So Angry!!

Options
So I've been on MFP for like a week now, and I am noticing that I am so much more aggravated than normal, and I am assuming it is because of the decrease in comforting, fatty, sugary foods that I love; as well as just the general reduction of food. I've been getting mad at little things, and also extremely annoyed at basically anything my boyfriend does. Are there certain foods (low calorie) that make you generally happier?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If you've cut too low or being restrictive it can lead to being "hangry". The solution to that is to add in more calories and/or stop being so restrictive.
  • iamnotvoldemort
    iamnotvoldemort Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's not really so much what you're eating as what can happen when you're in the process of changing your habits. When I was first diagnosed as a diabetic and had to go low carb, I was an emotional wreck for about 2 weeks. Constantly crying or irritable.

Stick it out another week or two and do some non-food things for self care. If you don't see any improvement after that, you've probably got something else going on and may need to seek a professional.
  • mynameistrish
    mynameistrish Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sweet apples. Ex : Gala or ambrosia
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Protein makes me happy. Chocolate. Bengal spice tea. Quest bars. Eating every three hours.

Anyway, it's normal to get a little hangry. You'll adjust. Make sure your calories are reasonable and not as low as possible.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, carbs (sugar and the the like) are one of the main ingredients in mood controlling hormones like serotonin. It's why low carb diets have been linked to depression.

Why not eat the fatty and sugary foods that you love? Just keep to your overall calorie goals. And make sure you aren't cutting your calorie goal too low.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? What's your macro split (how many grams fat, carbs, protein?) Are you still making room in your calories for a few foods that you just plain like?
  • Ewok31
    Ewok31 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    my baby make me happy
  • Samn_7
    Samn_7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'll try the apples, and fitting in some comfort foods, and stick it out for a bit longer. I'm on 1400 calories, and if I can't seem to get out of this, I'll up that too.
  • Skweezd
    Skweezd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    granny smith apples, cutting small slices, then putting just a little all natural peanut butter on each slice. Delicious and not all that bad for you.... gives you the sugar pick up you need.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Oh, also...are you exercising? When I'm hangry/angry I like beef jerky and dead lifting.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I always get hangry for the first two weeks or so of cutting cals. Then i get used to it and i questions how i ever possibly ate more than 1500 calories EVER because i'm just too full somedays. :smirk:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You might be eating too little and be getting irritable "hangry". Eat back some exercise cals and+check your tdee on fitness frog website.

Other possibilities include you are not+getting enough iron (anemia irritilability), you just plain hate/resent having to diet, or you started your diet close to PMS time.