Sweet Tooth Confessions: Low fat/Low sugar sweet tooth fixes - Tips and Recipes

Options
After lunch a get a horrible craving for something sweet. What's in your stash at work, share some recipes or quick fixes that wont send my daily intake over the edge.

Replies

• chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I like to keep the portion small. I also like chocolate. A couple of andes mints. A single triangle of a toblerone. One square (or even a half square) of Trader Joe's dark chocolate with hazelnuts.

Most days I have fruit after lunch - oranges, pineapple and berries seem to give me the most enjoyment for my calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Some fruit, Greek yogurt (not the type with artificial sweeteners apparently), chocolate covered nuts or dark chocolate seem to be the main things that won't induce a later carb binge for me.
  • LaLa_Ventura
    LaLa_Ventura Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    chouflour wrote: »
    I like to keep the portion small. I also like chocolate. A couple of andes mints. A single triangle of a toblerone. One square (or even a half square) of Trader Joe's dark chocolate with hazelnuts.

Most days I have fruit after lunch - oranges, pineapple and berries seem to give me the most enjoyment for my calories.

A couple? I cant handle that. I would demolish a tombstone bar. Berries sound good. I cant wait to go snack shopping.
  • LaLa_Ventura
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Some fruit, Greek yogurt (not the type with artificial sweeteners apparently), chocolate covered nuts or dark chocolate seem to be the main things that won't induce a later carb binge for me.

Dark chocolate is awesome but the ones I find are high in fat with tiny servings. Ill have to search harder.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Dark chocolate ( Lindt 85% )
    Fruit with full fat Greek yog ( Fage Total in UK )
    Oppo Stevia based ice cream ( if you are in UK )
    Movenpick chocolate ice cream half portion with clementines to make up the rest
  • bettybing1
    bettybing1 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Fruit is a big one but I get that it doesn't always satisfy a sweet tooth.
    Muller light yogurts - the desert ones like Banoffee Pie are really good and about 100 cal.
    Light cereal bars - I like Alpen Light ones which are about 70 cal.
    If I have a chocolate craving I've actually found Nakd Cocoa Crunch bars to be very satisfying and they're about 110 cal, I think.
    I also have light hot chocolate like Options which vary from about 38 cal to 60 cal per sachet. These seem to be what keep me away from sweet things of an evening. Triple good for being low cal, tasting good, and hydrating me.
    I'm in the UK but I'm sure some of these will be in the US or they'll have an equivalent.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Dark chocolate is awesome but the ones I find are high in fat with tiny servings. Ill have to search harder.

fat wont make you fat and is a necessary macronutrient.
  • cwhomewood
    cwhomewood Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also couldn't handle a triangle of toblerone, would have to demolish a whole bar. What works for me is individually wrapped chocolate biscuits, then I can only have one and are aobut 100 calories each, or a pot of chocolate dessert, you know one of those with cream on top or an Aero mint dessert. All of these are around 100 calories (Find Rocky's addictive though).

Also I didn't do crisps before but I do now as a pack of skips is only 77 calories, and having recently learnt that popcorn is good for you, started getting multipacks of 20-25g bags from the poundshop, and their about 100 calories a bag as well.

For less I sometimes defrost a mini-snack like a meatball or a mini spring roll, these are only around 60 calories each and a couple of these fill me up a while, or a handful of brussel sprouts I also find filling.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Baked sweet potato with cinnamon. It hits the sweet spot and packs a punch in nutrition.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth after lunch, helps with cravings!
  • kali_athena
    kali_athena Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello. Fiber One 90 calorie brownies and lemon bars.
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    FiberOne chocolate and oats granola bars taste like a treat and are 140 calories per bar. They also have 90 calorie bars but I don't like them, they have a weird coffee taste to me.

Swiss Miss hot chocolate, 25-190 calories per packet depending on kind.

Oreos, 140 calories for three cookies isn't too bad.
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    I have a few things I can make that help MY sweet tooth. (That means it might not work for you)

Iced coffee made with skim milk
    Sweet tea/coffee (I just add more sweetener)
    Hot/cold cocoa
    Yoghurt with cocoa powder and sweetener
    Caramel popcorn
    80% chocolate
    Cinnamon milk
    Any fruit - drizzled with honey
    Frozen yoghurt

(These are all no more than 150 calories if you keep to serving sizes)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for recipes or prepackaged things? Skinny cow has lower calories candy and ice cream. Chocolate almond milk is fairly low calorie. Sugar free cookies and candy are lower calorie.
  • TheresaKnits
    TheresaKnits Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving carbs after lunch, I go with string cheese. At the moment I'm back on South Beach for a couple of weeks to banish the carb craving. YMMV but it works for me. I have to "detox" occasionally when I get to a point that I only want pasta, bread, and fruit. One or two weeks on SB gets me back into veggie mode.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Not a quick fix, quite the contrary, and in my opinion much better: Eat well (enough fat, protein, vitamins, fiber, taste) throughout the day so that you don't get those cravings in the first place, or just occasionally. Continuing the habit will only reinforce the link in your brain between a certain situation and eating something sweet, and replacements may make you feel deprived and long for the real deal. Treat treats as treats.
  • LaLa_Ventura
    Options
    You have no idea how much this is helping me. I'm usually creative when it comes to things like this but I been tuck in a rut.

I have a bog of sweet potatoes, I will but individually packed items, sugar free jello (totally forgot about that one).
  • cwhomewood
    cwhomewood Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yep sweet potatoes sliced and baked in the oven (maybe with some paprika sprinkled on top) is a regular evening treat of mine which is good for me.