Baby steps

Options
i haven't exercised in quite a while and I'm excited I was able to do 10 minutes on my elliptical! This may seem small but I hope I'm not the only one excited over first time exercising

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Not at all - congratulations for doing that! I started doing 15 minutes on the elliptical and 15 minutes on the stationary bike - no shame in that.

I have worked out with friends that go hard and want show off (not sure for who) and then they get hurt or are so sore they don't workout again for days. While I am going slow and steady and working out each day . . . 94 pounds gone! Take your time, know that you can learn how to do just about anything.
  • MartiC0525
    Options
    I feel the exact same way! I did 10 minutes on the elliptical earlier today and it felt great to just be on it. One thing I've learned from past weight loss attemps is that too much too soon can lead to failure. Start with the baby steps and keep pushing a little harder each workout. Keep it moving girl!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I remember the first time I stepped on a stepper (predates ellipticals). I could only do 10 minutes. I saw a woman bust out 60 minutes like a boss and set a goal for myself, committing to it. Within a year, I ran my first marathon.

You can do it!
  • kristis74
    kristis74 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    Not at all - congratulations for doing that! I started doing 15 minutes on the elliptical and 15 minutes on the stationary bike - no shame in that.

I have worked out with friends that go hard and want show off (not sure for who) and then they get hurt or are so sore they don't workout again for days. While I am going slow and steady and working out each day . . . 94 pounds gone! Take your time, know that you can learn how to do just about anything.

Wow that's awesome! That's helps to keep me motivated. Thank you!
    MartiC0525 wrote: »
    I feel the exact same way! I did 10 minutes on the elliptical earlier today and it felt great to just be on it. One thing I've learned from past weight loss attemps is that too much too soon can lead to failure. Start with the baby steps and keep pushing a little harder each workout. Keep it moving girl!

Thank you!! The workout is the hardest for me
  • kristis74
    Options
    Congratulations! I remember the first time I stepped on a stepper (predates ellipticals). I could only do 10 minutes. I saw a woman bust out 60 minutes like a boss and set a goal for myself, committing to it. Within a year, I ran my first marathon.

You can do it!
    That's great! You ladies impress me. I really appreciate the motivation and it helps! Thank you
  • kristis74
    Options
    I have back and neck issues and my doctor said start slow. Three times a week at 10 mins each and slowly add time. I'm on again tonight! Thanks for the encouragment. :D
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    kristis74 wrote: »

You can do it!
    That's great! You ladies impress me. I really appreciate the motivation and it helps! Thank you

Not a lady, but you’re welcome.
  • kristis74
    Options

You can do it!

Not a lady, but you’re welcome.

lol. So sorry Allen. I see that now. Still very appreciated
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere! Good for you, keep it up!! Good luck to you!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Ten minutes is more than you were doing so that is a huge improvement. Good for you!

I have tried the elliptical but didn't like it, or a treadmill. I prefer to go for a walk and enjoy the constantly changing scenery.
  • kristis74
    Options
    :)
  • lennonluvr
    lennonluvr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I too am brand new to this. I did 20 minutes today, and I thought to myself, I know this gets easier. I see people doing it all the time.

I want to be able to get a one hour workout done all at once so I have the rest of my day.

Good for you kristis, and keep up the good work.
  • kristis74
    Options
    Ten minutes is more than you were doing so that is a huge improvement. Good for you!

I have tried the elliptical but didn't like it, or a treadmill. I prefer to go for a walk and enjoy the constantly changing scenery.

Hey Beemer... Do u have a bim
    lennonluvr wrote: »
    I too am brand new to this. I did 20 minutes today, and I thought to myself, I know this gets easier. I see people doing it all the time.

I want to be able to get a one hour workout done all at once so I have the rest of my day.

Good for you kristis, and keep up the good work.

• kristis74
    Options
    Thanks. I'm going for it again today. This is the hardest part for me. Good luck to you too Lennon!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I like the saying "No matter the pace, you are lapping everyone on the couch!" Ten minutes is a great start! Keep it up! :D
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Ten today means you can do more tomorrow if you choose . fitness. Is between you. And yourself. Good Luck
  • kristis74
    Options
  • kristis74
    Options
    I like the saying "No matter the pace, you are lapping everyone on the couch!" Ten minutes is a great start! Keep it up! :D

Love that saying! So true!
  • glassfern53
    glassfern53 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i haven't exercised in quite a while and I'm excited I was able to do 10 minutes on my elliptical! This may seem small but I hope I'm not the only one excited over first time exercising
    It was so frigid and below zero here yesterday I didn't go out much and do hardly any walking. I have a dog and she has to potty. I actually recorded one minute of slow-paced walking to my exercises (I think it was 5 calories- maybe less?). Some days all I do is 12 minutes of slow paced walking (Dixie has to constantly stop and sniff interesting things on the ground and I only record the movement time for us and subtract the standing sill sniffing time.) I average about 56 calories burned a day.