Depression and Weight loss.

Options
Hello, I just joined mfp. I have about 100 lbs to lose. I struggle with clinical depression, and am trying to push the depression aside and get back into a workout and nutrition routine. I lost 50 lbs last year, then gained back 35 over the last 10 months after saying goodbye to a foster child we were hoping to adopt. I know I CAN do it (because I have done it before), but the depression is still kicking my butt, and my family of 6 are in the middle of a transition to a new city. I am a homeschooling stay at home mom. My kids are 13, 11, (almost)9 and 8. Last year I was motivated, I actually enjoyed the workouts. This time, not so much. I am hopeful that this negativity will pass with a few good runner's highs. I figure if I can get on track during this chaotic time in my life, it will seem so much easier once we have moved and things settle down.

Replies

• Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your move and congrats on wanting to do this again. i am on daily and try to provide all my friends with support and encouragement. I have 108 to lose and have been on here since the end of January. Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • yourpalacf
    yourpalacf Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is a great outlet to become accountable for your food and exercise, which can be super motivating. I wish you the best during this rough time!
  • SlimSammy2012
    SlimSammy2012 Posts: 893
    Options
    As for my oppinion, I am glad you are asking. You want to get back on track and you know your issues and they are HUGE emotional ones! All I can say is do what you can. One small step at a time!

I know I have sufferred with Depression all of my adult life and my weight is a result of some of that. I am actually going back into therapy starting Monday. I lost 21lbs from Jan-the end of March. Then the GF dumped me. I've added 2 lbs since eating emotionally at home!

I won't give up this time!
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I find that eating well and regular exercise really help with my depression. My meds make the weight a little slower to come off I think, but it's still worth it.

Best of luck xx
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    WHAT'S UP. I suffer from MDD and have for much of my life, I am not on any medications and I have my bad and my good and my really awesome days. I've found that consistent exercise is really the key to my happiness. All those endorphins keep me going, as does having an attainable goal. Get the kids involved, every kid loves to have fun and play.
  • noonin123
    noonin123 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi I am new on here also, your depression will lift when you start getting motivated its kind of a vicious circle really but some how some where within you is your inner strenght just believe like you did last year :) you can do it mind over matter hun x
  • SlimSammy2012
    SlimSammy2012 Posts: 893
    Options
    I find that eating well and regular exercise really help with my depression. My meds make the weight a little slower to come off I think, but it's still worth it.

Best of luck xx

<~~Recently read that about Anti-Depressents and my Diabetes meds!! How the heck did I loose 21 lbs on that stuff?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    exercise helps with depression! Good luck!!!
  • awala94
    awala94 Posts: 11
    Options
    I know how it feels to be depressed and trying to lose weight. But I also know wright loss does help depression. All we need is motivation and a goal! Good luck to you (I know the post is late)