What do you guys think about waist training????

Options
I'm sure we've all seen or heard about someone waist training. What are your opinions on it? Have you tried it yourself? Does it really work? Does it harm your insides as some people say?

Replies

• holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It's silly. It's the same as using a corset. It gets you in absolutely no better shape, it just moves your existing fat around. Do you really want to wear a super tight uncomfortable corset for the rest of your life just to push around your stomach fat?

To me, this is a huge waste of time. Just eat healthy and lose the fat, then you won't have to worry about it to begin with.

In the meantime, you could get Spanx to hold everything together for a particular outfit or occasion. But just tone up and lose the fat the real way. Waist training is a ridiculous cop out to actually getting in shape.
  • kmayers143
    kmayers143 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »
    It's silly. It's the same as using a corset. It gets you in absolutely no better shape, it just moves your existing fat around. Do you really want to wear a super tight uncomfortable corset for the rest of your life just to push around your stomach fat?

To me, this is a huge waste of time. Just eat healthy and lose the fat, then you won't have to worry about it to begin with.

In the meantime, you could get Spanx to hold everything together for a particular outfit or occasion. But just tone up and lose the fat the real way. Waist training is a ridiculous cop out to actually getting in shape.

I agree with you in a way. But I am working out hard 5 days a week and eating clean. Wasn't thinking about replacing my workouts and clean eating, just thinking about adding to it to get the shape I want. Just becuase last time I lost weight, I didn't have to much of a shap. But heard it was hard on your organs also.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I think corsets are awesome, pretty and fun to wear. I think waist training is ridiculous. A latex/rubber waist trainer won't harm your insides or change your shape.

Years of daily wearing of a steel boned corset? Maybe.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    kmayers143 wrote: »
    holly55555 wrote: »

I agree with you in a way. But I am working out hard 5 days a week and eating clean. Wasn't thinking about replacing my workouts and clean eating, just thinking about adding to it to get the shape I want. Just becuase last time I lost weight, I didn't have to much of a shap. But heard it was hard on your organs also.

Then you probably lost muscle along with fat last time? Also, why was there a last time? Are you making lasting changes that you can adhere to for after you've lost weight?

To retain your muscle, it's recommended about 1g per pound of lean body mass in protein and aresistance training program (ideally weightlifting but bodyweight can still be beneficial). Your shape will also come down to genetics. You can't alter the cards you've been dealt. Again, taking weight loss slow and trying to retain muscle will help but there are some things we have to live with as individuals (for me it's that most of my fat is displaced in my stomach).

Fat loss when we lose weight is predisposed to come off where it may so corsets aren't going to magically change your shape. You might get an illusion while you wear it but, to me, it isn't worth it as a means to actually alter yourself.
  • llkemp
    llkemp Posts: 15
    Options
    i guess I'm lost I have no idea what waist training is. so I gather what ever it is I don't want to do.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    neer heard of waist training........i have seen those waist trainer belts though at walmart.....that are supposed to wrap around, and hold in your body heat, which cause you to sweat away your water weight around the midsection.........but it's just that....water weight.......
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I thought you meant weight training and was all for it, but this waist training sounds like shenanigans to me.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ew. :astonished::confounded::dizzy_face: :disagree: :warning:
    No. Just, no.

Yes, it moves your internal organs, sometimes does permanent damage, and affects some function (things like intestines, stomach, lungs). That's why women who wore corsets were frequently fainting.

If you want to affect your waist shape in a healthy way, eat lower fat, do weightlifting, be sure to do exercises to strengthen your core muscles, and you'll slim & tone your waist.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Between this question and the speeding up metabolism by eating more frequently question you asked, I'd be wary of who is giving you these ideas.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Waist training is a ridiculous idea. I don't anything like that would or could have a good effect on your organs. If you need any other thought on the matter...Kim K supports waist training...for me enough said.
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I saw this lady on CNN a few weeks ago who did it. Now, I cannot remember if she got her waist down to 12 inches or 16 inches - either way, that cannot be healthy. She looked really weird in pants too, because the waist was down around her hips. I didn't get it. She wore one of those whale boned corsets all day every day. She didn't look so horrible in a dress, but geeze. I was wondering how dresses even fit her because she had some decent sized hips. The only thing I've ever done was wear a girdle while working out to help with my stomach - that's it. I have a phobia of being restricted, so no ma'am, I can't do it.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I know some lovely ladies that waist train, but maybe not in the way you intend. I can reduce 5-6 inches, but that's from years and years of wearing corsets (well-made corsets, at that). It's a passion of mine, but it hasn't left a noticeable impression on my shape. The change is only apparent when I am laced in.

You want to change your shape? Pick up heavy things. It's worked wonders for mine!
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I did this a couple of years ago, not as a replacement for proper diet and exercise, but as something that made me have more of a waist than what I have naturally. I never had a very small waist, not even when I was at my smallest size in high school. My sides and stomach just sort of went straight down, no dip in at all. Once I got the hang of it, I enjoyed waist training, and loved the look it gave me. But alas, I couldn't stand to continue it during the hot summers.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think its ridiculous

But I like corsets ..I think they're pretty
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjKAUH2g3Zb13YAXVlxJUj-ZjORRjruOF5dtHBhzv0oDzpsVfjwQ
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've watched a lot of youtube video's over this concept. I've never wanted to do it to 'change' my body per say; maybe help look good in certain outfits. But the part that intrigued me was pros that it can help with having a good posture. I slouch a lot in my stomach area, and working at a desk job really hasn't helped this fact over the years. This was why I thought it'd help me. Sit up, suck my gut in, have good posture...all while making better habits eating/exercising.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I think its ridiculous

But I like corsets ..I think they're pretty

+1
    but change the word pretty to sexy.
  • CamoGirl1985
    CamoGirl1985 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Lol Roxiegirl2008.... I thought the same thing, " Sounds like something Kim K would make up"! I agree with others that it could probably do permenant damage to your internal organs. Sounds like it could cause a bowel obstruction or something.... yikes! Someone else posted about the rubber waist bands that help shed water weight. Those work and so does saran wrap. Ha ha... I know it sounds funny, but it does the same thing. I wouldn't suggest doing it all the time, because it could dehydrate you.... but you could do it the night before a special event and it may help your waist look a half inch smaller. May help you fit into that LBD for a night out! ;)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like my organs where they are, thanks.
  • allie_oop_07
    allie_oop_07 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Corseting may give you a better shape and help smooth everything out but the mistake most people make when corseting is buying a ready-made corset. Those things aren't worth anything. They have no room in the hip, they are made of flimsy material, and half the time they have plastic boning. A good custom made corset will set you back $200-$300.

Besides, most of the time your body will go back to the way it is after you take the corset off. It may smooth out your love handles (like if you were to wear only high waisted jeans) and give you better support if you have big boobs, but if you stopped wearing it and switched back to hiphugger jeans and regular bras your body is probably going to go back to the way it is now.

As for damage to your ribs and stuff, you would need a really bad corset or to be lacing from a very young age. Most of the damage was from tight lacing and lacing from the age of six. As an adult you should be fine.