Choosing the correct activity level

honkytonks85
honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Found this and thought it was actually useful:

When you have to find out how many calories you burn in a day, you put your info in a calculator and it undoubtedly asks for your activity level. So what do you choose? Here are the meaning of the activity levels:

Sedentary

If you’re sedentary, your daily activities include:
Activities of daily living only, such as shopping, cleaning, watering plants, taking out the trash, walking the dog, mowing the lawn and gardening.
No moderate of vigorous activities.
Unless you do at least 30 minutes per day of intentional exercise, you are considered sedentary.
Spending most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
The majority of people will be considered sedentary.

Lightly Active

If you’re lightly active, your daily activities include:
Activities of daily living only, such as shopping, cleaning, watering plants, taking out the trash, walking the dog, mowing the lawn and gardening.
Daily exercise that is equal to walking for 30 minutes at 4mph. For an adult of average weight, this amount of exercise will burn about 130-160 additional calories.
More intense exercise can be performed for less time to achieve the same goal. For example, 15-20 minutes of vigorous activity, such as aerobics, skiing or jogging on a daily basis would put you in this category.
Spending a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)

Active

If you’re active, your daily activities include:
Daily exercise that is equal to walking for 1 hour and 45 minutes at 4mph. For an adult of average weight, this amount of exercise will burn about 470-580 additional calories.
More intense exercise can be performed for less time. For example, jogging for 50 minutes per day.
Spending a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active

If you’re very active, your daily activities include:
Daily exercise that is equal to walking for 4 hours and 15 minutes at 4mph. For an adult of average weight, this amount of exercise will burn about 1,150-1400 additional calories.
More intense exercise can be performed for less time. For example, jogging for 2 hours minutes per day.
Spending most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

SOURCE: http://antranik.org/proper-activity-level-for-calorie-intake/

Replies

• SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Thank you :smile:
  • baileyam74
    baileyam74 Posts: 2 Member
    thank you guess i am not as active as i thought
  • kayci_r
    kayci_r Posts: 5 Member
    Okay so I'm a stay at home mom. And most of the day I'm home cleaning and playing with my son but I do go to the gym mon-fri for about 1.5 to 2 hours. So am I considered light activity? Or sedentary? Thank you.
  • RavinJM
    RavinJM Posts: 16 Member
    MFP activity levels don't include any exercise, just the activities of daily life. If you do use your exercise to put yourself at a higher activity level on MFP, don't log exercise and eat those calories back, as you'll be double-dipping.

Exactly my thoughts!

Great advice!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    kayci_r wrote: »
    Okay so I'm a stay at home mom. And most of the day I'm home cleaning and playing with my son but I do go to the gym mon-fri for about 1.5 to 2 hours. So am I considered light activity? Or sedentary? Thank you.

Your MFP activity level doesn't count your exercise.
  • jacobchapman518
    jacobchapman518 Posts: 8 Member
    I need some advice. I don't know what my lifestyle is, even after reading some blog responses online. I am a teenage male who is consuming 1500 calories, I walk briskly every morning with my dogs before school and participate in cross country and track- so I'm running or cross training every day after school. I can also run half marathons. I had it set as "Lightly Active" becuase I sit in school but felt like I was eating way too much. So am I "Active" or "Very Active"?
  • janejellyroll
    I need some advice. I don't know what my lifestyle is, even after reading some blog responses online. I am a teenage male who is consuming 1500 calories, I walk briskly every morning with my dogs before school and participate in cross country and track- so I'm running or cross training every day after school. I can also run half marathons. I had it set as "Lightly Active" becuase I sit in school but felt like I was eating way too much. So am I "Active" or "Very Active"?

Choose an activity level that reflects your activity before additional exercise and then log your exercise in MFP. If you set it as "Lightly Active" and give it a few weeks, you can use the data from your results (are you losing/gaining faster than expected?) to adjust if you need to.

1,500 calories is the lowest recommended for a male. Did you get that goal from MFP?
  • heathervallon
    heathervallon Posts: 15 Member
    Is a nurse (senior's residence) sedentary, lightly active or active? I.e. I log on average 10kms a shift - will that count as exercise or lifestyle?
  • janejellyroll
    Is a nurse (senior's residence) sedentary, lightly active or active? I.e. I log on average 10kms a shift - will that count as exercise or lifestyle?

In MFP terms, anything related to your job is lifestyle -- not exercise. If you're walking 10km per shift, it's certainly not sedentary.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

1500 calories is way too low for a teenage male. You're still growing.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I stopped reading at the definition of sedentary because that's wrong

this
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    That's pretty close to the definitions I've read in research articles that put accelerators on people and measure their activity. Americans, especially, are *really* sedentary and tend to significantly overestimate their activity levels. Puttering around the house and moseying down the block with the dog aren't enough to lift you out of "sedentary" if you're the average suburban car-owning American.

A lot of "why am I not losing anything" posts on MFP could be answered with "You called yourself 'moderately active' because your parking spot is 500 feet from the door, and then you're still logging your 30 minute exercise class on top of that."
  • edmondg21
    edmondg21 Posts: 1 Member
    So If I am using an activity tracker (Like Jawbone, Fitbit or Apple Watch) - should I set my activity level at "sedentary" and let the steps from the activity tracker make the adjustments? (In addition to adding whatever vigorous activity I might be doing (like weightlifting) that the tracker can't track very well?)