Protein Powder Does it Really Work or Hype?

Options
dbanks80
dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
I started taking a protein powder (Now Sports Whey Protein Isolate) today to try and build/strengthen my muscles. I am strength training for a Tough Mudder this May.

The powder is horrible and I mix it with unsweetened Almond Milk but my friend swears by it and she is very toned.

Does protein powder really make a difference in building muscles or is it just another product?

Replies

• dbanks80
    Options
    Bump
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Protein powder is only a convenience food to use to supplement your daily protein intake. So if you are not getting enough protein from your diet from meats, dairy, vegetables, etc..., then you can use protein powder as a convenient way to add in additional protein.
    To build muscle you will need adequate food in surplus, with adequate amount of protein from said food (supplement with powder if necessary), and adequate lifting volume.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's just a liquid food that's high in protein and very convenient if you aren't hitting your protein goal with your regular food - nothing magic about it.

If your friend is "very toned" it's probably because she is about the right weight and does lots of exercise!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It makes a difference if you aren't hitting your protein macro. But if you get enough from food, it's pointless.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Protein powder makes no difference unless it allows you to get enough protein. They are not magical muscle building drinks. It is just food. You could get enough protein from other sources and as long as calories and macros were the same you would see the same results.

Forcing down some awful powder with unsweetened almond milk sounds terrible. Dont do it if you dont like it. Your friend is not giving themselves credit for the hard work they are doing. Dont fall for the marketing.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    It's protein
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If by "does it work" you mean, does it provide protein, then yes. Beyond that, it has no magical effect.

ETA: And you cannot lose weight and build muscle at the same time (except for very rare circumstances). If you would like to build muscle, you need to eat at a surplus and use resistance training. If you would like to lose weight and retain the muscle you have, eat sufficient protein and use resistance training.
  • deup
    deup Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Powders don't usually taste that aweful. Try a vanilla. Or a bland, that way you can add fruit or mixes to them to bring it to a taste you prefer. And they are great to have if your not hitting your macro for protein. Also great to have if your always on the go.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I need the protein supplements to hit my goals some days. It helps. No magic. Try a different supplement if you are having trouble hitting the bulking protein targets.
  • dbanks80
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am more concerned about toning and getting stronger. Not trying to mucle build. I eat least 65 grams per day in food. I am 5'9" 174 lbs.

I paid over $30 for this stuff so I am going to finish it and add some fruit to it.

Thanks everyone!
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder because I'm terrible at prepping meals and I end up short a lot of the time and the powder helps. Plus I have a banana one that makes me a happy camper. Besides that, it's not magic. It just helps.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I use Protein powder for breakfast because I go right to the office from swimming in the morning. Otherwise I have eggs, sausage, peppers, onions, and cheese :)
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Protein powder is basically just food. The protein shakes, and I like Optimum Nutrition best, have a decent amount of glutamine and aminos in it, that I need for recovery after lifting. That's probably the most important difference between protein from a cup of yogurt, compared to protein blend in the sports nutrition type shakes.

Personally, I need at least 120 g of protein per day, and my calorie allowance isn't high enough to get everything from other 'regular' food. I throw protein powder into everything, cook and bake with it, just to raise my intake.
    To get 'toned', the shakes alone won't do the trick. You will still have to strip some fat (count calories) and build up some muscles (lift heavy stuff)..
    Good luck!
  • DanoMammal
    DanoMammal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, if you are eating nutritiously there isn't really a need for it. There are plenty of more natural (and in my opinion, much healthier and better tasting) sources of protein out there - greek yogurt, nuts, beans, to name a few. If you eat more protein than your body can use it gets stored up anyways.

I'll be doing my 4th Tough Mudder this September and believe me when I say you don't need to 'bulk up' for this event. It's about 85-90% cardio/endurance, with some strength obstacles sprinkled in. Best ways to prepare (IMHO): work on your distance running (think 6 to 9 miles at a time), lots of burpees, and pull-ups. Congrats on signing up!
  • dbanks80
    Options
    DanoMammal wrote: »
    Like others have said, if you are eating nutritiously there isn't really a need for it. There are plenty of more natural (and in my opinion, much healthier and better tasting) sources of protein out there - greek yogurt, nuts, beans, to name a few. If you eat more protein than your body can use it gets stored up anyways.

I'll be doing my 4th Tough Mudder this September and believe me when I say you don't need to 'bulk up' for this event. It's about 85-90% cardio/endurance, with some strength obstacles sprinkled in. Best ways to prepare (IMHO): work on your distance running (think 6 to 9 miles at a time), lots of burpees, and pull-ups. Congrats on signing up!

Great info! That is good to hear. I run every other day 4-6 miles. I take Boot Camp sessions 3 days a week we do burpees there. I HATE burpees!!!!

• Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love protein powder for the reasons everyone has outlined above. Blend it with something nice - fruit, peanut butter... or even with ice cream and your favourite chocolate bar if you have the spare calories (and a powerful enough blender) to do that. You can also use it to make your own protein bars.
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder on days that I work out. I find it helps me feel fuller and keeps my energy up a little more. I haven't seen it make a difference for me in muscles, but I'm not trying to build a large amount of muscle.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've just discovered a plant-based protein powder that I really like: https://healthyskoop.com/products/53f51ba6086f140200b25d71 Tastes excellent with just almond milk.

Like others have said, is it a magic bullet to make you stronger, faster, and leaner? Of course not, but if you have a day where you can't get a full meal in post-workout or are lacking protein, it's a lifesaver.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It's a food. It's like asking if eating chicken breast works.
  • ng_jenice
    Options
    Whey protein helps you get that protein when you need it .