Motivation Down

I've lost 22 lbs in about 2 months and I've noticed my motivation has really taken a nosedive. I'm still eating okay (about 1200-1400 calories/day) and still being active (hiking 3 miles, doing Zumba and/or going to the gym 5 days a week), but I feel like I'm just going through the motions and not actually enjoying it.
I think that part of the problem is that I know I have a lot more weight to lose and that I am frustrated by the number on the scale. I weigh about 5 lbs less than a friend who is an American size 20 and I wear an American size 14/16 and I think the fact that I have so much to lose to get to a healthy weight is bumming me out because I don't actually see that happening.

Replies

• Let me get this right, you have lost 22 lbs in 2 months and you are bummed out? Maybe set some realistic expectations and goals.
  • chantelleelise13
    chantelleelise13 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm not bummed out about the weight loss, I'm just feeling a lack of motivation to continue. And, for the record, it wasn't easy losing weight. I'm usually heavily active for several hours a day, including an active job.
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Like Buddha says, "If you are facing the right direction, keep walking."

I lost 40 lbs in about 7 months. It took me 2 years to lose the last 25. Your body does not change overnight.

I yo-yo dieted for years before this last time; I always had a "I'm on a diet" mindset instead of "this is the new normal" mindset. Once I flipped that mental switch, it enabled me to maintain within 3lbs of goal for 5 years now.

That's life when you're a fat person like me!
  • brayman1701d
    brayman1701d Posts: 10 Member
    Motivation will dip up and down but keep it up and keep on going and make it a habit and you'll get there before you know it.
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Fantastic comment xMrBunglex! That is so true. I lost weight and kept it off for two years. I lost motivation too Chantel. I gained it all back and I am here again. IT is a normal part of this journey to feel like it is never going to end. I know so many times I wished "Can't I just do this once and stop working so hard for it"? The truth is just as Mr. Bunglex says. You have to make it the new normal. You may have to mix it up and do some different things. It is easy to get bored doing the same things all the time. Hang in there and make friends that motivate you. I come here for this. I see their workouts and food diary's and it keeps me more motivated than trying to do it "alone". I suggest watching "fat, sick and nearly dead" part 1 and 2. It explains so much about how our body uses food and why we get the way we do.
    Good luck on your journey!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    blimey. i was losing 1 pound a week if i was lucky. You have lost loads. Well done
    1. keep on going and be happy with your achievements. Set mini goals and dont think about the bigger number for now. Reward yourself when you meet each goal.
    2. never compare yourself with any one else. she is not your identical twin. it will just mess with your head. I used to do the same. we are all made differently

With the exercise it just becomes natural as time goes on. good luck
  • Catherineis138
    Catherineis138 Posts: 2 Member
    Great work so far!!! I have struggled with motivation too. I have noticed when I am really doing well with my motivation- my attitude is very positive. Do not focus on what you haven't accomplished, focus on what you have! You are 22 lbs down! Have faith that your efforts are making a difference every day for your body (even if you do not see them right away). Also, focus on measurements rather than the weight on the scale. I lost a ton of inches strength training, but my weight changed very little. However, people started asking me what I was doing to lose weight and I didn't know what to say! My size was going down from strength training, but the scale wouldn't budge. I got so frustrated with not seeing numbers change on the scale that I quit working out all together! And surprise, I gained my inches back and lost a ton of strength. The good new is, I got my head right and realized that I rather look like a size 4, even if my weight was more like a size 12. There is a broad 'healthy weight' range on weight charts for a reason. Hopefully my point is coming across clearly! I have ditched the scale, started focusing on the positives and have had great success so far. You'll do amazing- just believe it :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    I've lost 22 lbs in about 2 months and I've noticed my motivation has really taken a nosedive. I'm still eating okay (about 1200-1400 calories/day) and still being active (hiking 3 miles, doing Zumba and/or going to the gym 5 days a week), but I feel like I'm just going through the motions and not actually enjoying it.
    I think that part of the problem is that I know I have a lot more weight to lose and that I am frustrated by the number on the scale. I weigh about 5 lbs less than a friend who is an American size 20 and I wear an American size 14/16 and I think the fact that I have so much to lose to get to a healthy weight is bumming me out because I don't actually see that happening.

This is exactly what is supposed to be happening: you've created new habits. Doesn't mean we're excited about it all the time, but it is already learned behavior that is working for you. So you just keep doing it: go through the motions. That's how you succeed.

Sometimes we'll be more into working out than others and sometimes we'll be more diligent with our food choices and variety and other times it will seem annoying. Doesn't matter. Just keep on keeping on! You're doing great!

Oh, and NEVER compare yourself to others. That inevitably leads to disappointment. You are a unique individual. Treat yourself that way.