Does anyone else strugglet with this?

Options
Xpecta
Xpecta Posts: 451 Member
edited January 2015 in Motivation and Support
I know I've lost like 50 pounds, but I can't see it or feel it at all. It sucks. I've lost weight before, and I could always tell. Don't get me wrong, I can see it in my pictures, but no where else. I still feel like I'm 50 pounds heavier. Does anyone else feel this way? Its starting to really bum me out. I'm almost at my first goal, and I don't feel that excited high from losing weight. Any tips on this?

Replies

• acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 40 pounds and sometimes I feel like I didn't lose anything...but then I think of all the successes, 1. Lost a fair amount of weight 2. Have a great reason to go clothes shopping 3. My legs, arms and stomach are all smaller 4. I've changed my eating habits ..there are more but each time I feel down I look at all of the hard work I've put in and successes I'm having
    sending you some positive vibes, 50 pounds down is fantastic!
  • julzwild
    julzwild Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I really do understand the problem of your brain and eyes lagging behind. I don't really understand why it happens but it happened to me, too. I finally saw it at my halfway point and I was really happy for awhile, but my new problem is getting down to 10 lbs away from goal and being convinced that there is no way that it's going to be enough. But back to you.. Let me tell you something- the difference in your profile pictures is astounding. Honestly it looks like more than 50lb loss to me. Don't give up now. The excited high you're talking about is right around the corner when your clothes start falling off of you. You have done fantastic. Please stick with it!
  • sincerely4me1o0
    sincerely4me1o0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Maybe don't focus so much on how you look. Do your clothes fit better? Can you move around easier? Are you doing things in your life now that you weren't doing before? Congratulations on losing 50+lbs!
  • Xpecta
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thank you acmanna, :) Good job for you!

I guess the biggest success I can see for myself is my eating habits have truly changed. That's exciting for me.

I just wish I could see it physically.
  • Xpecta
    Options
    julzwild wrote: »
    I really do understand the problem of your brain and eyes lagging behind. I don't really understand why it happens but it happened to me, too. I finally saw it at my halfway point and I was really happy for awhile, but my new problem is getting down to 10 lbs away from goal and being convinced that there is no way that it's going to be enough. But back to you.. Let me tell you something- the difference in your profile pictures is astounding. Honestly it looks like more than 50lb loss to me. Don't give up now. The excited high you're talking about is right around the corner when your clothes start falling off of you. You have done fantastic. Please stick with it!

Thank you. I appreciate that. It gives me hope that you went through it too. I really do hope that it gets better soon! I don't plan to stop by any means. That's not going to help my situation at all.
  • OzGirlFit
    Options
    Signed up to reply to you!
    Not all improvements can be seen on the outside. But trust me they are there. Size isnt the only marker. How do you feel when you have to do something like walk somewhere, carry the groceries etc? Less effort to do that? What about exercise, if you do any is it feeling easier or you can move onto the next intensity level? Feeling less bloated? These are all signs of improvements and benefits to your cause. Stick at it, and before you know it there will be some outwardly noticable changes too. Congrats on the 50lbs so far!
  • Xpecta
    Options
    Maybe don't focus so much on how you look. Do your clothes fit better? Can you move around easier? Are you doing things in your life now that you weren't doing before? Congratulations on losing 50+lbs!

The thing is, I don't notice a difference in my clothes. That's one ofor the problems I'm Having. But I like my activity level.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Do other people see your loss?
  • Xpecta
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

On here they do because of my profile picture, but no one in real life yet. Unless I bring it up or show them a picture, then they say something like "Oh yeah, I noticed, but didn't say anything."
  • Xpecta
    Options
    OzGirlFit wrote: »
    Signed up to reply to you!
    Not all improvements can be seen on the outside. But trust me they are there. Size isnt the only marker. How do you feel when you have to do something like walk somewhere, carry the groceries etc? Less effort to do that? What about exercise, if you do any is it feeling easier or you can move onto the next intensity level? Feeling less bloated? These are all signs of improvements and benefits to your cause. Stick at it, and before you know it there will be some outwardly noticable changes too. Congrats on the 50lbs so far!

Thank you :) I'm touched that you did that!

Yes, I have noticed things like that are easier. I'm able to do new or different things in my workouts. Or I'm finding new ways to workout. I don't necessarily feel less bloated, but that time of the month is coming up :S
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I can tell I've lost weight, but since my current body pictures are more similar to my "before weight loss" pictures than they are to my "imaginary after weight loss" pictures in my head.... I am not very pleased with my progress.

The mind is very very powerful when it comes to what we see though. I've been depressed for almost two decades, but at my worst moments I lost 70 lbs and didn't even know it. I was still wearing the same clothes, never noticing a difference. So. I understand. Very much so.

Do you do any form of exercise? Maybe that will help you see a difference between the 'old' and the 'newer' you.
  • Xpecta
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I can tell I've lost weight, but since my current body pictures are more similar to my "before weight loss" pictures than they are to my "imaginary after weight loss" pictures in my head.... I am not very pleased with my progress.

The mind is very very powerful when it comes to what we see though. I've been depressed for almost two decades, but at my worst moments I lost 70 lbs and didn't even know it. I was still wearing the same clothes, never noticing a difference. So. I understand. Very much so.

Do you do any form of exercise? Maybe that will help you see a difference between the 'old' and the 'newer' you.

Thank you for understanding. I'm sorry for your depression. I've been there. It's terrible! Yes, I have a wide variety of exercises that I do. Right now I'm averaging 4 days a week. Between 30-60 minutes. I shoot for 60 most days.
  • Qskim
    Options
    The reason I ask is because at the beginning that was a goal of mine...keep going till someone notices. Hubs didn't see it till a friend commented. He didn't know I was on a mission.

It can sound vain but validation from those around you is motivating. No harm in admitting that and no harm in using that as part of your feedback loop to keep going until it is noticeable. By the time people noticed my weight going down I was so in the zone that I no longer needed their validation although it was nice for sure and it meant a goal was reached!

Also, I wore the same sized clothes through three drops in size physically without a huge discernible difference to myself or others. . I was too scared to shop for anything smaller because I didn't think I'd changed all that much.

You've done so well..truly. Dont look at what you have left to go. 5 more, 10 more lbs can make all the difference physically but you won't know until you do. So many changes to look forward to.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thank you for understanding. I'm sorry for your depression. I've been there. It's terrible! Yes, I have a wide variety of exercises that I do. Right now I'm averaging 4 days a week. Between 30-60 minutes. I shoot for 60 most days.

Thanks. I don't mention it for that reason, but just to say I understand. I agree with SKIM, you've done so well. Just stay positive.

You're really doing well.
  • OzGirlFit
    Options
    The mind can be evil sometimes. I know, I also look at myself and dont like it and then eat and be lazy and make it worse. Im having that phase right now as I restart my weight loss from a holiday pause.
    Its great youre doing exercise, and noticing results. Why not switch gears in your mind from focusing on how you look to what you can do. Give yourself a goal like running a 5k, and just build towards that. It'll take your mind off the scales and your body and focus on what your body can do. By developing a healthy eating program to give yourself the right foods for such training, together with the training itself you can really do amazing things. Before you know it, you'll have run that 5k and maybe look back and see other improvements too.
    I find its better to keep the mind occupied on other things so it doesnt get bored and start picking on the small things.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Xpecta wrote: »
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

On here they do because of my profile picture, but no one in real life yet. Unless I bring it up or show them a picture, then they say something like "Oh yeah, I noticed, but didn't say anything."

It's nice if others notice and acknowledge your hard work, but all you really need is your OWN validation and support. Keep it up - you look great!

Also, you say your clothes still fit the same. Possibly, and that's okay. That will change soon. In the meantime, have you gone shopping and tried on different, smaller clothes? You don't even have to buy anything. Just try on different things and I guarantee you will notice a difference! Key point, though: don't get too caught up in the actual number of the size; sizes vary drastically between brands. Just go see yourself in different things. I think it will help.
  • vuvboston
    Options
    Some thoughts are simply foul traps. You fall into them and you get caught and they hurt and they are not ok. This thought you are sharing is like that. Simple fact: You have changed a lot and it is for the best.

I visualize kicking trap thoughts away like a soccer ball, as far as I can, the minute they try to affect me. Not even giving them a second's worth of attention. Just kick them away.
  • Xpecta
    Options
    I can not even begin to tell you all how much you helped me! Today I felt SO much better! I didn't feel as hopeless, and I really felt that my goal was attainable. Thank you all so very very much for the kind words, and motivating things you said. I really needed the support like that. You gave me some great idea's on what to do, and how to keep myself from getting too down. I'm so very thankful!

Bless you all in your journey!
  • Qskim
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Xpecta wrote: »
    I can not even begin to tell you all how much you helped me! Today I felt SO much better! I didn't feel as hopeless, and I really felt that my goal was attainable. Thank you all so very very much for the kind words, and motivating things you said. I really needed the support like that. You gave me some great idea's on what to do, and how to keep myself from getting too down. I'm so very thankful!

Bless you all in your journey!

This year is the year you get it done and dusted for good.
  • Xpecta
    Options
    That is the plan! I've been on this journey for so long! Pregnancy has always gotten in the way. I've had six (Only three children) And it's just hindering no matter how much you love them!! So basically I made A sweeping declaration that I will NOT be pregnant this year!! Haha