strength training newbie

Options
Hi ..new to the weight lifting..love it ...got questions though..should i alternate. Training with cardio..or is it ok to use weights. Daily ? Thanks

Replies

• punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you're new to weight lifting, you need to take days off in between. This allows muscle to repair after breaking it down during lifting. It's best to work a schedule like MWF lifting Sat. and Sun. are rest. You can fit in some cardio on Tues. and Thurs., but here's the thing... Starting this all at once will most likely cause over use injury. Look into Strong Lifts 5X5 for a good lifting routine for beginners. Slowly (seriously) work into cardio as you do the lifting. Most injuries occur due to going crazy all in right away and that will set you back further. Step by step wins the race.
  • GolfsOften
    GolfsOften Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can use weights daily. Give each group two full days to recover.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    As a beginner you will get faster results doing linear progression full body routine, as said stronglifts 5x5 might interest.
  • Thanks everyone..i did go a bit over board yesterday and my shoulder is hurting a bit today ..i did squats with a 25 weight barbell ..wasn't heavy but i must have lifted wrong ..