clothing sizes (uk people answer please)

Options
nothing against any other country it is only something uk people understand.

i am currently a uk size 8, well sort of. i am size 8 in new look, river island, asda, dorothy perkins. i wear aged 12-13 teenage clothes in tesco. i have seen a jacket online which is from next. they only have size 8 or 12 available.
are next generous with their sizes? would i be able to fit into a size 8??
i am a size 12 in H+M hence me asking what next clothes are like.

thanks in advance

Replies

• emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    Next are pretty much the same size-wise as New Look and River Island as far as I can say from my experience :)
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I would say go with the size 8, i find next clothes fit well, I also have to sometimes buy bigger sizes in h&m as their clothes are all kind of different cuts etc!
  • ohdear1986
    ohdear1986 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ok thank you, i just didn't want to get a 12 in case it was like a tent or an 8 in case of it being too small. will order the size 8 and see how i get on
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have found Next to sizes to come up a lot smaller than other retailers. I dont take a size 8 thoughl I am an 18. Or a 16 or a 20 depending on the store. But even when I needed their maternity clothes in the summer, I found them to be smaller and just not fit in the slightest..

But if you order it and find the size to be wrong you should be able to change it or get a refund in store.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I reckon you could manage a size 8, m'dear. It's so annoying how shops can be so different and difficult with their sizes!

By the way, congrats on being a size 8!! I'm hoping to squeeze into those one day!
  • ohdear1986
    Options
    that's so odd, when i was pregnant i was a size 22 and next maternity jeans in a size 14 where massive!
  • phinners
    Options
    I reckon you could manage a size 8, m'dear. It's so annoying how shops can be so different and difficult with their sizes!
    It's some crap to do with 'vanity sizing' or something, but yes it is bloody annoying!
  • nuttylou
    nuttylou Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ive always found Next to be generous with sizing :-) x
  • phinners
    Options
    that's so odd, when i was pregnant i was a size 22 and next maternity jeans in a size 14 where massive!
    Blimey really? I was an 18 before pregnant and am an 18 now, but had to buy size 26 tents from Evans becuase I found most maternity clothes to be stupidly small - including Next and New Look.
  • ohdear1986
    Options
    i think it is because i am top heavy. like an upside down traffic cone! my hips are non existant. my hips where 41" when my waist was 46". now my hips are 34" and waist 28".
  • phinners
    Options
    With a bit of luck I shall we making similar threads at some points! I dont think I'll ever be an 8 though,. not even when I was in the Army was I an 8 lol. I think I'd be happy at a chubby 12- 14. Many congrats on your 88lbs gone!
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'd be so happy at a size 10. But if there was any way that my bone structure allows me to get into 8's i'll sit down and cry with joy.
  • annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That's strange you're a size 12 in H&M and an 8 everywhere else. o_o I'm a 10 in H&M, River Island, Topshop, etc. The same everywhere. 12 & 8's a big difference too!
    However I'm a 12 in Tesco...
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Next are the same as New Look, I shop in both all the time but NEVER go in Topshop anymore because they come up small - thats if I can even find anything bigger than a size 4 in there anyway! (FYI, gap, M&S and ASDA all come up big so I'm a flattering size down in those stores :wink: ) ... and yeah strange about H&M! I'm the same size there as new look or next :-/
  • ohdear1986
    Options
    it might be because i have only ever tried dresses on in h+m. ones which totally zip up at the back. maybe my friend didn't try hard enough zipping me up. i find my (o)(o)'s are still quite big dispite my size. i measure a 34C in m+s yet the shop assistant let me buy a 34D because i couldn't house a C cup.