TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    lauraldrum wrote: »
    Oops - you're right.

1360 Calories
    Fat - 38g
    Carbs - 136g
    Protein - 119

I have my fitbit synced to MFT but I don't eat my exercise.

IMO you should be - at least a portion of them.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Often people lose weight rapidly when they start and it slows down as they continue. It takes calories to maintain that extra fat. The more obese, the faster the initial loss. If you slow down on the weekly loss, please try not to be discouraged and keep going. Two pounds is ambitious, possible at first.

Welcome! and keep plugging!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    According to this scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/, you should net about 1700 cals/day. Don't try to rush it -- in general, the slower you lose the more permanent the loss.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Oops - you're right.

1360 Calories
    Fat - 38g
    Carbs - 136g
    Protein - 119

IMO you should be - at least a portion of them.

Agreed
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If it helps at all I'm 34 (almost 35), 5'6", and started at 242 and am down to 228 since January 1st and I'm eating a lot more than 1360/day. Check my diary cause I'm all over the place calorie-wise (added exercise too), but I'm losing weight.
  • lauraldrum
    lauraldrum Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you arkmom - I love seeing people's diaries to see what they're eating!
  • lauraldrum
    lauraldrum Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I asked another licensed nutritionist:

"Hey sorry this took forever and a day to respond. I'd say 1300-1500 is an appropriate range. The cho, protein fat grams you provided above actually land you at 1490 kcal or so, but food and calorie count the specific is very challenging to follow to a t like that every day. So ranges would be better to follow- 130-160 grams per day of cho; 30-45 grams of fat and then 110-130 high end for protein. Protein and cho work the same, both eaten in excess will still be stored as fat in our body and we don't want too much protein either because it causes strain in our kidneys. Then it takes out fruits and veggies emphasis too which image mostly cho, few protein and beneficial in every way under the sun! Congrats on the weight loss thus far-2:lb a week is poifect! Keep me posted. And feel free to check out choosemyplate.gov- that's a fun site"
  • mlssalnrd
    Options
    Your repost from your nutritionist friend was very helpful. Thank you for sharing. I am going to check my current stats to make sure that I am following "130-160 grams per day of cho; 30-45 grams of fat and then 110-130 high end for protein".
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    WTH is cho?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    WTH is cho?

Carbohydrates. Carbs are made up of Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen. CHO.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    WTH is cho?

Carbohydrates. Carbs are made up of Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen. CHO.

ooooh.....I've been on this site for almost 3 years and never saw that before. I was thinking of a nice Pho...with extra sriracha.... :)
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Go for a modest loss per week - 0.5 to 1lb - and keep your carbs as far below 50% of calorie intake as you can manage. Track and get most of your sugars from fresh fruits.

All IMHO and based on personal experience. Good luck!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    i agree that 1300 is too low. My ideal range is as much food as humanly possible to still get results. I would change goal to 1lb/week because if you feel full now it's most likely a) psychological, b) due to eating too much anyways so might as well start with a higher goal so you can lower it more easily in response to your results.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just enough so you consistently lose weight, yet still feel comfortable at the dinner table (can walk away not feeling "starved" or "deprived" or denying your favorite foods all the time). Some can lose 5 or more pounds a week. A few can't handle more than half a pound a week. Most are pretty comfortable with a pound or two every week or so.

Regardless of what anyone tells you, the only way to reliably and accurately find this point is experimentation. It may take weeks, or even months of trial and error to find, but you're in it for the long-haul, right?

1360 is as good a place as any to start taking data and making adjustments.

NOTE: It's also a Moving Target. What works now, may not work for you in ... say .. 4 months.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and at 1360 but I do eat back exercise - or at least, I allow them in my daily count so if I'm hungry I can eat up to the 1360 + exercise, but I don't make any special effort to eat the extra. Hopefully that makes sense.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    1600 calories w/o exercise would put you at a 25% deficit which is the most I would suggest for anyone (and honestly, I think it's too big for pretty much most people). And then you should eat back 1/2 of your exercise calories on top of that. You will lose between 1-2 lb a week eating that. (Figured out using your info and Scooby Workshop set at desk job/no working out).
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You don't want to start so low because as you lose weight, you might have to go even lower to achieve any further weight loss - that's why a 15-20% deficit and eating 1/2 of your calories is a better idea. Personally, I'd rather eat more and do it more slowly and keep as much lean muscle mass as possible.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Oops - you're right.

1360 Calories
    Fat - 38g
    Carbs - 136g
    Protein - 119

1360 sounds fine to me for your height but I WOULD eat back your exercise calories - you earned them! (And you already have your deficit) :)

• Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    You don't want to start so low because as you lose weight, you might have to go even lower to achieve any further weight loss - that's why a 15-20% deficit and eating 1/2 of your calories is a better idea. Personally, I'd rather eat more and do it more slowly and keep as much lean muscle mass as possible.

And I think mymmodernbaby is saying eating 1/2 of your exercise calories back (if using the MFP guided route to calculating your calories).

If you use TDEE (and include how much you are actually working out in those calculations) you don't eat back your exercise calories.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    No one has asked the million dollar question yet. How closely do you count your calories? Do you weigh 100% of your food on a scale, or do you use measuring cups/tablespoons (those are meant for liquids only) or are you just estimating portion size? Any cheat/free days? Do you eat out often and have to guess at the calories?

What I'm getting at is that if your calorie count isn't fairly tight, your 13-1400 calories might actually be much more then that. I know at one point I was logging 1600 calories a day which was way to low for me at the time (6'1 about 260ish). But in reality I was not weighing anything, and had a weekly cheat day. So my average was probably closer to 22-2500 which is perfectly appropriate.

If you are keeping your count tight, weighing everything, etc, and indeed eating that much, I would agree, it's too low. While it might not be affecting you right now, it more then likely will. Most people who eat very low calories for too long find they are low on energy, tempted to cheat or binge, and can suffer from poor recovery from workouts.