Calories burned while strenght training

Options
I am just curious why strenght training does not add to calories burned? I know I have to be burning something while doing my weights because I work up a sweat but mfp does not show calories burned when I log it.

Replies

• Harleydiva68
    Harleydiva68 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I know, I wondered the same thing!!
  • 15off
    15off Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question and someone posted this link.
    Depressing...because I love my strength training and was focusing more on that, less on cardio because thats what all the "experts" have been saying as of late..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I add it under cardio (circuit training) and log the amount of calories I burned from my HRM. I will sometimes add the weights/reps done under the strength training.
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Maybe the link in the post above already says it, the problem is is that it's hard to measure how many you lost during your strength exercises. Using a database for that gives a great danger of over estimating. If you really want to know, get a cheap Heart Rate Monitor, like i did. Mine was only 30 euro (on sale instead of 50) and now when i do strength training i wear that and that way i CAN put in the calories that I lost.

The other day when i did crunches for 8 minutes, i (only) lost 20 calories. Then i put it in MFP as a cardio exercise called "strength training" and put in those 20 calories.
  • carlfry
    carlfry Posts: 62
    Options
    Strength training calories really depend on so many factors. Even a HRM won't be able to give you an accurate reading. Plus, unless you're doing hours of strength training, those little calories you burn could not possibly equal the same amount of time and calories burned doing cardio.
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    If you click on the cardio and look down the choices you should find strength training there. I enter my total minutes exercising and it gives you the calories burned. Then I go to exercises and click on the strength training and add my individual weight machines and then sets/reps etc. so I can keep track of what I have worked up to.

You most certainly burn calories during strength training. It just depends on how many by how strenuous your work out is, if you are doing circuit etc. Remember if you are moving, you are burning calories.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Maybe the link in the post above already says it, the problem is is that it's hard to measure how many you lost during your strength exercises. Using a database for that gives a great danger of over estimating. If you really want to know, get a cheap Heart Rate Monitor, like i did. Mine was only 30 euro (on sale instead of 50) and now when i do strength training i wear that and that way i CAN put in the calories that I lost.

The other day when i did crunches for 8 minutes, i (only) lost 20 calories. Then i put it in MFP as a cardio exercise called "strength training" and put in those 20 calories.

Actually, if you read the blog link, the opposite is true: HRMs cannot accurately measure calories burned during strength training.

I just use the database strength training numbers. They're low, but sometimes those 20-80 calories burned are just what I need to create a deficit.
  • nightingail
    nightingail Posts: 16
    Options
    I think the strength burning section is just for you to keep track. But if you go to the cardio section and type in strength training it will put it in there :)
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Something to bear in mind as well is that your metabolism is raised for a long time post workout with strength training (moreso than with cardio), and so even your HRM isn't going to give you an an accurate reading of the total calories you burn from your training session.
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    Strength training calories really depend on so many factors. Even a HRM won't be able to give you an accurate reading. Plus, unless you're doing hours of strength training, those little calories you burn could not possibly equal the same amount of time and calories burned doing cardio.

Those "little" calories add up and the strength training is to rebuild muscle, strengthen your body and to firm. Over all health and weight loss isn't just about the calories but overall body health. I average anywhere from 85 to 165 calories burned on the days I do my strength training but my muscle tone is so much improved and it has firmed up my body overall.
  • 15off
    15off Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've been reading lots about calories burned during resistance training. From a technical standpoint it is difficult to gage, however that does NOT mean there is no calorie burn. Resistance training helps to build muscle which uses more energy at rest than not having the muscle tissue..the leaner the body, the better. In general though people who are looking to loose weight must be 80% reliant on diet rather than exercise. It takes WAY more exercise than most people are willing or able to do on a regular basis to make up for over eating on a regular basis. Possibly long distance runners or other endurance athletes can "eat what they want" and will burn it off. The rest of us, have to eat less. (darn it!) :)