I think I maybe a diabetic

Options
Long story short I have been testing my blood sugar and its been over 160 and as high as 320. In the mornings after not eating anything during the night the lowest I have seen is 160. My grandma and dad is one. I have no insurance or a doctor however maybe going to the hositpal to see what they can do. I was going to go last night when my sugar reading got up to 286.

The reason why I'm posting this I could really use some of yalls advice. I'm only 21 and I don't want to be a diabetic the rest of my life. My grandma was able to change her completely and is now off all meds and not consider a diabetic. She still has to watch her sugar and diet but she is a 100% better then she used to be. So I know if I play my cards right I can reverse this.

But this is where I need yall. I don't know if there is any of yall with diabetics but I could really use some people to talk to, some advice, maybe some of yalls favorite foods and recipes, and even yalls websites yall like to use. Any information will be a great help to me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! I always turn to yall on mfp for my help and I'm so grateful for this site!

*Amanda*

Replies

• msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    hey,

i am the opposite of diabetic, i have low blood sugar. my grandma was diabetic, and we both followed the book "Sugar-Busters"
    that is the way humans should eat. (this will reduce your need for insulin. its a quick read, and after about a month you will get used to it. good luck :-)
  • stephc71885
    stephc71885 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    hi! i'm not a diabetic, but i am graduating from pharmacy school in 2 weeks and we learn a TON about diabetes. I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through! are you having any other symptoms (excessive thirst or urination, for example?). I would definitely try to get checked out. Technically, they can diagnose Type II diabetes when you have a fasting blood sugar over 126. It looks like yours being around 160 in the morning may be indicative of diabetes. However, they can do a blood test that will also tell them your average sugar levels over the last 3 months. If this number is >6 %, that is also diagnostic for diabetes. have you been sick or started any new medications recently? some meds can also cause increases in blood sugar. the good news is, type II diabetes can be extremely well controlled (like in your grandmother's case). Most of the medications they would start you are are very affordable (not sure where you live, but one pharmacy in ohio/pennsylvania actually has free diabetes meds!). A lot of them are on the $4 lists at the big chain pharmacies. it's important that you are recognizing this now so that you can prevent any of the long term complications that go along with being a diabetic. i know technically there is no cure for diabetes, but i have plenty of patients who have managed to "cure" themselves with lifestyle changes. it's a horrible disease, but with some work it can be well managed. i hope this helps!
  • ibelieveinlove7
    ibelieveinlove7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I can imagine how you must be feeling!! My mom became diabetic after not being able to get her weight off from having two children, but she put her mind to it and started exercising and her doctors constantly tell her that she could be worse. I have tried to stay away from diabetes because I know that I am at a higher risk (my grandfather had it, even though my mom's was adult-onset) and obese. I've kept my sugar levels low by following the South Beach Diet, which is low carb. Carbs turn into sugar and all that.... I used kalynskitchen.com a lot for recipes for SBD and have learned to adapt most recipes to be lower carb and/or higher protein and fiber as well.

I'm no expert, but I hope this helps!

p.s. either way, you should see a doctor!! Diabetes is a devastating disease and better to take control of it while you can!
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm 21, & a diabetic. :)
    Well technically...I'm now considered "insulin resistant," due to my PCOS & excessive weight.
    But basically it's the same thing.
    I'm also in your position--I can't afford the meds because I don't have insurance; but you definitely need to be diagnosed & treated in some way. Because...if left untreated, you'll have complications that you're not gonna want (eye problems, nerve problems...). I go to a low-price clinic, which costs me about 25-30$ depending, & the doctor gives me a prescription for meds that are about 4$ per refill...the off-brand Glucophage.
    The doctor will also be able to tell you whether you need to be on insulin or just pills, like I am. (:
    Alsoooo--
    It is very possible to "reverse" it ! My sugar has had good reading levels since I've started exercising...which allows me to skip some days in taking my meds. I'm suspecting that once I reach my weight loss goal, I can be off of them completely.
    It takes a little more work for diabetics (especially the young ones like us--I hate going out with my friends sometimes because I know I'm gonna overdo the carbs/sugar), but it's definitely not impossible.
    :D Add me if you'd like ! I like finding little recipes that're diabetic-friendly, & I'll send them your way.~
  • TornfacedTwat
    Options
    Hi Amanda,

What other symptoms do you have? For instance, a sure sign of diabetes is a very dry mouth and the need to urinate all the time. You may find that you need to get up a few times during the night to go to the loo.
    The most important thing you can do is look at your food intake. Make a list of all the food you generally eat during the week and then look at the sugar content. Your goal should be to cut out almost all your sugar intake until your blood sugar levels stabalise.
    Fruit is high in sugar but that is different from the refined sugar that is added to food. Sugar in fruit is called Fructose. You should replace alot of your food which contain high levels of added sugar with fruit. You should drink plenty of water and cut out fizzy sweet drinks. You shouldn't drink concentrated fruit juices which are high in sugar. Even innocent looking foods such as yoghurt are high in added sugar.
    You should look at this website for guidance:

http://www.bayerdiabetes.co.uk/sections/livemylife?WT.mc_id=kw_diabetes_health_Phrase&WT.srch=1

I was a borderline diabetic but got my blood sugar back to normal levels through healthy eating.
    Diabetes usually affect older adults or people who are obese...you look neither.
    I would advise you to seek professional advice however.

Good luck to you Amanda. If I can be of any further help, please let me know.

Regards,

Len
  • Sarahbear83
    Sarahbear83 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It will be cheaper and better for you to find a doctor, general practitioner, who will work out a payment plan with you. It would be a waste to go to the ER for suspecting you have diabetes. Call around and see if you can find someone who takes uninsured or underinsured patients, or possibly your local health department would be able to do testing and prescribe anything you need. I say this because in an ER, they may test you when you come in, but they'll tell you to follow up with your regular doctor. You're going to need to have more tests over the weeks or months after to check your levels again and see if you're able to control it.

My sister was just diagnosed as pre-diabetic and was able to get her sugar under control in about two weeks through better diet and exercise. I had gestational diabetes and was able to do the same. Mostly, you eat less sugar, more fiber and more water. Avoid white breads, white rice, potatoes, etc. Essentially a low carb diet and get your carbs from less processed foods, like brown rice, brown breads.

If you think you might be diabetic, it's important to get to a doctor to have yourself checked out. Yours may not be controllable through diet and exercise alone and diabetes is NOT something you want to play around with. The sooner you get it under control, the less havoc it can wreak on your body. In the mean time though, you can curb your eating habits and begin adding in exercise 3-5 days a week.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic, I was diagnoised with it when I was 21 and had gestational diabetes (while pregnant), that just turned into regular diabetes after. I have had years when I lost my weight and kept my self in control and didnt need meds and other times even a small 20 lbs gain would cause me to need meds again. I am now way over weight so do not let yourself have to deal with needing to lose over 100 lbs but you can at such a young age manage diabetes with diet and exercise, Exercise is really important but it really doesnt have to be even that much for diabetes control, a simple 30-45 min moderate pace walk a day is enough to control your sugars with the right diet, Not talking for weightloss although that may work but just strictly from a diabetic stand point. Watch basically the junk in your diet, carbs from breads, cereals, rice, potatoes, sweet potatos/yams, corn until you get to a Dr just remove those from your diet and also any regular sodas, juice, sweetened beverages, or sugar. Even watch some fruit although its good for you, for diabetics it raises sugar the same as well sugar. Keep your weight as close to what is deemed normal for your height and body structure and keep it there is the best advice and you will be better off,Stay well hydrated, drink enough water daily. I know easier said then done on losing weight but your young and can do this! If you have no or low income look into your states public assistant programs you might be able to get free diabetes supplies and meds, Good luck!
  • Losing2Live1989
    Losing2Live1989 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thank all of yall for yalls great advice! Really helped a lot! Now I think instead of going to ER I will just start looking next week for a doctor that can take me b/c I know my daddy is willing to pay! thanks so much
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You can also check around your town to see if there is a non profit clinic. These are popping up all over.... physicians realize that there is little or no help for some people and volunteer their time and services for donations to the clinics.
    Best of luck to you.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    My husband was diagnosed with type 2 in 2007. He was able to go completely off medication after losing a great amount of weight. Diabetes can be controlled with a healthy lifestyle (which this site can help you achieve). You might have to go on medication to begin with just to get it under control so you don't do damage to your other organs. Diabetes is not a death sentence so don't be afraid. Again a good healthy lifestyle and eating habits is all you need. :)
  • rngreen
    rngreen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but am graduating nursing school with a bachelor's in nursing in a few months. I care for many diabetic patients. I do recommend the advice given by another poster suggesting you find an actual practitioner that will work with you to get your levels under control. Also, statistics show that losing just 10% of your current body weight can reduce your level of insulin resistance by a significant amount! I suggest taking a look and following an ADA diet (American Dietetic). You can look it up by googling it. Also, check out your local paper or call the hospitals around the area for support groups and such. Many areas hold these to educate patients about the disease and what can be done to help. They may also be able to suggest local pharmacy and financial assistance programs to aid you in getting your prescriptions and health care at low cost. One more thing that I strongly encourage is to extra caution in preventing injury, getting your eyes examined yearly, and taking good care of your feet. Persons with diabetes have slow wound healing, increased risk of infection, and vision problems if their blood glucose levels are not well maintained.

Hoping that you can find the assistance you need and get this under control. Type 2 diabetes is a really manageable condition, and there are many ways of finding affordable help out there. Good luck to you!
  • Bethannny
    Bethannny Posts: 66
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type one diabetes when I was ten years old. It sounds like you have type two diabetes, which can be managed through diet. Having diabetes, you aren't supposed to count grams of sugar, you're supposed to count carbs. Too many carbohydrates can make your blood sugar rise. For example, french fries, bread and ESPECIALLY pizza. Pizza is the worst because it causes your blood sugar to rise and it takes hours for it to come down because the carbohydrates it contains are so complex. But that does not mean you should cut out all carbs because the your blood sugar will drop. I still highly suggest going to a doctor though because if you are in fact diabetic, it's important to have a doctor to guide you and keep a close eye on you.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I am type 2 Diabetic. It also runs in my family. I have no work insurance but get all my coverage through ORSA. It's a California state insurance program for low income people who work and can't afford insurance. They cover all my meds and even my meter. So it can be done with some research if need be! If you need help in the basics of caring for yourself, I write a blog here that talks about life with Diabetes.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Noctuary/view/diabetes-control-101-95784

I hope some of the info helps you out.