Regarding Fruits

Options
Hey everyone, new here and truly new to dieting. I work night shift at a dispatch center so I am sitting for 12 hours 4 nights one week and 5 days the next. I have put on about 20lbs in 2 years so I decided it was time for a change. Since joining here it has actually became fun to count calories and I almost take it like a challenge to make sure I keep my diary in check.

Now with my background out of the way, I eat what I consider a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner, with breakfast around 120 cal (greek yogurt) and lunch and dinner is usually under 400 cals a piece. I tend to eat snacks between each meal to keep my stomach from feeling empty because I have really cut my portions. I like to eat fruit for the snacks and will eat about 3 peices per day (apples, oranges, grapes etc).

Now my diary shows have been going over in sugar by about 15-25g per day and about 30-40g over on carbs. The apples show they have anywhere from 14-18g of sugar and about 22 carbs. My question is am I really going over these limits with these healthy snacks?

I know its long and detailed but advice from people who have been doing this longer than me would really be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    While I am one of those ( unpopular view on here ) "beware of sugar" types, I have no problem if my sugar intake goes over target as a result of eating fresh fruit or dairy. And this rule has served me well in recent months and seen a faster than expected weight loss from a modest deficit.

However 120kcal for breakfast? I'd be in all sorts of trouble before I even started work ;-)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    There is no need to track sugar if the majority comes 3-4 fruits per day.
    Is there any way you can take breaks in your 12 hr shifts and do something physical even if it is 5 min per hr?
  • ddunbar8546
    Options
    There is no need to track sugar if the majority comes 3-4 fruits per day.
    Is there any way you can take breaks in your 12 hr shifts and do something physical even if it is 5 min per hr?

I do, and I try to at least stand for about 3 hours of the night.
  • bassaniobroke
    bassaniobroke Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    only diabetic or per-diabetic people should monitor blood sugar with fruits consumption.
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good question. I have a similar job. Good idea to eat fruits as snack. Try doing squats too once or twice a day if it is not a problem in your workplace. Squats gets the blood flowing after too much sitting. Yes, your breakfast should be more calories.