Livening up boring salads

Options
Todays salad with crab sticks and cottage cheese with pineapple
Anyone like to add their own suggestions please

Replies

• elleinaDanielle
    Options
    My favorite is romaine and spinach with corn, sun dried tomatoes, and goat cheese. Sometimes I'll substitute black beans for the sun-dried tomatoes when I need to spice it up!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nice. Sometimes I add black soybeans (great nutrition profile). Sometimes I add herring or sardines (and the oil).
    Sundried tomatoes sounds like a great addition!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like some crunch in my salads, like some pine nuts, or flaked almonds or fried shallots, if it is an asian style salad. Goats cheese is a great addition, so much flavour for reasonable calories. Anchovies, capers, olives and the like give a lovely flavour punch if you like the salty stuff!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I like spring mix with black beans, chicken cooked in a little olive oil and a generous heap of taco seasoning, red onion, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and sweet corn. I serve it with a heap of sour cream and homemade guacamole, and mix it all together as the dressing.

Also tastes awesome with steak.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I top salads (along with just about everything else besides fruit) with Old Bay.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I top salads (along with just about everything else besides fruit) with Old Bay.

LMAO, I had this whole moment of "Isn't Old Bay a brand of rum?" but no - it's seasoning. :D
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

LMAO, I had this whole moment of "Isn't Old Bay a brand of rum?" but no - it's seasoning. :D

I'm from Maryland, I can't help it!...but who's to say I'm not topping everything with rum? ;)
  • JessicaP327
    JessicaP327 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I can't eat salads unless they include things with various and contrasting flavor profiles and textures. Like pairing kalmata olives (salty/bitter) and golden raisins. I love that duo!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Spring mix, drained mandarin oranges, chopped avocado, French's fried onions, sliced almonds, chopped tomatoes, and no, you don't need a bit of salad dressing!
  • mynameistrish
    mynameistrish Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Spinach, kale, chicken, apples, craisins, almonds. If you feel the need to add dressing, olive oil, vinegar, sugar, mrs dash garlic and herb.
  • kndev
    kndev Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I want to pack the protein, I recreate Panera's Power Chicken Hummus Bowl: spinach, red onion, hummus, and chicken. I spice it up with Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    roasted or pickled beets. sometimes I like to substitute fresh salsa for dressing- low calories and lots of flavor. berries, grapes cut in quarters, or chopped apples.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My salads are big, 4 to 6 cups, and usually include 8 to 9 items: mixed leaf greens, red cabbage, green onions, sweet onion, cucumber, broccoli, tomato, snap peas, mini carrots, tuna or salmon, gorgonzola cheese, balsamic vinegar and olive oil for dressing. I usually eat this about 3 or 4 pm M-Th and most days it holds me through the night.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    grilled portabella slices!
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i love crab stick salads :) .. throw in some pomegranate seeds for a change .. or even kiwi fruit..or make your own tzatsiki ..cheap and easy and extra protein to boot.
    i always make my salads chopped in a huge bowl..mix it all in one and usually add in some green or red pesto as a dressing.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Feta, pepperocinni peppers, red onion, pepper, and balsamic for me!
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    LOVING this thread. A big *kitten* salad is one of my favourite things. Fresh/fatty/chewy/crunchy are all musts. So many great ideas here!

Here's mine - Buffalo Chicken Salad

A load of greens
    Half fat mayo & apple cider vinegar as dressing
    Optional black bean/corn/tomato mixed in
    Grated cheddar cheese
    Chicken tossed in wing sauce or Franks Hot
    Topped with tortilla strips or crumbled corn chips

Heaven!!
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I put crab sticks on all of my salads! My fave combo is crab sticks, caesar dressing, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, feta cheese, a handful of broccoli slaw, and store bought croutons.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I love to add tabouli to my salad. It adds a different taste to it completely.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have been on a BLT salad with chicken and avocado dressing lately... So much yum!
    s4i9ri518o69.jpg