Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Could Someone Recommend a Fitness Routine for me?

Hi, my name is Kaisha and I'm turning 24 on Monday

Replies

• KaishaDarling
    KaishaDarling Posts: 23 Member
    Aw man it cut off my shpeel
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    What do you already like to do for fitness? Any activities? What sort of things have you tried in the past?

What would you consider your current fitness level to be?

What are your goals? Lose weight or build muscle?
  • KaishaDarling
    I had a whole thing typed out lol. Give me a sec and I'll type it again.
  • KaishaDarling
    I have a gym membership, and I can make time to go most days of the week.

Ideally I would like to lose weight, but building muscle wouldn't be terrible either. I'm 5'5 and about 255lbs. I want to lose approx 130lbs. Right now I can run on the treadmill for 5 minutes straight, which isn't great but hey, it's something. I'm not very strong yet, and know next to nothing about weight training, so after cardio I usually venture to the "20 minute fit-fix" area with the machines set up in a circuit.

My diet right now consists of mostly fresh non-starchy vegetables, lean meats, and the occasional serving of dairy. I'm trying to keep my carbs below 50g and I've been successful at this for nearly a month
  • KaishaDarling
    Ack! Keeps cutting it off :(
  • KaishaDarling
    I once hired a personal trainer but I didn't feel she listened to me and ultimately I stopped going. That was an embarrassing and discouraging experience. I'm not very strong, but I can easily walk for an hour. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate my fitness level a 4. Ideally I would like to feel confident enough to work out in the back of the gym where the testosterone filled dudes are without feeling out of place or nervous. My fitness goal in a nutshell would be to participate in Tough Mudder.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    If you enjoy going to the gym, it sounds like you are on the right track for your goals, however I would look into a more structured weight program that would introduce you into the free-weights. This way, one day you will be able to walk into the area with all testosterone filled dudes and pump iron like a pro!

I heard New Rules of Lifting for Women, or I think it is called 5x5 Strong Lifts program. These programs start off slow, and focus on proper form, and then your progress in your weights as you improve.

I would continue with any form of cardio you enjoy, whether it be walking if you find it easier. I know when I was over 200lbs, running was very difficult and honestly, I could not stand a treadmill at that time. Walking on a high incline will improve your cardio, as well as work out those legs! REMEMBER - Lifting weights still gives you a cardio workout, which is why many people would recommend lifting over cardio (2 birds, 1 stone). Though, on MFP...when you punch in lifting as exercise, it does not include calories burned. The most accurate way to get the number of calories burned by lifting is a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)

Are you doing anything at home? I always would suggest to have something "quick" to do at home that you love, just for days when going to the gym is out of the question or you are not feeling up to it (I do not condone making excuses, however, covering all of your basis is the best way to succeed). For this reason, I highly recommend you get some at-home DVDs, some resistance bands (or a good set of dumbbells, or better - a kettlebell). If you prefer yoga - get a yoga mat and a dvd to follow along to. If you prefer lifting at home, get a dvd program for that. Same with cardio. These options are unlimited and the best part is that they are excuse proof, quick, and convenient.
  • KaishaDarling
    Thank you! Your advice has been invaluable. I've set up a room in the basement with a wall of mirrors and an entertainment system with a DVD player. I'll look up those programs you recommended and definitely start using it. I have a weight set and some yoga mats, I just never knew what to do with them haha. Do you have a specific heart rate monitor that you recommend?