Paleo Peeps?

Options
Any Paleo peeps out there on a weight loss or healthy lifestyle adventure?
For those that are not aware, Paleo Eating is eating like our ancient ancestors would have eaten, before fast food, production lines and preservatives. It is good wholesome food. No grains. No dairy. No processed sugars. And no legumes.
Seems restrictive? Not really....you get to indulge in meat (grass fed preferably), veggies and fruits, nuts and seeds and pure oils. It does take a lot of research and prep work to find your balance but is incredibly rewarding.
I have finally solved a big part of my digestive issues. My skin, hair and joints feel better. Eliminating grain intake is medically proven to reduce inflammations in the body and thereby decrease the body's susceptibility to disease and illness, including diabetes, cancer, dementia, Alzheimer's, and many more conditions.

I have been primarily Paleo for 2 years now, and while maintaining some previous weight loss, I am looking to shed the last of the weight to reach my goals. Now, my goals are not strictly based on weight....I am really seeking "comfort". Comfort in my own skin, my own clothes etc. now I do realize that is as much a mental aspect of my journey as it is physical, but I am introducing other "Paleo" aspects into my life. I have recently joined a crossfit gym. The workouts are intense! And incorporate whole body movement, I love that every day is different and challenging. I can feel myself getting stronger already.

So why am I on a forum? Looking for others with a similar lifestyle to share their stories and experiences, possible recipes and definitely to share their motivation and interest. If you are interested feel free to post.

Roxy

Replies

• MajorMusic13
    MajorMusic13 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I can't say I am currently paleo, but my husband came home the other day and announced starting in February I want to go paleo. I am game to try it with him. I am already gluten free and avoid most grains. I think the hardest thing to avoid for both of us is dairy. We love cheese. Do you have any tips to help us get started? We have already planned a pantry clean out to get rid of non paleo temptations.

Thanks,

Kim
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Ancient man had access to a crossfit gym.

Cool.

Also, you eat nothing that has come off a production line? Hardcore. I imagine most modern produce, even the most hemp sandled organic sort go through a production line of some description.

Also, how do you manage eating raw meat, I imagine that takes some getting used to? Ya know, because ancient man really wouldn't be bothered sticking a grass fed joint in his double range duel fuel stove.
    Eliminating grain intake is medically proven to reduce inflammations in the body and thereby decrease the body's susceptibility to disease and illness, including diabetes, cancer, dementia, Alzheimer's, and many more conditions.

I'd love to read the evidence, can you point me in the right direction?

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Paleo is good for people with digestive issues, but it's hardly some magic cure all.

I eat 'primal' most of the time because I like that style of eating and it's easy to fall within my macros intuitively. Most of the time I can just plug in my day's eating and find I'm within 100 calories of my target with no real planning. It's also helped me appreciate that dietary fat isn't the enemy. My cholesterol has gone down and blood work has looked great since I started eating 'primal'.

It's worth doing a few weeks of for anyone interested in it. If you feel better without some things as part of your diet, then go ahead and keep them out or just eat them rarely. I kept out grains and legumes, and put back in low lactose dairy like cheese and whey protein.
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've been Paleo for the last year and a half, maintaining without tracking. I'm tracking now to lose some weight. For me this is a great way to eat. Love me some grass fed meat!
    You will probably find more positive support on some of the Paleo groups, such as community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group .
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Because eating like the people who had lifespans of maybe 30 years is totally going to make you healthier. But if you think it works for you, go for it.
  • Jimmy_Jack
    Jimmy_Jack Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I did Paleo for about 6 months. It was a great way to break myself of bad eating habits, eating out (fast food) and doing a restart on my digestion and eating habits. I have gone off of full paleo and now eat some dairy (yogurt/cottage cheese), brown rice and lentils. I still do almost zero wheat. The rest of my diet is home cooked meat and vegetables with some fruit and nuts. I couldn't afford the whole grass fed thing.

I eat no processed foods other than butter, minimally processed coconut oil and things like that. I eat zero food out of boxes or fast food (save the occasional Chik Fil A with my kids). I've almost completely gone soda free unless I just want one. Maybe two servings a month.

I suggest Paleo as a good way to break yourself of the standard poor diet most of us are trying to free ourselves of. While I was 95% paleo I felt great...was not hungry.

As my exercises increased I found it difficult to maintain certain nutrition goals without spending more money. I am on one income with a wife and two children. I had to dial it back some for the $ and convenience.

The biggest takeaway with Paleo is this. If you can kill eat, pull it from the ground or a tree you can eat it. They focus a lot of avoiding certain foods (dairy, legumes, gluten and a few others) because they say those items are counter to our digestive system. Take from that what you will. I still avoid gluten/wheat. Mostly because I really don't need it.

I was able to realise that food is fuel for my body. Now I ask myself...what is this food item doing for my body. Is there a better alternative to this particular item. If item "A" is high in protein but also sodium...is item "B" better suited for my diet and goals. Now...if its a cheat meal or a celebration then who cares...after all you have to live.

98% of my diet is based on this thought process. In doing this over time I was able to build my own list of foods that are acceptable and interchangeable. Plus...they are tasty.

I've lost 95 pounds in 8 months like this...and with CrossFit.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Because eating like the people who had lifespans of maybe 30 years is totally going to make you healthier. But if you think it works for you, go for it.

Unfortunately people (on both sides) get hung up on this. The actual paleolithic diet was an inspiration for the diet, not the actual guiding principle.
  • pope705
    Options

They died of wild animal attacks and exposure. That's why they didn't live past 30.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Grains and dairy make the bulk of my food, and I'm not a big fan of meat so the bulk of my protein comes from dairy and beans. Paleo would be horrible for my food preferences, but I hope you find some like-minded people to connect with.
  • dawnzerlylight
    Options
    pope705 wrote: »

They died of wild animal attacks and exposure. That's why they didn't live past 30.

The "30" number is an average that was mostly due to high infant mortality rate as well. If they got past childhood without dying they usually lived a good deal past 30. People want to nit pick though.
  • brandyme
    brandyme Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Wow, people can be so judgmental. SMH

I just ended Whole30 a few days ago and actually have continued the same eating patterns because it suits me. I enjoy the food, I do not eat out, I am satisfied and have lost 10lbs in the last month. Which is great in my book!

I plan to stay on Paleo with some minor modifications. I think a lot of us are sensitive to some types of food but just don't know it. I am going to have a test done to see if I am sensitive to anything but in the meantime I feel much better when eliminating grains, legumes, dairy, alcohol, and added sugars.

Although I do think it's very important to pay attention to your macros to be sure you're eating enough carbs. Paleo could easily turn into a low carb diet. I know it's not intended to be but if you do not get enough veggies, it would be easy to do.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Ancient man had access to a crossfit gym.

Cool.

Also, you eat nothing that has come off a production line? Hardcore. I imagine most modern produce, even the most hemp sandled organic sort go through a production line of some description.

Also, how do you manage eating raw meat, I imagine that takes some getting used to? Ya know, because ancient man really wouldn't be bothered sticking a grass fed joint in his double range duel fuel stove.
    Eliminating grain intake is medically proven to reduce inflammations in the body and thereby decrease the body's susceptibility to disease and illness, including diabetes, cancer, dementia, Alzheimer's, and many more conditions.

I'd love to read the evidence, can you point me in the right direction?
    <3
  • pope705
    Options
    brandyme wrote: »

I just ended Whole30 a few days ago and actually have continued the same eating patterns because it suits me. I enjoy the food, I do not eat out, I am satisfied and have lost 10lbs in the last month. Which is great in my book!

I plan to stay on Paleo with some minor modifications. I think a lot of us are sensitive to some types of food but just don't know it. I am going to have a test done to see if I am sensitive to anything but in the meantime I feel much better when eliminating grains, legumes, dairy, alcohol, and added sugars.

Although I do think it's very important to pay attention to your macros to be sure you're eating enough carbs. Paleo could easily turn into a low carb diet. I know it's not intended to be but if you do not get enough veggies, it would be easy to do.

Glad you enjoyed your whole30 experience! It certainly is an eye opener! And you are correct... eat your veggies!
  • trifitkitty13
    Options
    I am very paleo-ish. Been allergic to gluten, legumes and diary my whole life, so when paleo came around I was super excited about all the recipes that I could eat! I occasionally add in some brown rice here and there. For me it's about eating whole foods, that I cook myself and I know where they come from. Also the difference between traditionally raised meat and commercially raised meat is HUGE. Yes it's expensive, but I feel as Americans we tend to eat a ridiculous amount of meat. So if you portion accordingly and make most of your meals plant based it really isn't that expensive.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Glad you enjoyed your whole30 experience! It certainly is an eye opener! And you are correct... eat your veggies!

Love it - converting over full-time - I am doing a once/week "cheat" to get rid of my frozen chili that has beans in it. Not buying anymore - my digestive tract feels much better already.

For those who think it's not healthy (MarziPanda this means you), I completely disagree. Eating fruits, vegetables (no potatoes), grass-fed meat, wild salmon, and nuts (not named Peanuts) is actually one of the healthiest things you can do diet-wise. Any doctor would not only applaud, but probably write out a Certificate of Achievement for eating the very foods they profess to be the healthiest on Earth.

Never heard of anyone eating fresh fruits, vegetables, grass-fed meats, salmon, and nuts (among other things Paleo, just a sample for this little write-up) dying of something by the age of 30 - or whatever. That's pure hysteria talking. Or denial - whatever it is, it's ridiculous.

Cheers - joined the community on here as well. I love Paleo. Lost 50# and wasn't even tracking for the first 35#. Ate plenty to feel full - exercise is stellar. Not interested in the Western Cancer-laden Processed Foods diet - we can leave that to those in the world who believe dying by the age of 50 is a good idea eating that garbage. That includes the pro-sugar lobby here on MFP - and their pro-CICO brethren as well.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Roxy - there's a group on here that's pretty active:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group
  • LaraineCraig
    LaraineCraig Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! And to think I was just looking for some like minded individuals....stirred up a few people I guess. Paleo isn't for everyone, but it works well for this girl and she will stick with it.

The diet mimics the Paleolithic era, as does the exercise, it is not an exact replica. After all I am sure I could burn more calories if I was chased by a "hadn't eaten in a week" TRex !

Russ, a great book to start with is Grain Brain. Just for insight.

Thank you to those who requested being friends and suggested forums to join for Paleo supporters, it is much appreciated.

To those just starting out, give it a pn honest go....your life could change, just like mine has!

In health,
    Roxy
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

and their pro-CICO brethren as well.

You do realize that EVERY diet falls under the CICO umbrella? It's not an either/or situation, it's an "and" situation.

• croooz
    croooz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Snarky comment to prove to you how dumb your choice is.

Back-handed compliment on your choice being a good choice for you.
  • LaraineCraig
    LaraineCraig Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just trying to lighten the mood and add some humour to the board.
    Not intended to be anything else.