Tips to avoid snacking?

Options
In my attempt to avoid snacking I've semi-decided on drinking tea whenever I get hungry between meals. I figured this would help curb my appetite and keep my water intake up to speed. But part of me worries that if I fill myself on tea between meals I won't be substantially hungry come lunch or dinner and would end up self-sabotaging. Do you think this is a sound idea? Does anyone maybe have other ideas to avoid snacking between meals?

Replies

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Is snacking between meals causing you to go over tour calorie goal? If it isn't, there's nothing wrong with it. If you're getting hungry, what are your protein, fat, fiber ratios in the meals you do eat? I find if I get a good amount of fat and fiber, I'm more satiated then with something carby. It's an experiment to find a balance that works for you :)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I read about just eating a calcium fortified Tums or antacid. They are good for you with calcium and I did find they knock the edge off of a hunger pang. The normal ammount to take is 2-4 every 4 hours. I just pop 2 and it does work pretty well.

Since I drink less milk now I probably need the calcium :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Eat more fulfilling meals, or allow snacks that are low cal but filling.

If I get hungry or crave something between meals, I kind of compromise with myself. Before I eat the food I am craving (be it chips, something sweet, popcorn etc) I make myself eat a piece of fruit or serving of veggies. For instance, when I cam home from work, I had all new groceries in the house and I wanted to devour the bag of chips I bought. Instead I had an orange and then took out one serving of chips and put it away. I found I couldn't even eat the entire serving.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Why avoid snacks? If you mean like chips and such... then switch it out for some fruits or veggie sticks. I personally eat those Nature Valley bars as a snack. There's nothing wrong with snacking... just make better choices. If you do want chips and such, I suggest to get a serving size out of the package, put the package out of sight, and enjoy your serving. There's nothing wrong with that either. Just make things fit into your daily calories. :flowerforyou:
  • slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the worst thing to do if you are hungry is not to eat. I got rid of my crappy, high calorie, crunchy, salty snacks and got better, lower calorie, salty, highly process snack foods ;)

Well actually, I moved to yogurts, cups of whole grain cereals, and those packs of imitation crab meat. I still probably don't eat the healthiest of foods, but I eat better than I did.

Coffee is good at curbing hunger at times (I'm not a big tea drinker, but I think tea will probably have the same effect).

If you are snacking because you are bored, get unbored. Find something to do when you are bored.

Another thing I do is I will cook a meal for myself (like for lunch, I cooked Tater Tots and a piece of pork tenderloin). Rather than eat it in a sitting, I will drag my meal out for an hour or so. I'll eat a bit, clean, eat a bit more, take trash out, eat some more, surf the web, etc...
  • MrRex_91
    MrRex_91 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Excellent notions, all of you! Thank you very much! I'll try to grab healthier snack options and fix up my meals and how I eat them. Thank you!
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I embrace snacks. :) I like to eat frequently, and I just plan for it. I have snacks that I have found that work for me, and I end up usually eating something every 2-3 hours. One thing that does help me is knowing which kinds of foods keep me feeling satisfied the longest. I don't snack on things like just a piece of fruit or some veggies. Those will not keep me satisfied for long. But combining fruit with a small handful of nuts or some peanut butter, veggies or chips with hummus, or some string cheese...that will get me MUCH farther without being hungry. I try to always include protein & fat in my snacks.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I am a grazer. The beast needs to be fed through out the day so I make sure that my calories in my meals allow for a morning snack and afternoon snack.

Morning snack is typically an apple with mini babybel cheese and afternoon snack is typically almonds and protein bar.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Your number one tip to avoid snacking:

(1) Avoid Snacking: Don't snack.

Simple. Easy.

Guaranteed to work.

Every time.

Seriously - just try to "fill yourself up" on tea a few times. Report back on your worries ...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have to avoid snacking like avoiding the plague. I am considering a lock on the pantry that has to be unlocked by someone other than myself..

But seriously, don't do it. I hate my self if I load up on calories that are not within my deficit especially when it comes time to weigh in the next week.

• Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It depends on what snacks do to you.

For me, grabbing a small amount of something healthy or proteiny when I'm peckish between meals stops me grabbing a whole lot of something less healthy. I've recently discovered that my brain thinks blueberries are sweets. These are now my favourite snack. :) Snacking also seems to stop me overeating at mealtimes. So I make plenty of room for snacks in my calorie allowance.

If snacks have the opposite effect on you and keep tipping you over your calorie goal, then whatever keeps you from snacking is a good idea. Tea, water, soda, gum, taking a walk, not buying snack foods or popping blueberries like they're M&M's... Whatever works.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    In my attempt to avoid snacking I've semi-decided on drinking tea whenever I get hungry between meals. I figured this would help curb my appetite and keep my water intake up to speed. But part of me worries that if I fill myself on tea between meals I won't be substantially hungry come lunch or dinner and would end up self-sabotaging. Do you think this is a sound idea? Does anyone maybe have other ideas to avoid snacking between meals?

if snacking fits into your calorie goals, then why not do so?

I drink water and tea sometimes Zevia and eat snacks in between my three meals. I love them. Meal timing or how many times you eat a day have nothing to do with weight loss. It's all about personal preference. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I have to avoid snacking like avoiding the plague. I am considering a lock on the pantry that has to be unlocked by someone other than myself..

But seriously, don't do it. I hate my self if I load up on calories that are not within my deficit especially when it comes time to weigh in the next week.
    There is nothing wrong with snacking, you just have to choose foods you like that fit into your calorie/macro goals.
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I drink tea and it does stop me snacking. It took me a while and some experimentation to find a tea that I liked. My favorite is Pukka Peppermint and Licorice which tastes quite sweet and is very refreshing.

I am not sure if you can get it outside the UK but here is a link.

http://www.pukkaherbs.com/pukka-products/pukka-teas/peppermint-licorice-(1)/

Some of the other teas I tried were pretty foul!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Snacks are fine; just plan them into your day's calorie allowance.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion is chew gum. That also helps me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

You seen this? http://www.thekitchensafe.com/
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I read about just eating a calcium fortified Tums or antacid. They are good for you with calcium and I did find they knock the edge off of a hunger pang. The normal ammount to take is 2-4 every 4 hours. I just pop 2 and it does work pretty well.

Since I drink less milk now I probably need the calcium :)

I wouldn't suggest this.

• gin_fb33
    Options
    I drink water, chew a piece of gum, have a hard boiled egg or a cup of fresh spinach with some homemade balsamic dressing if I feel hungry between meals. For me, usually the water or gum trick works the best as I'm not usually hungry, but bored.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Eat more small meals throughout the day. String cheese here, almonds there, light greek yogurt every now and then, apple, orange, with lots of water in between. There's plenty of small filling snacks out there. I just found a new one. It's called a "Think Thin" bar. It's got 10 grams of protein and it's only 150 calories.