A glass of wine

Options
Hello! I'm new to weight loss. I'm using the app to count my calories and track my nutrition and I'm staying within my limits. I'm trying to exercise more, but I have NOT given up my glass of wine (or two) at dinner. I have been measuring out 6 oz. glasses and sometimes, I will have two with dinner. Could this be the culprit? I hate to say it's a habit....but it's a habit! My way of unwinding at night!

Replies

• noodle412
    noodle412 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    How long have you been tracking for and not seeing any changes? You definitely shouldn't have to give up your glass of wine, and if you're eating well, it should all work itself out. My biggest suggestion would be to eliminate processed foods and added sugars as much as possible. If you're eating a variety of real foods, mostly veggies, you should see a difference in a few weeks.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I did and the pounds are coming off. Get rid of the wine during the week, drink it on the weekends and see what sort of impact it has on your diet/weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I drank a glass of wine (or two) most nights when I lost weight. And have had a glass of wine (or two) most nights now. Who cares if it's a habit. My nightly chocolate is a habit too.
    How long have you been tracking?
    What are your stats? height, weight, age, calories you're eating etc...
    An open diet might help us help you.

If you truly think wine is the hindrance, try giving it up. I didn't see a difference, though I might now that I'm older and peri-menopausal.
  • smithjl2
    smithjl2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I say stick to your glass of wine a night :smile: The health benefits are proven. As long as you're measuring it out properly, you should be able to get an accurate calorie count and work it into your daily allotment. I allowed myself three yesterday :\ Probably a bit excessive for a Wednesday, but I love it and I only went over my calories a little bit.
  • synergymom
    synergymom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! I do think processed foods might be adding to my problem too. It feels like I carry "water weight" and I have been eating smart ones "healthy" lunch and sometimes processed dinners too (HIGH in sodium).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    synergymom wrote: »
    THANK YOU! I do think processed foods might be adding to my problem too. It feels like I carry "water weight" and I have been eating smart ones "healthy" lunch and sometimes processed dinners too (HIGH in sodium).

The sodium bombs in frozen convenience foods can make the scale number higher, yes.
  • smithjl2
    smithjl2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a nutritionist at my gym about the frozen meals. She said that, while most of them aren't really great for you, Healthy Choice is a good option. I guess they use fresher ingredients, less sodium, etc. They are more expensive, so try to find them on sale and with a coupon!
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    WINE-1581.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    When you ask if the wine could be the culprit, what do you mean? Are you not losing? When did you start trying to lose?

How long have you been exercising more? New or increased intesity exercise can cause you to retain water for a while.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have wine or a hard cider most nights and I still lose. I think it's more important to accurately track calories (weigh and measure to a T) than give up on something you enjoy. Also, weight loss isn't linear and it's fine to not see a loss every single week.
  • GoldieGlocks
    GoldieGlocks Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Noo! Anything but the wine!! As long as your not going over your calories it shouldn't matter at all. *Cheers!!* ;)
  • synergymom
    synergymom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Again, thanks! I hate to give up my wine. Ill continue to measure it out each night. I've been trying to switch up my exercise and have added free weights and pilates! GREAT suggestion on the Healthy Choice meals!

• SkinnyCat39
    SkinnyCat39 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I gave up the beer and started drinking wine and I still loose unless I drink more than 2 glasses a night. I'm trying to only drink wine every other night, but that's not happening right now. :D
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I come from a family filled with alcoholics (and I'm not saying or implying that anyone here is an alcoholic!!!!) but most people do not just have one or two glasses.

Especially those that drink daily.

That's 750 calories over a week (if you only drink one glass a night). As long as it fits your goals there should be no problem.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options

Oh, yep, given this info I'd say don't give up the wine. Give up the processed, frozen meals. You'll be happier and you'll notice a difference. That sodium content can be killer! Paired with alcohol it is worse. Keep the wine (within reason) and make meals from scratch.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I drank wine the entire time I was loosing weight. I have since switched to vodka and soda water because I like the bubbles but I will still have a glass wine every now and then.

Are you weighing your food with a scale? That really seemed to help me when I started doing that. I was unsure what 4 oz of chicken looked like and I was way over estimating that before scale. Try one of those.

Oh and enjoy your wine! Cheers!
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Probably too good to be true.

"A glass of red wine is the equivalent to an hour at the gym, says new study"

http://www.mydaily.co.uk/2015/01/26/a-glass-of-red-wine-is-the-equivalent-to-an-hour-at-the-gym-says-study/
  • Thinsue02
    Thinsue02 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    [
    Hello! I'm new to weight loss. I'm using the app to count my calories and track my nutrition and I'm staying within my limits. I'm trying to exercise more, but I have NOT given up my glass of wine (or two) at dinner. I have been measuring out 6 oz. glasses and sometimes, I will have two with dinner. Could this be the culprit? I hate to say it's a habit....but it's a habit! My way of unwinding at night!

• Thinsue02
    Thinsue02 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking and trying for about ten days. I have lost even with wine. I love my wine at night. I hate to give up. I am going to try a spritzer tonight with seltzer and a splash of red wine. Just to save some extra calories
    It is cocktail hour at our house and hard for me to turn down.
  • Redinky22
    Options
    I have a couple of glasses every evening after dinner. I cut out as much processed foods and bread as possible and was amazed at the way I lost weight. The secret is getting rid of carbs and sugars. All processed foods have a lot of sugars and added bad fats so that could be your problem. Cheers!