Fitbit??

Options
Hi does anyone recommend a fitbit or something of that nature. I don't know much about them but interested in getting one!! Also can someone tell me how to add people lol

Replies

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have the models flex and charge HR. Most models count your steps based on you walking and moving your wrist and estimate the amount of calories burned. They have a couple of models that have heart rate monitors to help better give you an estimate of calories burned for the day. I have one of the those models and the heart rate monitor is not accurate so its pretty worthless. If the device helps you consiously think about moving more, doing more exercise and just being more active in general then i say get one. Also dont know how to add people, sorry.
  • ColleenZ101
    Options
    I agree with betuel175. I just got a Fitbit Charge for Christmas and it has been motivating. I try to increase the number of steps per week - but it's really surprising how sedentary I am . You add people by clicking on their name and requesting friend. You can practice with me!
  • mistyloveslife
    mistyloveslife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I got the fitbit one after Christmas. It's tiny and can be worn just about anywhere. I like it better than the ones you wear on your arm because you can literally put it anywhere. I clip mine to my bra most of the time and you never see it. If you want a constant reminder to get up and move I hear the flex is really good! I don't know anything about adding people but the app is really easy to use. When I want to know my steps and can't see the fitbit, I just look at the app. It syncs when you click on it. Good luck!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit that I had bought last year. I used it for exactly one month and then put it away. It really was a waste of money for me - I already exercise plenty with weight training and so forth, so to try to meet 10,000 steps a day for me was just time consuming and unnecessary. But it's motivating for some so if you think it might help you, go for it.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have and recommend the Zip. Wrist trackers seem goofy to me!
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Like ColleenZ101 said, you just click on the persons name and click add friend, to add people. I am trying to decide myself which FitBit or other tracker to get. So I will be looking back here to see what people say. Add me if you'd like!
  • CarynCharB
    CarynCharB Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have the HR and like it. There are several of us at work with them and we compete against each other which is motivating. I'm not sure how accurate they are however.
  • MrNilli
    MrNilli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the Misfit Shine and love it. It can worn on the wrist, in a necklace or it has a clasp that can be worn anywhere. My wife has a Fitbit, one feature she likes, that the Shine lacks, is the vibrating alarm.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've used a Fitbit One since early 2013 and I love it. It definitely makes me more aware of moving and, since you can friend other people with Fitbits, there's an added element of competitiveness that factors in (I never would have guessed that I was as competitive as I seem to be).

I personally prefer the models don't have to be on the wrist.
  • srea19
    srea19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about getting a Fitbit. My coworker has one and she says it helps her keep up with her 10,000 steps per day and is helping her loose weight!
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Looking at a lot of these trackers, it seems that some of them have software glitches or they don't charge after a few uses. I haven't seen a really reliable one on the market yet.
  • whatamaroon
    whatamaroon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My wife's been using the Fitbit One for over a year now. She loves it. It is a great motivator. Fitbit has a "Challege" feature that allows her to compete with her friends for total steps taken. This has been a great motivator for her. I've been using an Omron pedometer for 2 years now that I bought at Walmart for $25. It is very accurate,and does the same thing as the fitbit, but I need to manually put in my exercise data into MyFitnessPal. No big deal. Having said that, I have my own Fitbit One on order. I was going to go with the Zip, but got a great deal on the One. I like the fact I don't have to change batteries every 4 months. Both are good and both have their unique advantages. Whether you decide on a Fitbit, Mio, Jawbone, Garmin, or some other device that measures your steps, you will find it a great motivator as it shows you over time your progress that you can relate to your weight loss. Hardest part for me was not whether or not I should get one, but deciding which one to buy. Best of luck to you on your weight loss journey.
  • MummyKate85
    MummyKate85 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I bought a fitbit flex a couple of weeks ago and I love it. It is very motivating for me - it makes me want to get up and move! Well worth the money in my opinion :)
  • Datarn
    Datarn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit - keeps me moving!
  • I agree with betuel175. I just got a Fitbit Charge for Christmas and it has been motivating. I try to increase the number of steps per week - but it's really surprising how sedentary I am . You add people by clicking on their name and requesting friend. You can practice with me!

When I click on peoples names it just keeps loading and won't let me see profiles. Maybe I need to restart phone
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex and I like it. I wear it everyday and it keeps me motivated to move. At times I set goals for myself and that gets extra steps in.
  • DanielleMesa
    DanielleMesa Posts: 38 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have the fitbit Charge HR. I really like the heart rate monitoring because it feel it gives me a more accurate estimate of calorie burn when I am exercising. It works best with step based activities. I also like the display right on my wrist. I can see my stats without having to look at my phone. Also it vibrates when you hit your step goal which is a great moment of celebration. I like having fitbit friends who compete in challenges. It motivates me to get up and walk more and more!

If anyone wants to fitbit friend me: https://www.fitbit.com/user/36D3PQ
  • Thanks for all the helpful Input from everyone. I am going to do some research. I love the competitive part. I'm very competitive at stuff against friends lol. I think this may motivate me.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I had a fitbit that I had bought last year. I used it for exactly one month and then put it away. It really was a waste of money for me - I already exercise plenty with weight training and so forth, so to try to meet 10,000 steps a day for me was just time consuming and unnecessary. But it's motivating for some so if you think it might help you, go for it.

Agreed. If you already work out, Fitbit is fairly pointless (and I found it to be shockingly inaccurate). And even if you don't work out, if you have a smart phone you can measure distance with better accuracy than Fitbit will measure steps.

But whatever works to get you motivated is worth it as long as it fits your budget.

• I do have a smartphone. Is there any good weightloss apps?