My hip hurts from doing the elliptical! Am I alone?

Options
so I just started working out and I've been doing the ellipitical for about 30-40 mins (when my fav shows are on).

But yesterday it felt like my hip was going to slide/pop out. And when I woke up this morning the weird pain was there.

It doesn't hurt but it's definitely uncomfortable.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Go to the doctor. There are all sorts of things this could be, so I am not going to presume, but I will tell you that I have chronic hip bursitis. I am extraordinarily wide across my hips with a small waist, so instead of having legs that are angled like this II, my legs are more like this ^.

If I do the wrong sort of exercise (or even the right sort) and don't baby my hips, I get bursitis - the bursa sac in my hips, where my femur fits into the socket of my hips, takes too much pounding at a bad angle for its design, and the bursa sac inflames.

The fastest way I've found to reduce this inflammation is to go to the doctor and get a steroid shot directly into that joint. (By the way this hurts like a badword badword reallybadword, but then I'm fine in about a day in a half.) The second fastest way is to get a steroid shot in the fleshy part of my hip. The third fastest way is to take oral steroids. The slowest way for me to clear up a case of hip bursitis is to take Aleve and sit on ice packs all day. (I do this to keep my bursitis at bay, actually.)

Interestingly enough, when I have good, strong muscles in my hips, I don't have as many problems with bursitis. But to get those good muscles in my hips, I have to be awfully careful and I have episodes of really owie bursitis from the exercise needed to get those good muscles. Go figure.

It just hurts in my hips, not my butt exactly, but deep in the socket of my hips when I have hip bursitis at first. When it gets really bad, the pain travels to my knees because the nerves are pinched.

Anywho. Go to the doctor. You may have something totally different.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ...I've been doing the ellipitical for about 30-40 mins...
    But yesterday it felt like my hip was going to slide/pop out. And when I woke up this morning the weird pain was there...

Are you stretching beforehand?
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    It's an extremely repetitive motion, so I'm guessing that is playing a role too.
  • skinny_inside_70
    skinny_inside_70 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. My eliptical at home was painless but the one at the gym hurt. I asked my nutrionist why she said different machines position your body at different angles. Not sure if thats your problem. I would definitely go to your DR.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I just went to the doctor with a similar problem. She said she thinks I have bursitis.

Have me a steroid shot and a time release anti inflammatory. Told me to keep doing yoga and weights, but to avoid cardio with repetitive motion on the joint for awhile (which is pretty much all cardio right?). She recommended swimming, which I would love to do, but don't have access to a pool.

Sucks. I guess I'll do the recumbent bike for awhile. It's the best option I can think of.
  • jaclynmartucci
    Options
    40 minutes of the eliiptical is a long time!! Does it hurt immediately or towards the end? Try HIIT instead of steady paced cardio. I do 15 minutes max of cardio 2 times per week.