grains and proteins, you will feel great, have plenty of energy and recognize how food affects your body, mood and mind!
  • mcclelland0484
    mcclelland0484 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    At my fastest pace I lost 48 lbs in 45 days. I was monitored by a doctor every other week with blood work. It can be done safely depending on your body type. I was 364lbs when the weight was coming off that fast. It comes off faster when your are very overweight. I have been trying to lose 15 lbs for the last month. My body type has changed and the last bit of fat is harder. I am now 241 and started my diet aug 1. My sugar was 160 and Bp was 153 over 89. Now sugar is 78 and Bp is 116 over 75. My doctor approved. It can be done safely and the benefits can outweigh any risk of complications depending on your health. I experienced no complications other than hunger and even that passed after a few weeks.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    1. Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle = the same.
    2. Muscle takes up less room than fat, pound for pound.
    3. You will not be gaining any muscle losing fat, aside from maybe newbie gains and only then if you're strength training.
    4. Losing 30lbs in a month (even if it were possible) would lead to a loss of lean muscle tissue as well as fat.

Honey, there's not a single thing in your post that's correct.

And no. You're not going to lose 30lbs in a month.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Say what?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    no.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    muscle weighs more then (sic) fat
    Nope. 1 lb = 1 lb.
    1 lb of feathers = 1 lb of lead.
    1 lb of fat = 1 lb of muscle.
    I feel like muscle takes up more space
    Nope. For the same weight (1 lb) fat takes up more space.
    That's why when people work hard at what's called body recomposition (losing fat, gaining muscle, but not losing weight) they lose inches.
    in losing fat u (sic) gain muscle that takes it's (sic) place
    Nope.
    It is definitely not a 1:1 replacement. It's not even close, not even several times that.
    Gaining muscle is difficult, takes hard work. As you lose weight, you will naturally lose muscle mass unless you take up weightlifting & make an effort to maintain the muscle you have.

And nope, you're not going to be able to set free (loose) 30 lb in 1 month if that's all you have to lose (drop, get rid of). If you were starting off morbidly obese, yes, it'd be possible at first (though still a challenge). With so little to lose, 0.5 lb per week would be more reasonable.

I'm down to 35 lb left to lose, and am trying to remember that I'm not going to replicate my stunning success of this past year. In fact, if I achieve my goal weight by the end of 2015 I'll be happy. Anything before that will be a bonus.

51637601.png
  • redneckchix
    redneckchix Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So here's my thing, I lift weights like crazy doesn't have 2 be a major poundage but I focus on repts to get that tone and then move up 2 weight along with eating high protein foods and doing cardio for almost an hour, I drink 2 gallons of water a day granted, I had a lot of water weight for about 3 days and then it started dropping I've lost 5lbs is about a week with consulting a doctor.
  • awala94
    awala94 Posts: 11
    Options
    It all depends the percentage of fat already in the body. As for me I know it would somewhat impossible unless I was using drugs .
  • LookAWalrus
    LookAWalrus Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Why are you drinking two gallons of water?
  • ladygi19
    ladygi19 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your weight... If your morbidly obese its possible I presume. Other then that without losing a limb or two, its just not going to happen. Even if you starve, your body will cannibalize itself, your hair will start to fall out... and you will get pretty sick and you will still not have a healthy shape.
  • ladygi19
    ladygi19 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Losing weight takes time... Unfortunately
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Wait... do you happen to be 9 months pregnant? Otherwise you are gonna hafta cut off a limb.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    HA I WISH!! Then I'd be done losing weight and into maintenance.

I doubt you gained all 30 lbs in one month, you're not gonna lose them in one month neither. :noway: Patience is key. :drinker:
  • NormalMichael
    Options
    To be healthy, and be able to keep it off you want to be able to drop 1 to 3 pounds per week. No more. Diet is part, exercise is the rest. I started by getting away from fast foods. Started eating fresh fruits and veggies, and making better choices for all my meals. Last spring I started walking 5-8 miles a day. The the beginning of summer I started going to the gym doing a total body work out (3 sets of 15 for everything. Then toward the end of summer I split it up, upper and abs on day, lower and abs the next. Then back around November a new gym that is closer to me opened, so I go 6-7 days a week now. I split it up, abs one day, upper one day, lower one day, and it has been working great. I have lost at least 30 pounds of fat and 3 inches around the middle since starting this. But I have also put on 7-10 pounds of lean muscle, if not more.
    So my trainer has me changing from 3 sets of 15 to 4 sets of 20, but told me to drop the weight (i.e. from 210 down to 100) this week, and it feels like it is working.

BUT REMEMBER!!!!
    Do not get on the scale every day and look at the numbers. They will make you cry.
    When I first started I got on the scale and it was at 229. I got on one day several months latter and it was 199. Well 2 weeks later it was up to 207. But it will fluctuate as you burn off fat and put lean muscle on.

If you are serious about getting the weight down, go for the 4 sets, 20 reps, but do not use the maximum weight you can. Drop it to a lower amount, but enough where you will still feel the burn, and probably struggle to finish the last set of 20.

And save your carido for after strength training. DO stretch before working out, but do cardio after. It helps get some of the bad stuff that makes your muscles sore after workouts out of you faster, plus burns more calories for a longer time.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who lost 30 lbs in one month. He was involved in a climbing accident in the Himalayas and had to walk out 200 miles with no food, just the water they could collect. He and the fellow with him both lost that much. I am sure that his blood chemistry was totally wacky when he reached a village and I am amazed they didn't die along the way.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    To be healthy, and be able to keep it off you want to be able to drop 1 to 3 pounds per week. No more. Diet is part, exercise is the rest.
    The less someone has to lose, the less they can healthfully lose in a week.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
    Do not get on the scale every day and look at the numbers. They will make you cry.
    Hogwash. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I weigh myself every morning & write it on the calendar. Makes it easy to look back several weeks & see how I've improved.
    I only record it here if I've lost weight.
    While it has at times been frustrating when I've been stuck at a plateau for a month, I know it's changing, I have faith in the laws of physics, and it doesn't upset me when my weight fluctuates a few pounds.

51637601.png
  • MKEgal
    edited January 2015
    Options
    my trainer has me changing from 3 sets of 15 to 4 sets of 20, but told me to drop the weight (i.e. from 210 down to 100) this week, and it feels like it is working.
    Why are you doing so many sets? And why go from what's supposedly an appropriate weight* down to one which isn't challenging you at all? What group certified this "trainer"?
    *(Well, sort of... if you're doing that many sets, it's not high enough.)

Here's a blog post I did about the basics of exercise.

"No matter which you're doing, you need to know the maximum amount you can lift, called the one-repetition maximum or 1RM.

For building muscle, you want to do 1 or 2 sets of 8-12 repetitions of a weight that's 70-85% of your 1RM.
    For building endurance, do 1 or 2 sets of 15-20 repetitions of a weight that's 50-65% of your 1RM.

Either way, start low on both weight & reps and work up.
    You should just be able to do the last 2-3 reps.
    When it gets easy to do the maximum # of reps, add 5 pounds and go back to the minimum # of reps.

(From the American College of Sports Medicine's book "Resources for the Personal Trainer, 4th edition".)"