What to do the day after a binge?

Options
I've been trying to look online, and while I'm finding a lot of information, I'm not sure what to do.

Do you wake up and start the day like nothing happened and eat your allotted calories or do you try to eat less to counter-balance the damage from the night before?

Anyone else dealing with this who might be looking for friends or support, please add me! I'm sort of at my wit's end here.

Replies

• Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I just start as a fresh new day. But I would like to hear about this more.
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Options
    Drink lots of water to replenish and exercise. It makes me feel better. Good luck.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I cut down on calories the next day after a binge. I keep a regular breakfast so that it gets my metabolism going in the morning, but then I make sure to stay low in calories. Zig zagging calories is a good way to make your body burn up the excess food, and keep it on track.
  • makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options
    go back to normal eating , and keep a positive attitude.
  • emmajane_2288
    emmajane_2288 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just start a fresh day too, but I am extra careful about what I eat. - Meaning I eat the correct amount of calories but any small treats are a no no!

If I ate next to nothing the next day my body might get confused, and therefore all the fat that I ate the previous day might be stored as extra fat because my body might go into starvation mode!

I dont know if thats correct what I just said, thats just my theory :)
  • GeorgiaSlover
    Options
    Lots of water to flush out the bad stuff, and don't eat too few calories or you could be tempted to binge again that night.
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    I just start a fresh day too, but I am extra careful about what I eat. - Meaning I eat the correct amount of calories but any small treats are a no no!

If I ate next to nothing the next day my body might get confused, and therefore all the fat that I ate the previous day might be stored as extra fat because my body might go into starvation mode!

I dont know if thats correct what I just said, thats just my theory :)

That's actually a really good point and makes sense to me but what do I know. haha
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    NEVER restrict because of what happened the day before. You're only setting yourself up to fall again. Eat a proper breakfast and go on with your day, eating your recommended calories. Drink lots of water and most importantly, FORGIVE yourself and move on from here. You can do it!
  • beatricegreenough
    beatricegreenough Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have done the same thing the last couple of days. Sometimes I go exercise and start the day like any other day you are counting the calories. Start over. If you catch it right away, you won't gain the weight back. Just jump right on track today!!! Actually sometimes it can help with weight loss if you over indulge a few days, your body gets confused and kicks in the metabolism again. Of course that's if you have been cutting back for a while. Good luck!!!
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    Don't dwell on yesterday, get back on track TODAY!! Eat your allotted calories, but work your *kitten* off!! Need more encouragement? I'll totally "friend" you!!:smile:
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    For me, i take a balance day. Meaning the day after i just eat my three meals as normal i still eat fruit in between, but no unhealthy snacks that day. So a new, fresh day, with just a little bit of extra care not to go over my goal that day as well.
  • crazypenrod1508
    crazypenrod1508 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would recomend getting in a morning exercise. A really good one that will get your heart rate racing. It is good for you body obviously, but it will give you that extra motivation throughout the day to stay on track. Don't change your eating from what you are supposed to do. Don't eat less calories. Just stay on track and forget about the day before. Just keep looking forward. I agree with what was said before that if you try to lower your calories that you are putting youself in a position that you may binge again that night. It is so easy to get into a habit of saying it is ok if I eat bad today because I will be right back on track tomorrow. That key is to actually get back on track.
  • mehlen
    mehlen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    One of the big things to remember is that no one is looking over our shoulders going "Bad Girl." Those are old tapes that we picked up from elsewhere...and just like old worn out tapes...it needs to find a dumpster. Today is a new day. You had "fun" and now it's back to work...just like the weekends and work. Do you feel guilty because you went out during the weeekend and have to go to work on Monday? No. You go to work on Monday and get your job done. Simple. This is the same thing...okay...you binged yesterday. Time to go back to work today and "do your job" the way you know to do it. I guess in a nut shell I'm saying don't kick yourself and hop back on your plan. If you skimp on calories today you'll confuse your body into starting to store fat again...spread 'em out...to maintain your metabolism...and do some fun walking, or other type of exercise you enjoy. Reward yourself for jumping back on board by having fun doing it the right way. *hugs*
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Yep, fresh day and water like others have said.

Allow me to get technical, One day of binging does not make a life time of binging. I figure the most I ever ate in a single day was like 3,200 calories. Well that is barely over my maintenance level after losing 66 lbs. So the real effects are near zero.

That 3200 calories was from stuffing myself at a buffet. The only way I can figure I would ever go over that would be to eat just the worst foods on earth, candy, sugar saturated stuff, or fat and oil laden foods. So if you didn't eat the worst foods on earth you are probably alright.
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    I just start over knew but get some sort of workout in. If I binge on sweets I make sure not to eat them the next few days and drink extra water.
  • mjemerson
    mjemerson Posts: 141
    Options
    Start out the day new and eat my normal calories, I do not deprive myself because I don't want my body to start storing food as fat. Definitely drink lots of water and get in a workout somewhere.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends on the binge... If it was a one-time thing (or happens very rarely) and was just a day of eating too much of the wrong things, then just start the next day fresh. But if it happens very often, or if it was a really heavy binge (ie you ate a whole quart of ice cream or a whole cake or something), you may want to look at what is behind the binges. Most of the time, there are emotional reasons behind a binge, especially a pattern of binging. If you find yourself caught in a cycle of binging and then making up for it, there may be something else going on besides an unhealthy relationship with food, and it wouldn't hurt to bring it up with your doc and maybe get a referral to someone who can help you deal with whatever it is.

But, like most people said, if it was just a day off your diet, and only happens rarely, then don't sweat it, just move forward :)
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I go back to the normal routine. I do find though that i tend to be hungrier the next day especially if i've slipped a few days so i try and spread my calories out more so i'm not getting to the evening with no calories and then going over becuase i'm so hungry.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Someone else on these boards had a great quote which I think is applicable to these situations "When I was obese, one day of healthy eating didn't make me thin, so if I'm eating healthily for the rest of the time, one bad day isn't going to make me fat".

Think it sums up my feelings on it perfectly - don't worry about it, put it behind you, and carry on making the right decisions going forward.
  • crawdiddy01
    crawdiddy01 Posts: 22
    Options
    I have heard that when you sleep your body rests and so its not necessarily the calendar changing the day but sleeping that ends one day's cycle. That being said, doing extra to your body the day after a binge could actually hurt it. You need fuel to do well. Depriving yourself after a binge is counterproductive! And when it comes to exercise, well you should be doing all you can everyday anyway right?