Heart Rate Monitor

Options
What heart rate monitor do you all use? Do you think it is necessary to have?

Replies

• amazing_grace♥
    Options
    I need to get one too... so I'm interested to see what ppl recommend. I have an app on my phone that does it, but I don't think its very accurate.
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    Im interested too! I want one but am on a budget! Im guessing you pay for quality though with these things.
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    Im interested too! I want one but am on a budget! Im guessing you pay for quality though with these things.
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    I have no idea why i just posted that twice. I dont even know how to delete a post!!!
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Polar ft7. Very accurate, I think! I love it! found out that I burn less calories than the pre-set numbers on here by a significant amount. I've heard of others who burn much more! :)

The Polars seem to be the most recommended. You'll want one that has a chest strap, and the more information you input, the more accurate the reading.
  • elisebb
    elisebb Posts: 5
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60 and I absolutely love it. It's quite expensive, so if you don't want to spend that much, the FT4 or FT7 model seem pretty good too!
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I bought a Cresta PM 383. It was on sale for 30 euro's instead of 50. Works very great and very useful to have.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I just bought one, a cheaper one, can't afford the higher quality but I can't figure out how to use it. The one I got looks like a watch and has a "fingerprint" sensor on the side thats supposed to show a little beating icon and it doesn't. It's a "Pulse". I got it on Ebay for $14.95
  • stepherjensen
    stepherjensen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am on a budget too - but I figure I'm going to wait until I'm down 20lbs and treat myself - I can't afford more than $120ish. I found a Suunto M2 through Sportchek here in Canada that's $124.99 (EDIT: it was on sale for that much, it's now $129.99 - boo) - it has excellent reviews and it is a lot more affordable than a polar. That is my goal - only 6lbs more to go and it's mine! :D

Check it out: http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=11113369
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I use one of the Polar models and have been using Polar HRMs for years. Having used Garmin, Polar, and Timex, I've found that Polar is one of the best out there, especially when it comes to accurate calorie counting.

For basic heart rate monitoring, I'd recommend one of the Polar FT series watches. You can get the FT1 for about $60. I usually get my HRMs from heartratemonitorsusa.com.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Ok I didnt have a HRM and got one second hand I have a PolarFt7. I used to enter my workouts in MFP and take 100 - 150 calories from what they posted. I am glad I did that because what MFP says is WAY WAY off of what calorie burn from my HRM. Get one with a chest strap is the only thing. Having it makes it so your calories are more correct than just using apps.
    I would invest in one it makes a difference for sure
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am a big fan of Polar (one of their Ambassadors) and they have a wonderful line of HRM. I have been using their products for about a year and a half.

I started with the FT7, but after 8 months, I graduated to the FT80, which gave me GPS, Fitness Tests (VO2max), a visual display of my HR, Strength Training detail (add you entire lifting routine into the watch) and a great online community that supports me through challenges (uploading through a Flow Link accessory). I use it for the elliptical, tennis and weight lifting.

Online the FT80 lists at 349. I have seen it as low as 229 (with a Flow Link) at heartratemonitorusa.com.

See the results:

http://www.polar.fi/en/polar_community/polar_people/Andrew

A great basic HR monitor is the FT4 (about $70 online). When you step up to the FT 7, FT40 FT60 & FT80 they can all upload results to polarpersonaltrainer.com...each adds a feature up the line and you should select a monitor that matches your lifestyle/budget.

See their website:

http://www.polar.fi/en/
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Timex T5G971. It should be here tomorrow. It got great reviews and it was ony $40.00. I'll let you know how it does.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4, Target for 90$ - can't beat it for price, availability, features, and accuracy. Come with a chest strap, easy to setup, use, and wear.
  • fitag
    fitag Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just bought the polar ft7 to replace my old f11 and I love it. Quite basic and not complicated. Very easy to use.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hi I have a Beurer PM70 I love it (and hate it) I love that is gives me really accurate measurements of my heart rate, also of my speed and distance for walking and running (it has a chest strap and a foot pod) I love the software that it comes with, it is brilliant.

HOWEVER if you want your hrm solely for the calorie count dont go anywhere near it, it gives me a pittance like a third to a half of what the database here gives.... I have been really disappointed on that score as I eat my exercise calories and now i have so few to eat!!!

In all other aspects it is fantastic
  • em_lou007
    em_lou007 Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi!

I wanted something accurate but without too many functions (and fairly cheap) so after ALOT of research I went for the Polar FT4. It's fantastic, just what I wanted - easy to use and set up, heart rate, calories burned, time in zone, timer for active workouts and of course a clock. The best price I found was on Amazon so no matter what you decide on i'd check there first!

Good luck xx
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Depends what you want it for. I have just got a Polar FT7 and I failed to research properly. If I had done I would have seen that it doesn't have a GPS so it doesn't track distance. As I mainly run outside that is what I really wanted.

Agree with others that it is the only way to get an accurate calorie burn - way less than on my phone app or on MFP I'm afraid but you soon get used to it.

I hope to upgrade to one with GPS or a Garmin, but can't afford it / justify the expense at the moment.

Hope everyone's advice helps you.

Good luck!
  • em_lou007
    em_lou007 Posts: 117
    Options
    Ok I didnt have a HRM and got one second hand I have a PolarFt7. I used to enter my workouts in MFP and take 100 - 150 calories from what they posted. I am glad I did that because what MFP says is WAY WAY off of what calorie burn from my HRM. Get one with a chest strap is the only thing. Having it makes it so your calories are more correct than just using apps.
    I would invest in one it makes a difference for sure

Completely agree!
  • KimA1
    KimA1 Posts: 47
    Options
    I bought a Timex originally trying not to spend too much and when it came I realized it didn't count calories burned which is part of what I wanted. I returned it and got the Polar FT4 and love it!