If you can't GO BIG...GO SMALL!!

It beats going home!

Do what you can only if it's a teeny weeny itty bit.

It's more than nothing and it gets you in the direction you want to go.

I know I can sometimes feel deflated and stupid and hopeless for only feeling up for walking 1/2 a mile an hour for 5 minutes...but sometimes that's what I do. Then I actually feel pumped up, smart and hopeful...because I did something good for myself. Even if it was just priming my body to remember that time of day is for exercise.

Best to you!

~M.C. Turtle

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Agreed :)

Something is better than nothing. Years ago I did Weight Watchers and the leader talked about a woman who started exercising by standing up and walking in place during television commercials. That might not seem like much but it was huge for her because it was her moving in the right direction. Every little bit helps.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    True. Small changes are great too.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Totally agree. Small changes build up to big improvement. It's how Mount Everest is scaled.
    One station at a time.
  • This is a good way of thinking. It helps us to not give up or get discouraged when we simply don't have the time. We may not always have 30minutes to spare but we most definitely have 5!
  • yolo9752
    yolo9752 Posts: 69 Member
    Agree! It all adds up!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Yep 5 minutes is better than zero minutes.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    I operate with the ten minute rule: if I really don't want to go to the gym, I promise to go for just ten minutes (I live 5 mins away so not a huge commitment). But: almost every time I stay longer and really am happy I did :D . and on the days I don't stay? Whelp, at least ten minutes is better than nothing!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    I love this and it is so true! bkerr30 - 100% agree with this strategy. If I do not feel like working out, I will do the warmup, plus maybe another 5 mins and if I am still not feeling up to it, I allow myself to have an unscheduled rest day (or who knows, sometimes I feel better in the evening or afternoon!)

:D Great Reminder!
  • Wow! I came back to this thread and got inspired by everyone. Thanks back at you all!

bkerr30 - I don't know if your 10 minute idea is in this book, but your comment made me think of this book. I used to have it and I liked a lot of the ideas in it:

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Personal-Trainer-Energize-Workouts-ebook/dp/B000FC1K20/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422581246&sr=1-3